Bosch classic to Bosch CX

BootsDave

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
Aveyron, France
Hi to everyone.

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a little while.
I have a Haibike xduro rc29 which I bought about 3.5 years ago when I lived in Northamptonshire. Since retiring early to the Aveyron, France, I've found I could do with a bit more help up the steeper hills. Although most of my riding is roads and tracks, some of the climbs in the gorges are just too steep. The terrain here is probably comparable to the Derbyshire Peak District.
I realise that the CX motor will do the job; it has 1.5 times the torque of the Classic. My concern is whether the battery life will suffer? With the hilly terrain I get 40 to 45 km on the road with a 400wh battery keeping it in Sport. Will I get a similar range on a bike with the CX motor with the same battery? I believe that I read somewhere on the site, that another rider found he was using less assist on the CX.

Cheers
Dave

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
1.5 times the output so 1.5 times the power draw from the battery.
The battery will last a lot less time. So don't expect the same range.
( simple answer, without all tech and fiddly bits)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

BootsDave

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
Aveyron, France
Thanks for your quick replies, much appreciated. I had already seen your posts Eddie. I guess that I already knew the simple answer. I suppose that I'm trying to justify spending such a large sum for the few times that I'm off-road. I was considering a Cube Reaction HPA SL 500.

Cheers
Dave

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I went from a classic to cx and had both for a while. There were 2 basic differences..
1) the classic was actually quicker from a to b but didn't really offer much in eco whereas the cx seems to give more output in eco and tour.
2) the classic was much less sophisticated, giving full power right to the cutoff whereas the cx starts to ease of before you get there. I never found a hill the classic wouldn't climb so if your struggling it may be the gearing that needs changing.
A benefit of the newer bosch motors is gearing is oh so easy to change.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks Gubbins. The Cube has an 11/46 cassette, so perhaps that's a good enough excuse ;-)

Dave
Actually I meant at the front. I tried to fit a different front ring on the classic without success but there are several front ring options on the cx bike and they are inexpensive and easy to change

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
If you change to a different motor, Brose or Shimano I think, then there are options for the front sprocket gearing which can help to augment the motor?

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Or you can come to the darkside of the force and experience Haibike Yamaha, tried, tested, reliable, powerful and you can have two front rings that change like a normal bike.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My wife's Shimano STEPs is similar to classic at 50nm. My CX drive tourer mode would be equivalent to STEPs High (classic Sport/turbo).

When it comes to assist you don't get something for nothing the CX extra torque will consume more power but you typically get 500whr battery giving extra 20% more power.

Given typical MTB gearing the CX will climb most road hills in tourer mode with ease. It would be VERY steep hill that will have you in low gear and Turbo.

• Useful
Reactions: Chris.L

Related Articles

Advertisers