Bosch CX motor change

DIG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 8, 2018
preston
Hi just a quick query regarding replacement Bosch CX motor on my ebike.
Has anyone been charged the mechanics time for the warranty motor replacement? This is what my bike supplier is suggesting, though have not picked up bike yet so not sure if i will get this bill.
The same bike supplier replaced all my Whyte 46 bearings under lifetime warranty for free, but did charge a nominal fee to transfer all parts once after a previous bike frame cracked and was replaced under warranty. Manufacturer insisted all my components were swapped by bike shop as part of the warranty replacement.

I don't feel I should be charged for a warranty replacement part on a £5k+ bike or any bike come to that.
Have you any experience of this?

Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
fitting a motor is a 15min job if that 3 main bolts hold the motor on then 3 connectors thats it bar the outside case if you have one or part of one.

stephen Harvey

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2015
I have just gone through the same process i.e. replacement motor about 7 months old and I was not charged at all so very happy personally if it’s a warranty issue I don’t think you should be expected to pay - you did buy the bike from the shop your having the warranty work undertaken ?? It might be different if you did not buy the bike from the shop your having the warranty work done by ... sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIG

Jan 8, 2018
preston
Thanks all for the comments. I am having the replacement done by the bike supplier but having checked the manufacturers warranty conditions it does state all warranty parts will be supplied free baring labour. So i guess the manufacturer isn't paying the bike shop, hopefully they will take it on the chin, specially as its minimal work and more importantly ??? I am a loyal customer having spent over £12k+ on bikes in last 10years.
Lets see how it pans out.

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I ordered my bike online but had to get a local ( expensive) bike shop to replace the motor. They charged £80, thankfully although the online seller of the bike wouldn't refund me this they did give me £80 of store credit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I ordered my bike online but had to get a local ( expensive) bike shop to replace the motor. They charged £80, thankfully although the online seller of the bike wouldn't refund me this they did give me £80 of store credit.
£80 to fit a motor is ridiculous thats like £10 a minute there charging for labour.

i bet no other normal bike service ie to change the bottom bracket costs that much.

my lbs will service a hole bike top to bottom for 80 quid and even clean it and polish it.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I wasn't charged for my recent motor swap. It was done by the supplying dealer and they said Bosch credit them for the time. Another nearby shop who are a Bosch service centre don't charge either, even if you bought the bike elsewhere.

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
Remember, that as well as the manufacturer's warranty, a consumer also has statutory rights. Those are with the seller.

Warranty or not it looks like the seller has accepted that the motor is inherently faulty.

If that is so, then Section 23 of The Consumer Rights Act 2015 might be useful.
Amongst other things, that says:
23 Right to repair or replacement

(2) If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must —

(a) do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer, and

(b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

stephen Harvey

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2015
Quick question can we upgrade the software in a Purion controller or is this only done at the shop ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackbird

Jun 15, 2018
Just software upgrades. Like the EMTB mode or the support for shorter cranks that is coming.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Just software upgrades. Like the EMTB mode or the support for shorter cranks that is coming.
I don’t see emtb mode as an upgrade personally
Shorter cranks are always nice for clearance thou :)

Related Articles

Advertisers