Bosch climbing speed

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
let's remind ourselves that the throttle does not improve the climbing ability of the bike.
You can't ride uphill as fast on throttle as you can on pedal assist.
it's there to help people who can't pedal well enough.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
lohr500, you don't need the throttle but some of my customers need the rack to carry their oxygen bottle. Some have had recent heart, knee or hip operations.
They still want to enjoy riding their bikes, the throttle is the equalizer.
... It's always worth reminding that there are people with real medical problems .

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
My definition is putting in less leg muscle power because I have not got it to give, so pedalling slow on hills and with much less effort, from everything I have read a crank drive would be a very difficult bike for me to get up hills.

Pedalling more and harder on hills is something I generally regard a much fitter person to do and surely a much fitter person will be able to cycle a crank drive better than I can, do I have this wrong, are crank drives without a throttle easier to ride up hills when you have weak legs?
The thing is, some people don't have particularly strong muscles, so they can't 'grind' up hills by pushing hard and keeping the cadence low. However unless there is a medical reason that precludes it, often they can still spin their legs around at a decent cadence (even though they aren't straining as much) and as long as you have decent gearing on the bike, you go up the hill. Its much easier, but it just takes longer. That's pretty much what gears are for in hilly areas!
With a mid drive, if you can keep the cadence up, then the motor is also going to be assisting you at a very optimal efficiency all the time. As others have alluded to, if you've got a Bosch motor and mountain bike type gearing, you can pretty much climb a wall! Albeit you'll be going slowly. But it will be fairly 'easy'. Just slow.
But there is effectively a minimum human input threshold. If there is some physical/medical reason where the human input is going to be really low, power wise, or the cadence really slow, then that's where any pedal assist only pedelec is going to fail, and that's when you should be considering a throttle system etc.
How exactly would you describe your physical condition?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Any rider that can pedal a bike comfortably on flat at sedate 10-15km/hr, will be able climb all seal hills and most offroad hills with CX drive with MTB gearing.

For offroad there is no going past likes of CX drive. If rider has physical limitations that precludes a MTB mid drive and need a throttle then I doubt they're fit/strong enough for serious MTBing.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
today going down a steep hill I saw a person who I spoke to last year on his reisse and muller climbing said hill , he was peddling gently.
don't know what moter or system the rs has other than it was a 3k ebike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
People here on Bosch and Yamaha powered bikes have incredibly slow cadences I have noticed. The bikes are often undergeared though, especially the step through models.

I have written elsewhere that I did my test hill slow and steady (with usual cadence) sitting down with my 32 tooth chainwheel at about 12 km/h in 2nd gear which is inline with http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence