Bit confused on bbs01 reprogramming

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
It could be your expecting too much from the system..I know Peter C did mention the fact that even with the 500w version compared to 250 it's like chalk and cheese..I've only experienced this 250bbs01b but mine has the later controller and can be tweaked to 18amp without any problems..I need to try something bigger for comparison...I only purchased this because everyone kept on about it being legal..But I've never had any problems with the law and should have gone with something bigger..post your settings up so I can see what ya got..I've got a few settings saved on me laptop..maybe you've missed something..
Will try an post those. All i can say is the 350w version bbs01 ,has given me oodles of fun an felt pretty powerful...Until the bbshd.But as peter C says its not the speed,im happy with that.Its the lack of torque.You get that on the bbshd even at lower pas levels.

Still i like the bbs01 its so smooth an gentle with its power. The missus fell off the bbshd the instant she tried to pull away,cut her knee up,half the village women fussing over her...Prob be in the village news letter next week.She wont go near it again. Theres me stupidly setting it on pas5 full 30 amps, for a laaaaugh. Thinking like a bloke ,shed just go with the experience ,whooping with pleasure...Dooh

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I have given up the need for speed and enjoy my 250 watt for what it is an assisted bicycle and enjoy the ride and take in the countryside .

Now I have adjusted the settings of the keep current up from 20% it was horrible the lead/laptop is not required but it was trial and error some one else's settings would have made this quicker .

Before I found this forum I blindly purchased a front hub and my second purchase was a 350watt bafang thinking it was legal both sit in the garage unused both money wasted:(

Nealh is right some people want an s-ped but hope a 250watt can be tuned to do this which it cannot ,no magic dongle or software can change this at least if they read this they might not waste there money
If I needed an s-ped I would build one bbshd and 52 volts

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
post your settings up so I can see what ya got..I've got a few settings saved on me laptop..maybe you've missed something..
this is what ive put on the controller at the mo.everything feels good enough.would start current be ok at 50% anyone know? just looked at the bbshd programming and its 50% an feels brilliant .but of course a more robust controller/motor. i notice the professional/knowlegable go for 4 and 4 on the slow start and crank trigger pulse settings.An usually 25 on the stop delay. i set my stop delay to 6. i find it stops immediately so looses less speed on hills changing gear. suprisingly the bbshd keep current is set 60% by electron cycles and it lacks nothing in power.So i may try dropping keep current on the bbs01 to 60%-70% after a bit of testing.

Attachments

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I have given up the need for speed and enjoy my 250 watt for what it is an assisted bicycle and enjoy the ride and take in the countryside .

Now I have adjusted the settings of the keep current up from 20% it was horrible the lead/laptop is not required but it was trial and error some one else's settings would have made this quicker .

Before I found this forum I blindly purchased a front hub and my second purchase was a 350watt bafang thinking it was legal both sit in the garage unused both money wasted:(

Nealh is right some people want an s-ped but hope a 250watt can be tuned to do this which it cannot ,no magic dongle or software can change this at least if they read this they might not waste there money
If I needed an s-ped I would build one bbshd and 52 volts
i like having both options. the bbs01 is an excellent kit. Just finished fitting a second parallel battery.Now ive got a bike for powering around and another for longer distance rides. If you are worried about the 350w bbs01 looking legal.Do what i did.

Place a sticker cut to the size of the bottom plate over the motors details.Then paint over with matching paint.Once its got some dirt and scrapes ud never know there was anything incriminating there.Im going to do that to the bbshd tomorrow. you dont need to paint over the details on the controller in case of a warrenty claim as it doesnt state the power.it also looks like THIS is the motors details,in case someone is expecting something to be printed on it. Its reversible in the unlikely event of a motor failure warrenty claim. To any casual observer it no longer blatently says 1000w or 350w etc

Last edited:

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I've been altering my settings today and I've ended up with this..and although I have set this bbs01b at 18amps it will go to 20 without an error..
Yes big difference in torque but it's gona come at a price of battery life.and I'm not too sure if the mosfets are going to like it even thou after a run it was only Luke warm...anyway I'm back at 18amps and I've changed my pas speed settings to 100% and keep current to 90%..

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
View attachment 26032 View attachment 26033 View attachment 26034 I've been altering my settings today and I've ended up with this..and although I have set this bbs01b at 18amps it will go to 20 without an error..
Yes big difference in torque but it's gona come at a price of battery life.and I'm not too sure if the mosfets are going to like it even thou after a run it was only Luke warm...anyway I'm back at 18amps and I've changed my pas speed settings to 100% and keep current to 90%..
ive found changing a lot of things doesnt seem to make any real or imagined difference.so decided to keep pretty much the recognised settings most of the professional programmers set.one thing that is v useful is 'stop delay'.set to 6 for me instead of the usual 25. makes changing gears on hills better.less loss of momentum.One serious prob im having ,is getting the % of the total amps to reflect accurately using 5 levels of assist. supposedly the display will use what % you set on 1,3,5,7,9. yet both bbs01 and bbshd are not correctly delivering this.im double checking ive flash written correctly.but when riding, for example i had this with the bbshd dcp14 display. assist 1 25% of 30amps= 7.5 amps,actual 2amps. assist 2 33% =10amps,actual 5.5amps. the bbs01 i set to 40% and 55% of 18amp for PAS1 an 2. 7.5amps and 10amps.both felt like 0% assist. Tho i had no watt meter to see i did have it fitted once and it was way better than those on 8 amps.Can anyone suggest whats amiss,thanks.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I have my display set to analog watts not amps as I found the amps jumped around to much [to slow to update] ,in top gear the power to pedal effort did not equal the sweet spot that the bbs wants but in 7th gear the watts peaked ok .
I solved this problem by swapping the rear cog on the alfine from 16 up to 18 this keeps the drive in the power band as a bonus battery life extended and motor runs cooler .

Do you have a throttle fitted if so how does the power delivery compare to pas

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I have my display set to analog watts not amps as I found the amps jumped around to much [to slow to update] ,in top gear the power to pedal effort did not equal the sweet spot that the bbs wants but in 7th gear the watts peaked ok .
I solved this problem by swapping the rear cog on the alfine from 16 up to 18 this keeps the drive in the power band as a bonus battery life extended and motor runs cooler .

Do you have a throttle fitted if so how does the power delivery compare to pas
the throttle is smooth through its range and pas delivers accurately the amp levels showing on screen.the amp levels on pas1,2,3,4 are just not accurate to the % im setting for 1,3,5,7,with the programming tool. only pas 5 (or 9) 100% is accurate.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I found when I started to use the basic bafang program things would write and sometimes corrupt now use penoff software with no corruptions on 9 levels I have never tried 5 levels
I have now stopped tinkering with the settings most are almost standard apart from the keep current set to 90%

This will change as my egg rider has arrived

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I found when I started to use the basic bafang program things would write and sometimes corrupt now use penoff software with no corruptions on 9 levels I have never tried 5 levels
Will check out that penoff. rings a bell i read about it correcting glitches in original bafang prgramming