Boardman Team Hybrid custom fitted with a Bafang BBS01b by Brighton eBikes

KentGuy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2017
Kent
Review – Boardman Team Hybrid custom fitted with a Bafang BBS01b by Brighton eBikes

Total cost approx. £1,400

This is going to be a very long review, apologies in advance. It seems to me that there is such a huge diversity regarding what people are looking for from an eBike, that I wanted to give as much context as possible as to how I ended up with this one and what I expected of it. To help you combat the verbosity, I’ve split it into sections, so you can skip to any part you might be interested in.

Cycling background

I’m now 50, and I guess I’ve been cycling for about 10 years in a moderate-if-fair-weather kind of way. To me, there’s nothing better on a hot sunny day than a cycle round the local area – the uphills can be brutal, but the downhills of course divine. Come rain, cold or monstrous headwind however, and the fun goes fast, I’ll be honest. We have very mixed terrain near me in Kent, UK – there’s a decent amount of flat running east-west leading to moderate hills, then north-south you get the horror hills. After I’ve been riding for 2 or 3 months in the year (I don’t even think about it until the weather has begun to warm up a bit), I can make it up one of these great climbs at a dead slow pace. Usually that’s about it – at that point I’m seeking flats and downhills back to home. So my rides tend to be quite limited, and not especially long, usually between 45 and 90 mins. Typically I’m around an average of between 12-14mph depending on the route, wind and how late into the season it is – I’m faster later. Part of the cycling attraction is keeping fit, I tend to run 4-5k on alternate days with cycling if work and weather permit. In summary – well below the level of a serious club rider, but making some kind of moderate effort.

Meanwhile, we have only one car and often I only have the bike to get about. That’s fine for popping into town, but not so much for neighbouring towns. Crucially, the local cinema is a very tortuous and hilly route away. However, that is changing this summer with a new cycle route. Still hilly, but now direct and safe. It was then I had the thought…. Hmm, an Electric Bike would be perfect for that. Quick, and sweat-free so I’m able to just see a movie the Mrs isn’t interested in without me stinking the place out and suffering heart palpitations. And if I needed to pop into a different town on chores, its much more doable.

And it was then I started to wonder about it for local rides too. I quickly learned about the 15.5mph speed limit, and figured I could still pedal the flats and gentle downhills, then get help up the hills which would theoretically enable me to explore the local routes further and with much more variety.

So I started to develop a competing set of demands from my bike-to-be. On the one hand, I’d like it to be able to pull me up hills and drag me through headwinds with zero effort on my part, using it as a car replacement. On the other, I sought a regular bike on steroids (what an apt analogy that feels) enabling me to put in pretty much as much effort as I ever have on a ride, only hugely increasing my speed and range.

Tried but found wanting

My first port of call was the Eco Expedition, a converted Mountain Bike. I actually liked it very much as a bike, but it wasn’t really what I wanted, which was a road bike. I looked into changing tyres, gears etc to get some more pedal speed on the flat, but it would have cost hundreds and in the end still be a Mountain Bike at heart.

Second was the Kudos Stealth / Alamo (both of these companies are based in my home county of Kent). Loved the look of it, seemed to ride pretty well as a bike, and handled the modest hill with apparent ease (as did the Eco Expedition). It was much more of a road bike. But something didn’t feel quite right – the motor and bike didn’t quite seem so joined up, as it were, there was a lot of competing gearing / power assisting to get the hang of. Also while the frame-embedded battery looked slick, I was concerned that I might be stuck in the future with a replacement. I asked here on the forum, and most gave the same advice – buy a good regular bike, and get it converted with a crank drive. OK - what, I wondered, is a crank drive all about?

Both of the bikes I’d tried were hub drive – the motor very unobtrusive, hidden in the rear wheel. This was fine more moderate hills, but doesn’t work anything like as well on the really tough 12% and up hills I have near me. Apparently this is all about torque – it works the same way regardless of the gear you’re in, and lacks power on the hill climbs (analogous perhaps to trying to pedal up hill in a high gear). So if the hill is too steep, the bike simply can’t make it up under its own steam. The crank drive solves that problem by working with whatever gear you’re in – it’s right on your pedals (the motor hangs just beneath the frame there), so it works with your cadence and even steep hills become possible in an appropriate gear. I was always concerned about weight too (not just mine – I’m over-wanting-to-be-under 14st). I wanted as light a bike as possible for self-power on the flat. Both bikes I’d tried were relatively good at around 19-20kg. Some eBikes are nearly 30, really only designed for electric power, and I wanted to have my cake and eat it. By going down the custom conversion route, I found a combination that was closer to 18kg – still hardly a road bike, but all heading in the right direction and better than anything off the shelf, it seemed.

