Bosch motor failure

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
The main crank bearing on my 2015 KTM Bosch Activeline has failed :( Grinding noise etc and slight resistance. Taken to local dealer who advised that motor has to be removed, sent back to Bosch in Germany then have to wait for replacement motor. All under warranty....been advised could be 2 to 3 weeks as Bosch don't send out parts on warranty claims but will more likely send out new motor .....Dealers says probably bearing seal failed....:(

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Only done 500 miles so dealer going to ask for " free upgrade to a powerlne" as " customer not happy".
To be truthful 500 miles is not really a high milage at all really compared to some people bosch motors have done 14,000 miles i think you have been just the unlucky one .

i think bosch should let the dealers have some motors in stock to save the waiting around 3 weeks for a turn a round is a long time without a bike to ride and if you need it like i do to get about places your pretty stuck.

My motor has gone back to Germany it keeps flashing error codes for some reason it could be up to a couple of weeks before it gets back from germany

colin79666

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2015
Midlothian
You have me worried now! I've done a similar mileage on my KTM Activeline powered bike and will be getting back onto the saddle soon now that the worst of winter is hopefully behind us. Can't remember how long the warranty is on the unit but it was at least a year.

Reactions: stumpy150

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bosch parts are 2 year warranty
Yes, Panasonic introduced the 2 year warranty on crank motor units and batteries 15 years ago at a time when all other e-bike warranties were a year at most and most batteries had no warranty at all. Eventually the others had no option but to follow suit.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I had my Bosch battery tested as it reached two years. It came out very healthy, more than I can say for myself. But I'm much older than two years.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
There is no issue with the KTM / Shimano parts etc I was fecked off that BOSCH don't carry any spares in the UK bearing in mind I can purchase just about every Bosch branded product and spares - automotive , electrical , domestic appalliances ----
So have sent Bosch a " unhappy customer " email - will see what there reply is ........
The chap in the bike shop said they have only ever had one other motor failure and not a bearing. He said it was a design failure of the seal - possibly the original Gen 1 seals being used and that they will probably just send out a new motor with an upgraded seal.
I am unhappy as it has only been off road a few times and nothing major - max 60 miles in total - all other has been road / canal towpaths

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
seems if the bosch motor is going to fail it happens at the 4-500 mile range so best get it replaced tho it sucks the time it takes.

even if it was out of warranty they still want the old motor back b4 they will sell you a new 1 which is nuts.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
He said it was a design failure of the seal - possibly the original Gen 1 seals being used and that they will probably just send out a new motor with an upgraded seal.
Just so you know there aren't actually any seals at either end of the pedal crank shaft.

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
There is a known problem with the main drive bearing on the Gen 2 motors, it though should not have failed after such a low mileage [mine started to get noisy after ~ 4000km]

Bosch now use an upgraded bearing [MAX type i.e. it has the maximum number of ball bearings in the race for higher radial strength], the upgraded bearing also features a more robust seal [LLU type]. There is also a small auxiliary seal being fitted externally, which give some extra mechanical protection to the main bearing seal.

The bearing and auxiliary seal are available from a certain UK ebike shop, though they will only sell to people who have purchased bikes from them.

Reactions: kingsknight

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Local Bosch / KTM dealer says3 weeks- I emailed Bosch to say how disappointed I was and they told me to take it up with dealer as I was an end user !! So much for customer service / satisfaction etc

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
There is a known problem with the main drive bearing on the Gen 2 motors, it though should not have failed after such a low mileage [mine started to get noisy after ~ 4000km]

Bosch now use an upgraded bearing [MAX type i.e. it has the maximum number of ball bearings in the race for higher radial strength], the upgraded bearing also features a more robust seal [LLU type]. There is also a small auxiliary seal being fitted externally, which give some extra mechanical protection to the main bearing seal.

The bearing and auxiliary seal are available from a certain UK ebike shop, though they will only sell to people who have purchased bikes from them.
Source?

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
This is the response I got from Bosch :-
Thanks for your Email

Regarding the DU you Emailed us about, are you a end customer or a dealer? :)

If end customer then you'll have to take contact to your closest dealer.

Regarding the DU then its a rear problem that does not happen often.

Kind regards

Gerhard-Kindler-Str. 3
72770 Reutlingen
GERMANY

Yes, don't take it personally, Bosch and indeed most brands in cycling won't deal with the public direct. They always put you in contact with your local dealer. It saves confusion, its always best to have one channel of communication.

If you get your dealer to contact us we can do our best to facilitate a quick solution to this problem for the best of everyone concerned.

But as stated, Bosch have upped their support to the UK dramatically since their 250w motors became legal here last year. They are a great brand to be working with and the support they offer dealers is excellent.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, don't take it personally, Bosch and indeed most brands in cycling won't deal with the public direct. They always put you in contact with your local dealer. It saves confusion, its always best to have one channel of communication.
Also this is in compliance with consumer law:

Legally, you have a contract according to the Sale and Supply of Goods Act, and that contract is with the retailer, the person who you paid your money to, and not the manufacturer. Any rights that you have against the manufacturer, such as a warranty, are in addition to your legal rights in consumer law, and so you don’t have to rely on that. Your first port of call should always be the shop.

Reactions: VictoryV