BMW Active Hybrid e-bike 2017/2018

Kedzis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2018
Hemel Hempstead
I was just wondering if anybody has tried newer version of BMW e-bike( 2017/2018) with Brose motor? Do you know which generation of Brose motor does it use? What do you think about it? Are there any better new road e-bikes available for the price of £1700?

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I've not ridden one, but if I was in the market I would definitely be testriding one of these.

D

Deleted member 4366

I was just wondering if anybody has tried newer version of BMW e-bike( 2017/2018) with Brose motor? Do you know which generation of Brose motor does it use? What do you think about it? Are there any better new road e-bikes available for the price of £1700?
Perhaps if you gave a link, you might get some replies.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Brose motor. 90nm toque. 504wh battery nicely integrated. Intergated lights, mudguards. What's not to like?

D

Deleted member 4366

Brose motor. 90nm toque. 504wh battery nicely integrated. Intergated lights, mudguards. What's not to like?
Everything about it seems to be wrong. Why would you want a 90NM motor on a hybrid type bike that's restricted to 15mph? All that torque would do is jerk you off when you to start to pedal - mashing the gears in the process. Also, at nearly 23kg, it's a bit porky compared with similar bikes. They could have saved a lot of weight if they'd dumped that adjustable stem and crappy forks.

I can see why they're being dumped on Ebay.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Front mudguard is far too short, the motor will receive a steady spray in wet weather. Rear mudguard has only one support.

Reactions: Kedzis

Kedzis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2018
Hemel Hempstead
I agree with you about the fork, and stem, it would be much better with carbon fork. I read about clattering mudguard so you may be right they should have another support, somebody also mentioned they do not have any mounts for bottle cage nor the rack for the luggage which could be handy for a commuter bike. Regarding the torque I am not sure if too much of it is a problem as you can change the riding mode and it may help heavy bike with heavy rider. BMW said they do not service it only motor has to be checked at 15k miles and normal maintenance is to be done at normal bike shop. I like the design and specs for reduced price as similar bikes like Specialized Vado cost almost twice as much and Giant is around £1000 more. I have short commute about 5 miles each way and I don't really need it, but I would like to have an e-bike for those days when I do not feel like pedaling...

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Stick a BMW badge on an e-bike and it starts screaming "Nick me! Please steal me!"

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • :D
Reactions: oyster and EddiePJ