The Boardman Team Hybrid - unmodified

As luck would have it, this was on sale for £450 as I looked around Halfords, and it got rave reviews for value from seemingly everyone at its non-sale price. Carbon Fibre forks, 20 gears (2 x 10) and around 11kg weight. I didn’t want drop handlebars, so this was the perfect road-end-of-a-hybrid. And it was a Boardman.

Better buy a decent lock, I thought.

My old bike was an £88 27-speed rusting Chinese hybrid wonder, 10 years and counting on the clock, souped up to be as roadworthy as possible. The Boardman couldn’t go quite as low gear-wise but clearly this was a better bike in every other way. Silent to ride, I was a bit quicker up moderate hills with the lighter frame. Steep uphills though were too much for it /me (lacking that third ring), but at the other end I was keeping going at some 28mph at the foot of a short local hill, pedalling to maintain speed til a T junction spoiled the fun. It slipped gears when changing occasionally, but that would be a simple tweak for Halfords at the 6 week check in I figured.

It was actually quite tough coming to terms with the conversion, since I’d lose the 2 front rings to be replaced by the single from the Bafang - down to a mere 10 gears (hub drives by contrast can keep all gears intact). But, I reasoned, most of the point of the eBike really was helping with hills, right? So what if I lost something there manually? I really liked the idea of having some help, but working hard to bomb up even the nasty climbs at 15mph (in vain, I tried to explain this to a suspicious and better-cycling wife – “I will still exercise, honest, just FASTER!”). The ring would go from 50 teeth to 46, which means I’d loose a little maximum flat speed, but hopefully not too much. And as long as I can get up those steep hills either slowly without any effort from me when I’m done for the day - or - blisteringly fast with a lot of effort from me if I still have the legs, then that’s all that counts, right?

[REVIEW CONTINUED ON NEXT POST]

KentGuy

Mar 26, 2017
Kent
[REVIEW CONTINUED]

Conversion Day – Brighton eBikes

Darren of Brighton eBikes has something of a reputation as an e-bike God, taking on all manner of challenges for conversion with a famed tenacity for doing the best possible job with good humour and grace. Since I hadn’t actually had a chance to try a crank motor, we started the day with a quick ride around the local roads on two of his converted mountain bikes, including a down-then-up thoroughly vicious hill comparable to my local nightmares, which the bikes simply chewed up and spat out with what can only be described as pure arrogance. I couldn’t quite believe how fast we got to the top – the downhill was so quick and lengthy, you instinctively know as a cyclist what lengthy hell you’re in for going back up. Only of course it didn’t happen – we seemed to be back up almost as fast as we barrelled down.

It would have been even quicker had Darren not encouraged me to briefly turn off power assist half way. It doesn’t feel like you slow down, it feels like you are suddenly riding through molasses, hooked up to a bungee behind you while the frame alchemizes into granite… so this is what it feels like to ride at 12mph up a brutal incline for half a second, I thought, before turning it back on hurriedly. In general, it was taking a while for me to get the hang of the gears and PAS (Power ASsist) modes, but I began to realise (with Darren’s help) I was overthinking it rather – just use the gears like normal, pretty much. Going uphill, just start in a low gear and work through them, as if you were on the flat. That mid-drive motor likes to work at 50-70rpm, so its all about keeping a good, healthy rhythm apparently.

Once back at base, we chatted about the process and Darren gave the Boardman a once-over, finding instantly the gear problems I’d been having and figuring a new brake cable should sort it out. I then left him to it, and headed for Devil’s Dyke for a spectacular walk and lunch (also spotting two very-not-out-of-breath old boys on eBikes who had just got to the top). Darren rung in the afternoon to say the gears had been giving him no end of grief, but everything else was good to go, so I popped back. He demoed the problem – there was something quite fundamental wrong either with the spring weight of the derailleur, or the pull ratio of the shifter or both (not that I really understood, but clearly it wasn’t right and no regular tweaking was fixing it). So back to Halfords it would be the following day, especially as Darren pointed out the poor gear changes would be exacerbated by strain put on the motor.

