Bosch Engine Repairs After Warranty??

D

Deleted member 4366

I have only ever had one broken chain and I found it by accident when cleaning it. So now I carry a chain tool and a power link but after about 7000 miles I haven't need to use it, But, I do try to look after my chain and replace it at the first signs of wear.. Probably earlier than is really necessary, but I think its a false economy to try to make a chain last a long time
It's just as quick to re-rivet the chain. Just push the pin out far enough to clear the inner link, remove the next pin so that the damaged link is removed, and then push the first pin back in. You'll be a link short, but I doubt that you'll notice. In the worst case, you wouldn't be able to use bottom gear. The chances are that you'll lose a link anyway with the power link because it's only half a link.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yet more fiction about crank drives being more prone to break chains.
Which members who ride hub bikes do you know that carry a spare chain or chain tools on their bikes?

Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Which members who ride hub bikes do you know that carry a spare chain or chain tools on their bikes?
Which may be relevant to something, but not to why a chain breaks.

If what you say is correct, chains would never break on push bikes, but they do, albeit not often.

Posters can make up their own minds, but all of your posts are just a puff for woosh.

That's why you are here, not to inform, but to push woosh bikes.

You pay for the privilege, that's fine.

But let's be realistic here.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Which may be relevant to something, but not to why a chain breaks.

If what you say is correct, chains would never break on push bikes, but they do, albeit not often.
But let's be realistic here.
Yes, let's be realistic, what is the probability that a chain breaks on a CD bike compared to that on a hub bike? If it is significant, then it should be taken into account for suitability when choosing a tool for your commute.
You are also correct, I do unpaid work for Woosh but I do work for Woosh nonetheless. However, these threads are general technical discussions, not aimed at anyone in particular, and I do hope some members find my posts informative and useful.
FYI, I fit KMC X8 chains to all my bikes, including CD bikes, and the number of broken chains could be counted on one hand (OK, both hands).

Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I think from my perspective, pretty much all the cycling i do is for commuting.
Ive not had a chain break on me as yet, but I do have to take into consideration that if it was to break, then I could still in theory get home on a hub bike using the throttle or pedal assist, but not on a chain drive bike.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I carry a quick link and chain breaker.

Never used the link, but the breaker has been used twice to assist push cyclists.

A roadie I was riding with broke his chain on the flat at about 12mph.

The other occasion was strain related.

Regrouping at the top of Ditchling Beacon with my roadie companions, another roadie turned up pushing.

He had snapped his chain on the way up.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I always carry the same kit whichever bike I ride out, this includes a spare chain, 6" of old links, snap links & chain breaker.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think the dealers and mechanics should have the best take on the chain issue but when i asked the guys at lbs about chain issues they told me the bosch motor smooths out the torque that is applied to the chain when pedaling so it's not a problem. Now, after 5 ish years of riding ebikes that seems to be the case.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have always carried a spare chain, whether it is riding my pedal bike, the previous hub drive bikes, or my crank drive bikes. I also carry a chain breaking tool, and spare links. If I were just riding on the road, and not at night time, then I probably wouldn't bother carrying a spare chain at all.

The only chain that I ever had snap, was a Shimano one on my pedal mtb. I just use cheap KMC chains on the eMTB's and have never had a single issue.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
On the close side of ten thousand miles on two crank drive bikes, I have never had a chain breaking issue. To be fair, this has been mainly commuting but I regularly get up on the pedals. My new Yamaha powered Haibike has been flawless over the 1,800 miles already on it. I have customers with crank drive and hub drive bikes that have put almost 5,000 milles on their original chains.

I have not had to deal with many broken chain issues but all of them have been on hub drives (we sell these the most). I would put 95% of these issues to manufacturing defects rather than usage. The OP has definitely had some bad luck with a new bike. I am in agreement with those that suggest that once the bike has a good quality chain and proper setup, this will be a fading memory as the trouble free miles pile up.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
On the close side of ten thousand miles on two crank drive bikes, I have never had a chain breaking issue. To be fair, this has been mainly commuting but I regularly get up on the pedals. My new Yamaha powered Haibike has been flawless over the 1,800 miles already on it. I have customers with crank drive and hub drive bikes that have put almost 5,000 milles on their original chains.

I have not had to deal with many broken chain issues but all of them have been on hub drives (we sell these the most). I would put 95% of these issues to manufacturing defects rather than usage. The OP has definitely had some bad luck with a new bike. I am in agreement with those that suggest that once the bike has a good quality chain and proper setup, this will be a fading memory as the trouble free miles pile up.
I have never had a chain brake on me. The first I have heard about it is on this forum. If they were a regular occurrence then there must be some underlying cause. A proper engineered product should last a specific duration when subject to known conditions. Chain wear and stretch I understand, but catastrophic failure no.
I can understand the desire to have lighter and lighter parts on a bike, particularly for competition, and for general purpose cycling commuting or leisure, one less weetabix would compensate for the weight loss. And on an electric bike the weight gain or loss is almost irrelevant. If component failure is becoming an issue, the question needs to be asked has the weight loss trend gone to far.

Reactions: Emo Rider

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes, let's be realistic, what is the probability that a chain breaks on a CD bike compared to that on a hub bike? If it is significant, then it should be taken into account for suitability when choosing a tool for your commute.
You are also correct, I do unpaid work for Woosh but I do work for Woosh nonetheless. However, these threads are general technical discussions, not aimed at anyone in particular, and I do hope some members find my posts informative and useful.
FYI, I fit KMC X8 chains to all my bikes, including CD bikes, and the number of broken chains could be counted on one hand (OK, both hands).
... Woosh you are in a better position to give reliable statistics than most of the punters here. How many chain snaps as a percentage of product. ?I reckon it pretty small.?