Bosch CX fitted to Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPA - Which removal tool for sprocket?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I have been following the GMBN videos, they are rather good. I found their rear mech video useful when I had a problem.

Reactions: Ballynoes

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_A--fhX5gea0i4UtpD99Gg

its all there free of charge where it gets expensive is when you need shock or frame wheel bearing service as you need the right tools for the job.

id get tools you need for ur bike and watch them vids ;)
I've found my limit, motor, drive train, brakes etc. Suspension shocks and pivot point bearings leave to shop, but I do supply bearing kits, see pdf above.

At rate my bike eats chains and brake pads its a must to do it my self.

One thing haven't looked at is shifter cable, after watching GMBN doesn't look to hard. Something to be said for Di2 shifters, fit and forget.

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
you can get a spanner here
https://www.ebiketuning.com/manufacturer/ebikespider/ebikespider.html

i have never needed a chain whip to remove the front sprocket i just hold the crank arms.
Just to say - the particular link above is 100% NOT the tool you need with a Bosch CX on a cube bike. It is entirely the wrong approach. You need the more traditional spider that can engage with the sprocket holes. The Bosch/Cube (and maybe other bikes?) combination has a black shield around the sprocket that stops the spanner-like "ebikespider" being able to work - there simply is no room for it to fit on.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
this is the spidertool which ballynose gave a link too at £19 just arrived seems pretty sturdy .DSCF0463.JPG

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
this is the spidertool which ballynose gave a link too at £19 just arrived seems pretty sturdy .View attachment 23667
Yeah I just found one in stock at Singletrackbikes for about £19 delivered so grabbed that as the eBay one is out of stock now. Apparently the black shield/lockring combo is known as a "Miranda Lockring" for reference.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Just to say - the particular link above is 100% NOT the tool you need with a Bosch CX on a cube bike. It is entirely the wrong approach. You need the more traditional spider that can engage with the sprocket holes. The Bosch/Cube (and maybe other bikes?) combination has a black shield around the sprocket that stops the spanner-like "ebikespider" being able to work - there simply is no room for it to fit on.
If you removing the spocket then its probably time to service bearing seal which means removing plastic motor. Not big issue on Cube, just few more screws and time.

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got in there. Was hard work getting the miranda lockring off though. Ended up buying a 1/2 inch ratchet handle to fit into the new spider tool too. Had to put bike on floor and lean heavily to get spider to engage and provide enough static traction to stop the wheel spinning.Once the ring was loosened it was easy. Was amazed how much crap is inside there already though. Was loads of build up of crud on 15t sprocket that I cleaned off. Applied silicon grease around some entrance points to help keep crap out.

Hardest thing with fitting new motor cover was getting the internal metal plates and screws fixed back in place. The small metal plates are really soft metal too - the screw thread on one completely stripped and that was with minimal tightening. I've now had to replace one of the 6 small bolts with a nut & bolt right through the plastic shell and metal plate instead.

The new cover has an extra hole for securing at about 11 O'Clock relative to sprocket looking from side. The hole for this is already in place but the original cover didn't have the extra hole. Arguably I could have just made a hole in the original cover and screwed a new 6mm bolt in rather than replace the whole lot as this would have pulled the cover in by a mm or two. The profile of the new cover doesn't seem that different. Crucially, the chain is now clear of the cover by 1-2mm and no longer scrapes on it.

Reactions: Ballynoes

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Did you remove and regrease seal around drive bearing, see seal kit on my parts list. If you don't service seal the main bearing will die especially if doing lot of MTBing.

Replace chainring (€8) with chain(€25), your chain will last longer and you'll avoid dreaded chainsuck. If you get jammed chain from chainsuck, turn drive off and step on chain, then lube. Not great solution but it will get riding again. Switching from miranda chain guard to nut (see part list) allows to you clear jam without stepping on chain, chain may jump of chainring on downhills but only ends up on nut 10sec stop to put right.

Luther

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2018
London
Chaps.... I’m looking to change the front sprocket on my new Reaction from a 15t to something like a 19t or 20t. I know I’ve read on one of the threads somewhere that this will help me from spinning out on my daily commute but can someone please point me in the right direction for the correct tools to remove the crank arm and existing sprocket.

Also, a recommendation for the front sprocket and where to source it would be appreciated?

Many thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Luther

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Chaps.... I’m looking to change the front sprocket on my new Reaction from a 15t to something like a 19t or 20t. I know I’ve read on one of the threads somewhere that this will help me from spinning out on my daily commute but can someone please point me in the right direction for the correct tools to remove the crank arm and existing sprocket.

Also, a recommendation for the front sprocket and where to source it would be appreciated?

Many thanks.
Try reading all thread.

Luther

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2018
London
Try reading all thread.
Yeah.... I did that several times. I noticed there were three different tool recommendations but got lost when someone mentioned one of the tools was incorrect. I’ve ordered the eBay one now and hopefully it’s the right one.

Blackbird

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2018
I've changed my 16t to a 18t and have a 11-42 cassette with 29 inch wheels. For me it was enough to stop me from spinning out but in the future i might change to a 17t. If i use the top gear i need to be going faster then 40 km/h otherwise the cadence becomes to low. Something to consider.
This will differ for 27.5/26 inch wheels.

Related Articles

Advertisers