With that caveat, I ran a quick test round the roads. It seemed incredible. Far lighter than the mountain bikes, far less resistance on the road, I found I could pedal up his moderate hill with ease unassisted – this was more than I hoped for. At the other end, I was running out of road before I could reach top gear on the downhills. And then of course there was the powerful Bafang motor, ready to kick in seamlessly at the touch of a button. Nothing more than the briefest of plays, but very promising indeed.

The Bafang converted Boardman

The bike does indeed perform well. In the cold light of day, it is a little heavier than I’d like – once the bag rack, bike lock and all the other paraphernalia is on, you can’t exactly lift it with your finger. Of course, it’s the motor that is the heaviest component by far, but it feels nicely balanced by the pedals. The bike handles well (apart from my slipping gears, still a work in progress as Halfords had to order parts). One unexpected gripe – after riding a bit, boy my ass hurt. New gel saddle bought. Ass grateful.

By default, the controller has 9 assist levels and is set to the UK legal speed limit. Both of these are customisable, buried away in the menus. Since I routinely ride at around 20mph with a literal prevailing wind, and far more on a descent, the limit of 15.5 does seem slightly arbitrary and blunt instrument, and actively works against the way you might normally ride (in the USA, the limit is a much more sensible 20 mph). If you do set it higher, it means the motor is working more, and your range will go down, ditto of course with the higher levels of assist. I found having 9 levels a bit OTT, and spent too much time skipping through them. There are options to change to 5 or 3 levels, skipping intermediate ones, and I found 5 works well for me. I find level 0 (no assist) is of course a bit tougher than an unmodified bike, with the extra weight. Level 1 (minimum assist) is I think actually a bit easier to ride than an unmodified bike. The current for these settings is actually also tweakable, but not in the standard controller, it needs a laptop which connects to the motor itself – at some point when I’m able, I might set level 1 down a shade.

I like having my gears on my right hand and power control on my left, there are times where its nice to invert those controls as you ride – as you work up through the gears, you can power down on the motor keeping an even effort. There is also a throttle control which provides a pedal-free boost. I’m sort of struggling to find a use for it, so far just giving a nice brief pedalling break on a very long stretch between downhill respite is the best I’ve come up with.

Darren has mentioned it takes quite a long time to really get used to an electric bike, and I concur. The problem really is… so many options. At any time you can go from zero assist and maximum effort, to full assist and zero effort. At any time. On hills, straights, headwinds… add in the options of how high you set the speed limit, and it provides an almost infinite variety of riding styles and philosophies that you chop and change as you go. And yeah, its easy to just say “sod it” at the first sign of effort when you know all that will go away at the touch of a button. Going in, my feeling was either “a regular bike with help uphills” or “a car replacement with zero effort”. Having spent time with it, it’s not really that simple.

Well, perhaps the latter is. I tried a 16 mile round cinema trip with a lot of steep hills (about 1,000 ft in total), with the limit set to 17mph – at the upper end of allowable since there’s 10% leeway – with me putting in absolutely zero effort. A car replacement. It worked great. Average speed over the trip was 14mph – and remember there are some very steep hills, where it drops to around 5mph at the absolute toughest gradients. By and large I was on PAS 5 (maximum assist), but I started to realise on the way back much of the trip would be equally easy, and equally fast, set lower on around PAS 2 or 3. When you’re hovering near the max speed, the motor engages until you’re over it, and then switches off. Set to max, this is a little wearing – a heavy handed stop/start. Lower down its more refined, less lurching and you can find a spot that it’s just doing just enough to keep you on the edge of that maximum (PAS 1 is great for this, I’d later find). Battery-wise, I ended up just over half full, which given how demanding the trip was, is perfectly reasonable – a range of just over 30 miles would be pretty much a worst case scenario. Oh, and it was great to ride in regular clothes and arrive without even an elevated heart rate. All very civilised.

So that’s car mode. What about on a bike ride? That took longer to bed in. My first thought was to keep assist low or off for much of the ride, then push it a little more on the hill. But that’s oddly unsatisfying, I found. It’s an electric bike – it wants to be an electric bike.

