Bosch Engine Repairs After Warranty??

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Anyone enlighten me on the the above if needed.

I will use the analogy of my car. If it needs repairing and I am prepared to pay for it I can take it to any main dealer for that make of vehicle (if I choose to use them) and get it sorted out.

Given how many Bosch engined ebikes there are out there now on so many different manufacturers machines (costing up to and in excess of 6K or so sometimes!) I would expect any authorised Bosch engined bike retailer to politely offer a repair service at whatever charge, which would then be up to me to accept or decline.
As Bosch training is the relevant thing here, I would expect the bike brand to be irrelevant.

One retailer who contributes to this forum intimates very clearly that he will only 'look after' his own customers.

In this day and age purchasers move to another part of the country or buy on line etc. Surely then, we need a good network of of trained helpful Bosch dealers to help us out whatever the circumstances, as long as we are prepared to pay the going rate, once our warranty expires.

So, am I missing a trick here? Is there a geographical list available of such a network? If not why not?

I may be maligning the retail ebike trade here without good reason and if so, I apologise.

But I sense that if I have post warranty issues with either of my Bosch engined bikes it's just pot luck as to how much help I can get locally.

Your comments would be interesting. Thanks.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Agree, but I'm of the opinion when the motor goes and I or local guy I know can't fix it, I can get a replacement for about £600, at least last time I looked.

I've been told that these motors either work or they don't no real maintenance required. I'm hoping mine works for some time yet.

Reactions: J8519

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dealers cant fix bosch motors no parts are available to buy for them less you can source the parts ur self bearings ect anything else then it will need a replacement motor.

you also need to send in the broken motor b4 they will even sell you one no dealers has spare stock motors.

you also cant change motors even if you pay for it you can only replace what you have.

Reactions: Emo Rider

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

all a dealer will do is check the motor with a pc then remove the motor and send it back to bosch for replacement.
That's not true.

A dealer can clear error codes, do software updates, etc etc , they can also supply you with spare parts, strip and fix motors after warranty is out. They can do service reports for your bike, so you have its history when you come to sell it. They can liaise with Bosch on your behalf to fix any problems etc etc.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
give us a list of parts then that can be bought as i have never found any bar bearings.

also you cant change the motors settings ie active to performance as has to be done buy bosch.

i want a price for every part in that photo ;)

Reactions: tompaah
give us a list of parts then that can be bought as i have never found any bar bearings.

also you cant change the motors settings ie active to performance as has to be done buy bosch.

i want a price for every part in that photo ;)
That wasn't what I said, or even you asked.

You said

all a dealer will do is check the motor with a pc then remove the motor and send it back to bosch for replacement.
Which isn't correct, as I've said above there is a lot they can do.

What you've shown there is a CX drive, which is currently within warranty period so there is no market for making aftermarket parts is there? Also in the entire time we've been selling Bosch CH motors its only really the bearing that wears out. I met a Haibike rider recently who just has a stock of bearings and replaces his every 6 months or so, he doesn't even bother with the warranty anymore.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant buy any parts for the inside of any motor so you cant service them.

you cant buy any parts for the inside of any motor so you cant service them.
I don't know why I bother to humour you, but other people are reading this and I hope will benefit from some intelligent replies and not you mindless shouting.

Dealers can service Bosch eBikes in a number of ways, many many ways in fact.

They can and do also get spares for Bosch motors, because when bikes break or fall off car racks etc there are Bosch motors floating about that can be stripped for spares if needed. So if you have a friendly Bosch dealer they will have contacts, with people like us, who will help them out.

You as a member of the public do not have access to these services or phone numbers.

Reactions: BigG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
like i said you cant buy the parts to fix them. you cant even buy a motor unless you send in the motor you have to get replaced.

only option is to buy a broken one off ebay and use it for spares :)

Reactions: Gwlec
Soundwave... you not making sense.

