Bosch classic to Bosch CX

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I second the gearing as being the solution, the original bike may be fine with better gearing? It will mean you are travelling slower but pedalling faster thus assisting the motor.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rob, I think if I was riding on tarmac I could manage it. With the rocky climb, I felt like my speed was too high. From what others have said, it seems lower gearing would help. I like the way the Bosch system rides like a normal bike, how does a pedal only sensor bike feel?
If you like the natural cycling feel of the Bosch motor, a pedal sensor only bike will feel a bit basic.

It would give you access to full power at any cadence.

I think the Bosch system is excellent, but it can be a bit of a mixed blessing if you are struggling on a climb.

A new CX bike would attack your problem at both ends, a slightly more powerful motor and easier access to lower gears if the factory fit lowest gear is still too high.

I currently have 38f 36r as my lowest gear, I can get a 36t for the front. I could upgrade the rear to an 11/46. That would cost around €250.
Two less on the front wouldn't make a huge difference, ten more on the back would.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The change to 11spd 11-46 should solve your problem. The money won't be wasted even on this old bike as you can transfer 11spd system over to new bike in future.

Reactions: Tom Rae

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes you will need the rear mech and the shifter

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Price of the 11 spd makes 14spd rohloff look interesting is more at first but after you have replaced the cassette a few times it's all savings.

BootsDave

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
Aveyron, France
Trevor, that's the one I was looking at. It's €220 for the 11/46 (inc. tax), plus around another €30 if I changed the front.

D8ve, I've done around 4000km on my original cassette so far, so I would probably be about 90 before I would start making any savings!

BootsDave

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
Aveyron, France
Hi Gubbins, I know that's what I want too. We're going to look at ebikes with some friends next week, they're looking at trekking style bikes. I will have to see if I can resist ;-) My wife thinks that she doesn't need to upgrade, so I'll probably change her gearing so that she can keep up!

Takada

Just Joined
Dec 19, 2017
Moldova
Hello! Sorry if I write wrong topic.
My questions is: Is it possible to connect a battery from Bosch Active/Performance to an old Bosch Classic ebike?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hello! Sorry if I write wrong topic.
My questions is: Is it possible to connect a battery from Bosch Active/Performance to an old Bosch Classic ebike?
no as the bms in the new batts have to talk to the motor.

• Useful
Reactions: Takada

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you could take the bms from the new batts and then add it to the old one then i guess it would work but the bms cant loose power as if it does it is toast.

Reactions: Takada

Related Articles

Advertisers