Truth is, things become vastly more fun if you let it off the leash. On hills, what’s the point in crawling up on 2 or 3 when you can bomb up on 5? When you’re in the right gear and the right power level, you can work with the bike – on all but the tamest hills, you’ll be below the limit if you just leave it to the motor, so if you really work with it you can push it higher of course. With practice, I was enjoying balancing that power level trick with the gears, keeping me working but avoiding The Slog. So on a later bike ride – 23 miles, 1,300 ft of ascent – I had the motor working more but rarely at the max, the top speed up a little and me putting in some effort (I even got out of the saddle a couple of times, go me). Result – fun. Way more fun, always felt very controlled and a delight to be able to sit up and enjoy the view when you fancy. Average speed now up to 15-16mph, over a much longer distance than I would normally ride where I’d have likely dropped to 10-11 – effectively, everything feels like riding on the flat in good conditions. This ride also took about half the battery, so 50 miles of this kind of riding on hilly terrain feels about right. When I got back, there was no question I hadn’t worked as hard as on a regular tough ride, but I did feel it in my legs. Although I’m not hitting the red from the effort, it is a more even and longer workout.

In Car Mode (as I call it) it’s sometimes difficult to hold back. If you like riding, you want to ride. For me, it’s not so satisfying to just ride pretty much as you did before, stretching the range as far as you can by being frugal. So live a little, I say – use the motor, and work with it. The following week, a 45-mile very hilly round trip to my parent’s house my legs were properly done in when I’d returned. but was fast, fun and best of all I was discovering all sorts of beautiful riding country it’s unlikely I’d ever have found otherwise.

And that, to me, is the real beauty of my bike. I’m seeing more of the world around me. Those endless folds of hills are no longer the threatening barrier they once were, but an invitation to explore.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Great detailed review and your last short paragraph sums up what I love about my electric bikes.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Nice write up, bike looks good too :cool:

Gaz

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oh yes, and a photo

Neat job by Darren, and you've kept a bottle cage which you can't always on an ebike.

As regards your gear changing problems, my guess is a bent rear mech hanger.

Happens quite often when bikes are shipped to the shop, and even a tiny bit out of true can cause missed changes.

You've obviously had a good play with the buttons.

I suspect you'd like a torque sensing crank drive such as a Bosch or Yamaha, as the torque sensor would largely do your button pressing for you.

On my Bosch bikes, I routinely do 50 mile + rides without pressing anything apart from the on button.

Reactions: Steve J H
Cheers Rob,

KentGuy really wanted to retain the bottle cage and the frame allowed for it well, which was nice. I guess that's the beauty of bespoke builds :)

The gear hanger alignment was the first thing I checked and definitely not that. I tried many little adjustments and tricks in an effort to make the indexing work correctly, but something really wasn't right there.

As you can probably imagine, I have tried a good number of bikes with torque sensing mid-drives (and hub motors). For a while I had a Bosch powered Haibike, I currently own a Bafang Max Drive bike, but still my favour is the BBSxx PAS motor. The Max Drive doesn't get out as much as it'd like!

I just can't get enough of the 'open source' nature of the system and ability to configure to the rider's specific requirements. I find I get my best rides on the PAS motor and still now after a few years of riding it, I look forward to every outing. E-bikes are getting better all the time, and I doubt there will be an owner who wouldn't say the same about their steed of choice :)

Neat job by Darren, and you've kept a bottle cage which you can't always on an ebike.

As regards your gear changing problems, my guess is a bent rear mech hanger.

Happens quite often when bikes are shipped to the shop, and even a tiny bit out of true can cause missed changes.

You've obviously had a good play with the buttons.

I suspect you'd like a torque sensing crank drive such as a Bosch or Yamaha, as the torque sensor would largely do your button pressing for you.

On my Bosch bikes, I routinely do 50 mile + rides without pressing anything apart from the on button.

KentGuy

Mar 26, 2017
Kent
It was the rear derailleur thing - they also changed the shifter, and apparently that was fine (which that had to order in at £99 retail, but hey that's the beauty of warranties). Everything is now kerchunking perfectly. And yay, was really happy that the water bottle fit - it has to be a smaller size, but I'd really have missed it if it wasn't possible (perfect fit, Darren).

Today was a fantastic day actually. Had to make an emergency dash into the next town to buy something urgent for work - it's a dreadful traffic-jam ridden road, and over a very steep hill. While it wasn't exactly fun with the traffic an all, I was there and back in 45 minutes and zero effort. I think that would literally impossible that fast any other way - car, train or bus, when you factor in the parking, the waiting, the jams, the walking either end etc etc.

The afternoon was a 30 mile fun ride. Unspeakably good. Saw so many beautiful places near me I'd never seen before, some fantastic quiet roads with majestic downhills. Averaged 16mph, battery just on half, 1800ft of climbing. Bike performed like a champ.