You've said yourself...

like i said you cant buy the parts to fix them.
and

only option is to buy a broken one off ebay and use it for spares :)
Do you think dealers and brands and Bosch don't have access to spares?

Dealers can offer lots of support and service bikes, and get spares from a range of sources, many of which you can't access.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
prove it post a screen shot of the parts you can get then and the prices.

Reactions: Gwlec

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
I don't know why I bother to humour you, but other people are reading this and I hope will benefit from some intelligent replies and not you mindless shouting.

Dealers can service Bosch eBikes in a number of ways, many many ways in fact.

They can and do also get spares for Bosch motors, because when bikes break or fall off car racks etc there are Bosch motors floating about that can be stripped for spares if needed. So if you have a friendly Bosch dealer they will have contacts, with people like us, who will help them out.

You as a member of the public do not have access to these services or phone numbers.
Sorry to have been the initiator of a KTM vs SW spat :)

That aside, doesn't this response get right to my point and sum up my concerns?

'if you have a friendly Bosch dealer....'

Surely I shouldn't have to know a friendly Bosch dealer. I believe I should should be able to walk into ANY Bosch dealer, irrespective of which brand of bike they sell, and receive a uniform standard of ability, courtesy and repair pricing structure.

I think I should also have access to an up to date list of these dealers.

It just doesn't seem right that as owner of a quality product fitted to bikes costing sometimes, many thousands of pounds, the consumer should have to be subject to a world of contacts that we can't have access to.

• Agree
Reactions: Gwlec and Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can find the bearings for the drive side and have found a place to recell the batts but any other parts like the nylon gears ect bosch/ magura dont sell them to the public or dealers.

even under warranty dealers cant open the motors as they all have to go back to bosch for replacement if there faulty.

which if 1 plastic part has failed or a bearing goes which would be simple to fix buy a dealer there not allowed to touch it as will void the warranty and has to go back to bosch for a new motor.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
dealers cant fix bosch motors no parts are available to buy for them less you can source the parts ur self bearings ect anything else then it will need a replacement motor.

you also need to send in the broken motor b4 they will even sell you one no dealers has spare stock motors.

you also cant change motors even if you pay for it you can only replace what you have.
... As you are aware, the Bosch is a system containing the motor assembly proper, the battery pack, wirings, charger , display panel, wheel sensor. Would you expect the bike shop to dismantle the battery pack and rebuild it. For their own reasons, probably due to a QA perception, they want to keep the motor rebuild within the factory. Not all Bosch cyclists may be as knowledgeable as you , and may need support if the wheel magnet got displaced , or for brakes servicing etc.
Mainland Europe has a superb logistics network and it is highly feasible to get goods accross the continent overnight. Mind you even this fails into comparison with service I received from a California company. I ordered a set of microcontrollers at 2 00 pm irish time and had them on my desk at 4:00 pm the following day. So the reasons to have localised repair centres are diminishing.
There are a number of services the dealer can and does offer. Sourcing and replacing any of the modules display, calibration, motor and wiring.

The analogy with cars is apt. Previously one might have gone to a local guy to get the alternator rewound, now it's a factory rebuilt unit.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Sorry to have been the initiator of a KTM vs SW spat :)

That aside, doesn't this response get right to my point and sum up my concerns?

'if you have a friendly Bosch dealer....'

Surely I shouldn't have to know a friendly Bosch dealer. I believe I should should be able to walk into ANY Bosch dealer, irrespective of which brand of bike they sell, and receive a uniform standard of ability, courtesy and repair pricing structure.

I think I should also have access to an up to date list of these dealers.

It just doesn't seem right that as owner of a quality product fitted to bikes costing sometimes, many thousands of pounds, the consumer should have to be subject to a world of contacts that we can't have access to.
... I think you could take KTM at his word, and that any main Bosch systems dealer would have the capacity and competence to see you right.
Whether there is an underworld of dealer networks distributing parts is neither here or there. Just like I suspect you are not interested in how interflora gets your flowers to hongkong.