Bike theft vs comfort

ustulation

Just Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Troon, South Ayrshire
Hey guys, i live in Troon and will soon have my office relocated to Ayr UWS campus so the round trip is ~18 miles (9miles each way). My eyes were set on volt-pulse: http://www.voltbikes.co.uk/pulse-hybrid-electric-bike.php and looks magnificient. However it struck me that this will be a stand out bike and thief-target-friendly. KFC etc. don't allow bikes in drive-through. I also don't think Morrisons/Tesco etc allow a proper bike to be hauled inside their stores. In all cases I'll have to lock it outside and am very uncomfortable having such expensive a bike out of sight. So that basically limits the bike usage to just commute where at either ends I'll have the bike parked in sight.

Then I thought I could go for a folding bike instead: http://www.voltbikes.co.uk/metro-folding-electric-bike.php

This is probably not going to give me the same oomph but i can fold it and keep it with me wherever i go - so peace of mind. But the commute on a 20 inch wheel, 17 inch frame for 18 mile round trip didn't sound very attractive.

I am also choosing Volt bikes because
1) the LBS retailer is just walking distance away from my house
2) 2 years warranty
3) They say it's rain proof (unlike Woosh etc but i maybe wrong: Edit: This info about Woosh seems to be wrong as answered below - Woosh bikes do claim they are rainproof: http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?support) and most of the days here are rainy.

Just wanted advice. What would you guys suggest - go for Pulse or Metro or some other ebike ? It's maybe a question of comfort and oomph vs practicality, not sure.

My height: 186cm (without shoes ofc)
Inseam: 35 inches

Pulse: 19 (26inch wheels) or 20.2 (700c) inch frame size (I was going for 20.2)
Metro: 17 inch frame size and 20 inch wheels.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

I'd say forget about a folding electric bike. They're too big and cumbersome for the sort of use you're planning. They're great for occasional folding to put in the boot of a car or in a campervan. You certainly wouldn't be able to take one into Tescos. Try it out at the bike shop: Fold it inside, then carry it outside through the door and then back again (if they'll let you).

Parking a normal electric bike while you go shopping shouldn't be a problem if you have a decent lock and don't park it in a dark corner.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ditto, forget the folders and use a full size bike.

Don't worry too much about parking outside shops, I've been doing it for ten years with e-bikes and decades before that with decent normal bikes and never lost one. Just use a good lock while in the shop.

I think thieves are much more likely to target all day parking spots, avoiding the risk of being caught red handed by an emerging shopper who could be a faster runner than them.

Reactions: ustulation

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ah i must have misunderstood information here: http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?support in haste (says there are various openings that can lead to ingress). I'll update my query to resolve this.

Edited the O.Post
You are right to worry about rain, water is a potent threat to all electric bikes, nevermind how much you pay for yours. The main threat is to the sensors: brake sensors, throttle, speed sensor. Pedal sensor and LCD are most vulnerable to water ingress because of where they are located, especially the pedal sensor where it can also gets damaged if your chain comes off.
Woosh do take extra precautions for the latter on the two bikes I mentioned to you earlier.
The Zephyr-2017 for example has the battery located inside the frame, protecting it not just from rain but also from prying eyes. It is also locked and removeable while the charging port and USB socket are conveniently placed at the front.
Here is the pedal sensor on the Zephyr I mentioned earlier, it is a sealed unit, placed on the left and has its own water barrier, nigh impossible to get damaged:

Check out the pedal sensor on other bikes. Few other brands do as much as we do to prevent water damage.
One more thing about water damage: your brakes. You need hydraulic brakes. The outercables and innercables of mechanical disc brakes are made of steel, can lose their grease and rust in a few months in the Scottish weather.
Both bikes I mentioned are fitted with hydraulic brakes, their plastic hoses are impervious to rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

ustulation

Just Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Troon, South Ayrshire
Woosh do take extra precautions for the latter on the two bikes I mentioned to you earlier
I had a look and the MTB looks nice, but unfortunately 18 inch frame which would perhaps be small for me (need very high seat post and handle bar i suppose). Also you don't seem to have LBS retailer and would probably need to package everything myself and send it back should something fault in a few months after purchase ? Don't know how it works and i didn't find a way to DM (direct message) you so writing here - new to the forum so don't know if there is a way but if there is then you can post it there and i'll reply if i get a notification or you can mention your email there and we can chat.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there are plenty of good bikes around, I am sure you'll find something suitable locally. If you have any question for me, you can post it here, many of us are ready to help, we usually enjoy a little jousting on the subject of which ones are best for you. If you want to keep it separate, PM me (click on the envelope icon, then click 'start a new conversation').
On the Rio MTB, the larger frame with 27.5" wheels (650B) and 17.5AH battery will be with us at the beginning of August. The seat post on it is 400mm long.

Last edited:
Reactions: ustulation

Artov

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2017
cambridgeshire
I had a look and the MTB looks nice, but unfortunately 18 inch frame which would perhaps be small for me (need very high seat post and handle bar i suppose). Also you don't seem to have LBS retailer and would probably need to package everything myself and send it back should something fault in a few months after purchase ? Don't know how it works and i didn't find a way to DM (direct message) you so writing here - new to the forum so don't know if there is a way but if there is then you can post it there and i'll reply if i get a notification or you can mention your email there and we can chat.
I'm 6'2" with 34" inside leg and 100kg and ride the Woosh Zephyr (2017) and have no problem with the seat height. I did replace the seat post because I had an issue with the original one letting the saddle slip but that was just £17 from Halfords. I also now run it at power level 3 or 4 so I get a little exercise as I was getting very lazy on level 5!

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
there are plenty of good bikes around, I am sure you'll find something suitable locally. If you have any question for me, you can post it here, many of us are ready to help, we usually enjoy a little jousting on the subject of which ones are best for you. If you want to keep it separate, PM me (click on the envelope icon, then click 'start a new conversation').
On the Rio MTB, the larger frame with 27.5" wheels (650B) and 17.5AH battery will be with us at the beginning of August. The seat post on it is 400mm long.
Not to thread jack but what height person would suit the Rio MTB? Well height and inseam.
Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the Rio has 44cm frame, suitable for 5ft5 to 6ft2, so looking best in the middle 5ft10 to 5ft11
we can fit a 400mm saddle post if you are 6ft and over.
We'll have a larger Rio in July for taller riders.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
the Rio has 44cm frame, suitable for 5ft5 to 6ft2, so looking best in the middle 5ft10 to 5ft11
we can fit a 400mm saddle post if you are 6ft and over.
We'll have a larger Rio in July for taller riders.
I'm about 5ft 11 so sounds good for me. Can the saddle and handlebar height be adjusted much? Also is the battery lockable?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm about 5ft 11 so sounds good for me. Can the saddle and handlebar height be adjusted much? Also is the battery lockable?
The saddle post is 350mm but we can change that for a 400mm post if the customer needs it.
The battery has a lock and two keys.
You can unlock and remove the battery.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
And to the OP, invest in a good D lock such as a Kryptonite new york standard which can only be cut using power tools. No one is going to whip out an angle grinder in the middle of a busy street or anywhere busy.