Bosch CX Failure - Early Symptoms

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I may just be being paranoid but I’m concerned about the health of my 2017 Bosch CX motor. It seems to be be noisier than when I first got it (whirring rather than grumbling) and last weekend the drive sprocket didn’t turn free of the crank arms initially. Also, when riding it occasionally seemed to provide power for a noticeable amount of time after I stopped pedalling.
The bike has done about 350 miles, all off-road and is kept clean but never jet washed.
I checked the plastic washer behind the sprocket at about 100 miles (when I found out about the drive bearing issue) and there was very little grease there. I used Bosch grease to relube it and checked it again last weekend. There was still grease in there but I redid it anyway.

Am I worried about nothing or is motor failure imminent? If so, what are my options?

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I was in Tour mode and it’s more like a good shove than a little push; 2-3 seconds of unwanted drive.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you are not getting any error codes and cant feell any play in the drive side bearing then id not worry about it as not much else you can do than what you are doing anyway.

they tend to go bang around the 4-600 mile mark if there going to fail but you should have plenty of warranty left if it does.

michael1971

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
i took my reaction race back to the shop a few weeks ago for an unresponsive purion button. when i finally got it back 3 weeks later it had a new purion display but also a new motor. when i asked about the motor they said it felt a bit rough so requested a warranty replacement. i must admit it hadn’t seemed that bad to me but was happy to accept a new motor. for reference it had done around 600 miles at the time.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Here’s a pic of the motor bearing grease as supplied by Bosch...
The new black bearing seal is shaped to fit in splines, there isn't one in your picture.

If crank spins freely without a chain should be OK. Shop said my was tough to turn hence replacement motor.

I did worry about what happens outside warranty. A couple members have changed bearing themselves, was quite straight forward from what they said.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22539

I still think it’s a disgrace they swap out motors for the price of a £10 bearing which is also an easy change warranty or not :(

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
What I find frustrating is the fact that you cant take it into any bike shop that is a Bosch dealer (sells Bosch powered bikes) and have them repair/exchange Bosch parts under warranty. Does this suggest that Bosch wont fully recompense the dealer for the expense of doing the work? Or is it just the dealer trying do deter on line shopping to protect their own business? Or am i totally wrong and dealers will help/repair said bikes? In my limited experience.. My only on-line acquired e-bike was an insurance replacement, and dealer where I bought the original said and did take on the warranty as though it was purchased from them, but they are gone now and at a recent visit to another dealer (All Terrain Cycles) without any prompts they told me they are a Bosch service centre so any problems bring it here! Of course this could mean that if it needs a new motor be sure to bring your credit card.....

D

Deleted member 4366

What I find frustrating is the fact that you cant take it into any bike shop that is a Bosch dealer (sells Bosch powered bikes) and have them repair/exchange Bosch parts under warranty. Does this suggest that Bosch wont fully recompense the dealer for the expense of doing the work? Or is it just the dealer trying do deter on line shopping to protect their own business? Or am i totally wrong and dealers will help/repair said bikes? In my limited experience.. My only on-line acquired e-bike was an insurance replacement, and dealer where I bought the original said and did take on the warranty as though it was purchased from them, but they are gone now and at a recent visit to another dealer (All Terrain Cycles) without any prompts they told me they are a Bosch service centre so any problems bring it here! Of course this could mean that if it needs a new motor be sure to bring your credit card.....
It's a lot easier to replace the complete motor than the bearing. To get at the bearing on that side requires the motor to be completely dismantled. I doubt that many dealers are capable of doing that and they surely wouldn't want to.

D

Deleted member 22539

It's a lot easier to replace the complete motor than the bearing. To get at the bearing on that side requires the motor to be completely dismantled. I doubt that many dealers are capable of doing that and they surely wouldn't want to.
No it just requires the end cover taking off for the drive side bearing
No full strip down needed
I’ve already done one on a friends 2015 bike :)
Non drive side is s different matter
I do agree thou it’s more likely lack of skill or laziness

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The new black bearing seal is shaped to fit in splines, there isn't one in your picture.

If crank spins freely without a chain should be OK. Shop said my was tough to turn hence replacement motor.

I did worry about what happens outside warranty. A couple members have changed bearing themselves, was quite straight forward from what they said.
Does it fit in the centre to cover the circlip? If so then I don't have one either..

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Does it fit in the centre to cover the circlip? If so then I don't have one either..
Yours has seal, black rubber/plastic at end of drive splines. Easy to remove, just ply out carefully with small screw driver. Clean in behind, repack with grease and press seal back in place. Best to replace seal every few times.

My wifes 2017 Activeline also have this seal. Being fair weather riding I'm not expecting any problems.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
How free is free? If I remove the chain and I give the cranks a good push it's less than a full rotation before it stops. It's bloody noisy too.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
How free is free? If I remove the chain and I give the cranks a good push it's less than a full rotation before it stops. It's bloody noisy too.
Tested mine without chain. Given pedal good push it will do 2.5 revs, same in both directions.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I’m pretty sure my main bearing is FUBAR. It’s going back to the shop as soon as I can arrange it.

It’s still rideable at the moment but it’s not going to get any better.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
The bike is back with the supplying dealer awaiting a new motor. It's also getting a service because the rear hub is knackered too. :(

D

Deleted member 4366

350 miles for a new motor and a new hub. That has to be a record!

Related Articles

Advertisers