Bosch CX fitted to Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPA - Which removal tool for sprocket?

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
Hi there. I have a 2017 Cube with the CX drive fitted. Had a warranty replacement on the motor cover from Bosch (chain is rubbing on original one). I need a tool to get the drive sprocket off so I can replace it. Is it this one I need?: https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/bosch-spider-lock-ring-tool-active-performance or is that for the previous model?

Is it likely I'll need repeated access behind that cover? e.g. is it worth me buying this tool or should I be looking for a loan from somewhere do you think?

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
There's a rabbit hole I didn't want to go down then! Half an hour later having been reading up on all reliability problems of Bosch motors and I'm beginning to get nervous. Time to get out and hammer the miles onto the bike to see if it's an early-failer or not. Sheesh.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi Frobisher,

I have a 2017 Cube also with the CX motor, and yes you will need that tool.

You will also need a chain whip to hold the front chain ring still whilst unscrewing the sprocket.

I would say to purchase, as it comes in handy to remove the sprocket etc, when cleaning and re-greasing the motor seals, that way you can do most of the de-greasing and maintenance away from the actual motor, as I do. not too expensive, but nothing else will do the job.

Reactions: Frobisher

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
This cleaning/greasing thing that people seem to be doing. Firstly I'm concerned that this should be necessary on the bike - surely it's reasonable to expect a long travel dual suspension mtb to be used off-road in muddy/wet conditions? If so, then the cover and configuration *should* be robust enough to deal with it. I'm also worried that if there is a failure and there's then a warranty claim that they *might* start to protest that whatever I've been doing with grease/etc has actually caused the problem...

Is there any need for ventilation in the motor or should we be investigating sealing tape to block the gaps?

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
ebay here £18.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IceToolz-Bosch-Lockring-Tool-Sprockets/162920014679?epid=17010934024&hash=item25eeca2357:g:C8UAAOSwehValCOO

Hi Frobisher, remember these motors are only rated at IP44... splash proof, I think some people think just because it's a full sus mountain bike it should be able to handle whatever you throw at it, the IP44 rating says otherwise.

Motors are expensive so I err on the side of caution when riding through water/washing it etc.

Also if you seal up the holes, you not only keep water out, you also keep it in ;), just a thought.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I'm like a pig in the proverbial, in my workshop, stripping and tinkering with my bikes.

So to spend all day taking my eBike to bits, cleaning and lubricating is no chore to me.

I would rather that than fork out £600 for a new motor because I cheated on the washing, and blasted it with a hose.

I work on the principle of the more you look after it the longer it lasts. Yes it's easy to power wash my hard tail where the bottom bracket is £20, but the eBike bottom bracket IS the motor...

Last edited:

michael1971

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
Hi Fro.
my mate has just got the same bike as yours. 2017 160mm HPA. in silver.
his chain also rubs on the motor cover.
my 2018 reaction, same one as ballynoes has no such problem. there’s a good couple of millimetres clearance.
Are bosch supplying a redesigned cover?

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
Hi Fro.
my mate has just got the same bike as yours. 2017 160mm HPA. in silver.
his chain also rubs on the motor cover.
my 2018 reaction, same one as ballynoes has no such problem. there’s a good couple of millimetres clearance.
Are bosch supplying a redesigned cover?
Yup. Straightforward warranty replacement from shop. Cube knew about it as soon as I emailed them about it. It has another screw point kind of just above 12 noon on the sprocket where the original has none. Not sure if that will help to hold it in place. Will update this thread when I do it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I'm like a pig in the proverbial, in my workshop, stripping and tinkering with my bikes.

So to spend all day taking my eBike to bits, cleaning and lubricating is no chore to me.

I would rather that than fork out £600 for a new motor because I cheated on the washing, and blasted it with a hose.

I work on the principle of the more you look after it the longer it lasts. Yes it's easy to power wash my hard tail where the bottom bracket is £20, but the eBike bottom bracket IS the motor...
Have you stripped your 2018 Cube Race? If so, are you able to produce any guides to what needs doing, seeing as we have the same bike? Thanks.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi Bear,

I stripped it down as far as the frame and motor.

Took everything off including the forks.

I didn’t take the motor off, as it’s still under warranty, so didn’t want to void that. See pics.

It got a major clean, lube and rebuild, mainly to see if I had any water ingress.

All I found was a little moisture behind the outer cover.

This was at the end of last year, been sitting in the shed, ready to go and took it out for a thirty miler last weekend (before all the snow).

Sorry didn’t take any notes, but apart from the motor and battery, the bike is just a standard bike.

Next time I will take a few more detailed pictures and write a few notes.

Any questions just ask.

Attachments

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks pal :). Ive never stripped a bike before, and wouldn't know where to start, but I guess its just nuts, bolts and a few bits that need specific tools.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do one part at a time say motor then forks wheels ect as if you take it all to bits in one go and never done it b4 you might bugger something up.

watch you tube vids and you will find all you need to know ;)

Reactions: The Bear

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
My advice is to phone your local college and ask if they do a bike maintenance course, at nights.

I did one at my local college about 2 years ago.

Ten nights, 2 hours each night….. best 20 hours of my life (apart from cycling).

No writing, just taking bikes to bits and rebuilding them, me and my mate had a blast. £70.

I recon I have saved ten times that much on what I can now do, and you meet other bike enthusiasts. They probably won’t do eBikes, but as I said apart from the motor and battery, it’s just a normal bike.

At 50 something I was one of the young ones, we had two old ladies, retired, who had taken up cycling, and had a blast on the course... best cash you will ever spend.. honest. ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0633.JPG
DSC_0643_01.JPG
i service my own bike ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Related Articles