Bosch ebike motor reliability

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I was told on my thread about CX reliability "not to worry about it" (all that was missing was "your pretty little head") by KTM Ind, it's an easy fix...bo*ll*ks...why the f**k should you pay the best part of £5k for a bike that will be unusable after it's out of warranty and you have to fix it yourself! There's quite a few cheap, low-mileage Bosch motored bikes gone through ebay with what seems to be a good deal because they've got "new replacement motors", but they're just passing on the problem to the new owner who will not be warrantied when it all goes tits up! Simple fix my arse!
http://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/Motor_und_Zubehoer/Antriebseinheit_Performance_CX_25_km_h_artikel58c062df06ccd.html

If the e-bike is not yet 2 years old, we can also take over the warranty.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
You only have to look on Face F*ck to see the number of failures (I know, I know SW, FB is full of idiots)...there's going to be alot of secondhand owners with non transferable buyer-warranties who are going to be up **** creek...and as the other current thread says, there's no mechanics who can fix them!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
You only have to look on Face F*ck to see the number of failures (I know, I know SW, FB is full of idiots)...there's going to be alot of secondhand owners with non transferable buyer-warranties who are going to be up **** creek...and as the other current thread says, there's no mechanics who can fix them!
as long as the motor is in its 2 year warranty then pcg will take it over and exchange it tho you will have to pay postage so id check the sn on a 2nd hand bike motor first to make sure it is in warranty.

seems uk dealers wont do this so just says it all tbh.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
If the e-bike is not yet 2 years old, we can also take over the warranty.
Circa £5K for a bike with 2 year warranty is crap SW, mine and my missus' original BBS02s are 3yo and still going strong (as are the 20+ I've sold, ride with and serviced)...parts are cheap, easily available and you can actually service it yourself, a monkey could rebuild one and as for the £600ish replacement, don't make me laugh, you could buy two 750W BBS02B's for that kind of money with a bit of change chucked in...and this'll appeal to you, they're 3x the power of the Bosch, 48V and break the 15.5 speed limit with just a push of a couple of buttons!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Circa £5K for a bike with 2 year warranty is crap SW, mine and my missus' original BBS02s are 3yo and still going strong (as are the 20+ I've sold, ride with and serviced)...parts are cheap, easily available and you can actually service it yourself, a monkey could rebuild one and as for the £600ish replacement, don't make me laugh, you could buy two 750W BBS02B's for that kind of money with a bit of change chucked in...and this'll appeal to you, they're 3x the power of the Bosch, 48V and break the 15.5 speed limit with just a push of a couple of buttons!
48v pfff i want one of these just batt be way to big atm.
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=297&osCsid=g990tavamctntjfnre8kqm74a7

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
210Hp...good for just over 200mph...shite frame though, I've built better lol...saved in favourites SW but howTF am I getting 350V in a bike frame? not forgetting it only has to travel one mile...and this has got nowt to do with Bosch reliability lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
210Hp...good for just over 200mph...shite frame though, I've built better lol...saved in favourites SW but howTF am I getting 350V in a bike frame? not forgetting it only has to travel one mile...and this has got nowt to do with Bosch reliability lol

at full speed that can do 20 miles so smaller batt and some custom frame strong enough should kick ass over 1 mile tho 10k for the motor and only 1 year warranty :(

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org

Like the way people laugh at the start, "must be a joke" lol

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
That motor is the dogs mate and I'm on it....thanks

At $10K it's cheaper than my 540Bhp Busa that has hit 240+ and far more fun as no-one is doing it and they say it'll never happen...again, this has nothing to do with Bosch reliability though lol

Last edited:

Tofu21

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2017
U.K.
I was told on my thread about CX reliability "not to worry about it" (all that was missing was "your pretty little head") by KTM Ind, it's an easy fix...bo*ll*ks...why the f**k should you pay the best part of £5k for a bike that will be unusable after it's out of warranty and you have to fix it yourself! There's quite a few cheap, low-mileage Bosch motored bikes gone through ebay with what seems to be a good deal because they've got "new replacement motors", but they're just passing on the problem to the new owner who will not be warrantied when it all goes tits up! Simple fix my arse!
I have resigned myself to my ebike having a 2 year lifespan. After that I can see me stripping it down for parts. Keeping some and flogging others.

The eBike is great at getting me out when otherwise I wouldn’t be well enough to ride a proper bike but from my experience so far, they are a pain in the bum. The ebike is a great tool but I don’t like it as much as my other bikes....

If I was to roll back th clock 3 months I think I would have got a full sus as I think the hardtail is helping to kill bearings. I would have looked at the direct drive option from Shimano more closely too.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I don't think FS eMTB would make any difference to motor bearing reliability. The FS does make huge difference to comfort and traction when climbing over rough ground, comes at higher maintenance cost.

Tofu21

Aug 9, 2017
U.K.
How have you come to that conclusion?

I can't see how that would make any difference, and I've yet to have a motor from either of the hardtail eMTB's that I have owned.

On technical bits when I’m stood up, most of my weight is going through the pedals and end up being supported by the bearings in the motor.

My thought is that on a hardtail all of the forces is going through the motor without any adsorption (OK apart from the 2.8 tyres and a bit from the fork).

On a full sus, these forces will be disapated by the rear suspension so the motor will be under less strain and load.

So I’m expecting that bearings on the hardtails are given more grief will therefore wear the bearing surfaces sooner than would be the case on a full sus. Water would then attack these warn surfaces and form corrosion which will shorten the life of the bearing.

D

Deleted member 4366

On technical bits when I’m stood up, most of my weight is going through the pedals and end up being supported by the bearings in the motor.

My thought is that on a hardtail all of the forces is going through the motor without any adsorption (OK apart from the 2.8 tyres and a bit from the fork).

On a full sus, these forces will be disapated by the rear suspension so the motor will be under less strain and load.

So I’m expecting that bearings on the hardtails are given more grief will therefore wear the bearing surfaces sooner than would be the case on a full sus. Water would then attack these warn surfaces and form corrosion which will shorten the life of the bearing.
I'm pretty sure that your weight on the pedals and bottom bracket doesn't change with the type of suspension you have. I would have thought that FS would be worse because there will be additional impacts through the chain which you wouldn't get on a hard-tail.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
I did 13.000 km in 18 months, on my Haibike Cross RX 2016 with the CX motor. No problems with the motor...

Tofu21

Aug 9, 2017
U.K.
I'm pretty sure that your weight on the pedals and bottom bracket doesn't change with the type of suspension you have. I would have thought that FS would be worse because there will be additional impacts through the chain which you wouldn't get on a hard-tail.
Totally agree my weight won’t change depending on the bike I am riding

I think the forces that the motor will be put under will be less on a full sus compared to a hardtail.

When you are hammering down a rocky off road section you can feel a big difference in the feedback you get though through your feet.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
The load on a static (not rotating) bearing will not have any effect on wear rate, full sus, rigid, standing or sitting the bearing needs to rotate before it will wear.
Example, stick a handful of sand in your underpants and stand still, no probs :cool:, now try running :eek:

Related Articles

Advertisers