Bike transport

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
We have a couple of Whisper 705 T bikes, and up till now carried then on a Thule tow bar rack. Three times we have caught people fiddling with the bikes and rack. Ok the bikes have not been stolen, but neither of us are happy leaving them unattended on the car anymore, also can't say I feel happy driving with them on the rack. We rarely left them for long. My car is due to be changed and I am thinking of getting something big enough to to put the bikes in the back, what sort of transport does everyone use, I would think of a van if needed,as there are only two of us, just need some ideas on what makes to search out, I seem to remember there are some people carriers which are tall enough to take two full size bikes, don't want to have to take wheels of bikes to fit in. So vans and car recommendations would be appreciated..thanks. oh and the Towbar rack is definitely not an option I will use again

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've made up an alarm system for my detachable light panel. When panel is fitted, light cable is run through bikes then plugged into socket. Alarm is enabled, if cable is cut or unplugged horn goes off.

• Informative
Reactions: Auxtail

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Skoda Roomster, the Peugeot Citroen range of Belingo small SUVs, Renault Kangoo, Ford Tourneo...

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
I've made up an alarm system for my
I've made up an alarm system for my detachable light panel. When panel is fitted, light cable is run through bikes then plugged into socket. Alarm is enabled, if cable is cut or unplugged horn goes off.
Thanks for that,we no longer want to use the bike rack,
light panel. When panel is fitted, light cable is run through bikes then plugged into socket. Alarm is enabled, if cable is cut or unplugged horn goes off.
Thanks for the advice,but as I said we no longer want to use a rack, the alarm on the car did actually go off once, which may have scared them off, but we no longer trust leaving the bikes on it.

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
Skoda Roomster, the Peugeot Citroen range of Belingo small SUVs, Renault Kangoo, Ford Tourneo...
Thanks for that,gives us something to search out now. Roomster is fav option as we have a Skoda Rapid now and are big fans of Skoda. Would have to make sure with any that we can stand bikes up in back without removing wheels,and definitely don't want to lay bikes on top of each other.
Many thanks

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What bikes do you have? Removing a front wheel on quick release should not be an issue. My bike will go in a Roomster, I measured. Maybe you will need to attach a bike to each side and turn the front wheel in slightly to get the length. Which leaves lots of room in the middle for "stuff" :)

I think Woosh might have one, from what he said on another post.

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
What bikes do you have? Removing a front wheel on quick release should not be an issue. My bike will go in a Roomster, I measured. Maybe you will need to attach a bike to each side and turn the front wheel in slightly to get the length. Which leaves lots of room in the middle for "stuff" :)

I think Woosh might have one, from what he said on another post.
Bith bikes are identical Wisper 705 t. Have been looking at some of the cars recommend and from what I see the only way to fit them in is to remove front wheels,which we don't really want to keep doing,

PeterCo

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2015
No need to remove wheels in a Berlingo or Doblo. Both fit 3 full size bikes upright. Berlingo rear seats are a doddle to remove.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Any van the size of a transit will take both bikes upright without removing wheels. I used to get a Carrera and a Big Bear in my working Transit that had racking down one side. Load space is a tad under 8ft long, so bikes overlap each other. Head room not a problem.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I have a Roomster and its fitted with an internal bike rack, but you do have to remove the front wheels, that said the rear seats can be removed simply and the bikes are secure and out of sight.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
The problem with a transit type van is that they are constantly getting their doors peeled back by scrotes looking for power tools. Quite expensive to repair, with increased insurance premiums if you claim.

I drive a LR Defender and my Cube Reaction Race fits inside if I remove one of the rear seats, but now that I've put bar ends on, it won't. Im now about to use a Saris fork trap which I will bolt to a length of wood. Remove the front wheel, drop front forks into the strap and tighten up. Keeps the bike nice and stable as well.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for all the advice, from what I have seen it looks like it has to be a transit size van, as I definitely don't want to remove the front wheels of both bikes every time we take them out, only problem I can see is a lot of used vans have big mileages, plus while the price always looks good at first then you have to add the VAT. So it may take us a while to source a private sale, be nice to get one with option of a couple of seats in back for taking grandchildren out etc. Most seem to be diesel ,not my first choice of fuel, but I'm sure it would be ok.

Thanks for all he help

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
You should be able to get away with a Transit Connect size small van. We fitted two bikes in one when going up to the London Night Ride the year before last. VW Caddy and other makes offer similar size.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
This could be a slippery slope....

Buy a Transit Connect van to fit your bikes in, then after a while wish you had a bit more headroom to be able to get changed in when its raining, so upgrade to a transit van. Then wish you had a bit more room so you could sleep in it, so upgrade to a long wheel base with high roof. Then decide to convert it to a camper van. Then upgrade to a motorhome...:)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Something else for you to consider if opting for the van route.

Unless things have changed in recent years, any insurance no claims that you have for a car, are not transferable to a commercial vehicle, so bear that in mind when considering purchase.

You will also have to pay more for toll paying roads/crossings, and depending upon timing, more also for cross channel crossing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JPGiant

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Convert your van to a motor caravan and the speed limits go back up and the insurance premiums goes down.

Sent from my T1005 using Tapatalk

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
Correct - it needs to be reclassified by DVLA on the registration document. I bought a van and converted it to a motor caravan - the insurance reduced from £400 to £250.