Bosch motor failure

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Eddie, I went out on my specialized, which is far better equipped.......but not as much fun - I never thought I would own up to that :)

Just annoyed ( can you tell ?) Having forked out nearly two grand on a bike ..... that it broke down so soon....but glad it's fixed.

The weather has been good over the last few days...so racked up 100 miles just to " run it in ". :)

Odometer was back to zero, firmware updated too :)

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
no uk dealer can fix the motor or even open it as will void the warranty and is just sent back to bosch for a replacement.

got a washing machine tho and out like a flash to put more crap in it to keep it going round.

and when the warranty does run out bin it and buy another :rolleyes:
I wonder when you be able to buy replacement drive units as a complete unit? No doubt eBay will be loaded with them sourced from grey imports ?

The mechanic at Ilkley told me it was basically a Bosch power steering power steering pump.....anyone heard similar ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
did they give you a uprated motor or just a replacement?

if bosch released the diagnostic software ppl could just take the motor off and send it back for a new 1 and avoid all this dealer bs.

i also think dealers selling these things and not uphold the warranty because they think a dongle has been used is a total joke.

if bosch cant prove it they sure as hell cant, and they can not even open the motor to even see the damage.

like do i void my warranty if i brake my xd hub again..no and will get a new 1 even if i had a rocket motor on my bike.

Reactions: stumpy150

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
did they give you a uprated motor or just a replacement?

if bosch released the diagnostic software ppl could just take the motor off and send it back for a new 1 and avoid all this dealer bs.

i also think dealers selling these things and not uphold the warranty because they think a dongle has been used is a total joke.

if bosch cant prove it they sure as hell cant, and they can not even open the motor to even see the damage.

like do i void my warranty if i brake my xd hub again..no and will get a new 1 even if i had a rocket motor on my bike.
No upgrade etc, just got like for like..ACTIVE LINE ...but the job sheet from Bosch / dealer shows several parts including new lock ring.

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

NFjekrj)€&

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Slovakia
Hi, this is what I am getting on the CX line. Sensor and magnet are in the correct position. I was told by the dealer, that the engine will be sent to Bosch... I just did 280km; however the problem first appeared around 200km

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hi, this is what I am getting on the CX line. Sensor and magnet are in the correct position. I was told by the dealer, that the engine will be sent to Bosch... I just did 280km; however the problem first appeared around 200km
Just a speed sensor issue I'd say. my magnet is further back than yours, not sure which position is correct, but have you tried moving it and checked the sensor wires and connection to the motor? although having said that this thread points to a faulty sensor.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bosch-speed-sensor-fault-code.18204/

NFjekrj)€&

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Slovakia
Just a speed sensor issue I'd say. my magnet is further back than yours, not sure which position is correct, but have you tried moving it and checked the sensor wires and connection to the motor? although having said that this thread points to a faulty sensor.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bosch-speed-sensor-fault-code.18204/
Hi,
the dealer did, they checked everything...while in the shop, the bike acted normally. The same day I took the bike home and did some climbing. After 5 km I have been getting zero support from the engine. So it is going to the dealership again.

The correct position of the magnet is as follows:

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Almost exactly at 3000 km my 2nd gen motor in KTM Macina Freeze crapped out. An audible creak had developed during last few months but I could not locate where it came from. Then I noticed the left crank arm is loose. After I tightened it, it would not rotate properly. I removed the crank and found out there's a washer or lockring under the crank that was in pieces. It had also shredded the crank arm. I could not find that particular part in Bosch service manual. I asked my dealer and they asked Bosch. Bosch told it's KTM problem (wrong assembly or something). KTM will send a new motor which I will receive next week.

Very happy with my dealer and KTM sorting this out, but a bit worried about the bike. What if this happens again after the warranty is out? Shell out 600e for replacement motor?

Attachments

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I actually do that. I've been tightening them all the time when trying to find out the source of the creak (checked motor mounting bolts, seat post, cranks, pedals, headset, rear axle..). But the crank failure was due to something else. Anyone have that part under their left crank arm?

This is how the crank arm looked when pulled off. The broken ring had grinded it quite a lot.

crank arm.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
maybe you just over tightened it ? mine come off just with an Allan key and dont need a crank puller.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You should really be checking the tightness of the isis crank bolt as part of a regular maintenance regime.
Is once every four years (just now) enough?

Reactions: EddiePJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
much better than possibly over-tightening it.
I checked both bikes and all the bolts felt rock solid, so I suspect they are plenty tight enough, if not a bit over done.

Another recent incident involved the handlebars on the AVE turning in the clamp, which was mildly alarming.

Turned out one of the bolts was no more than finger tight, and the rest weren't much tighter.

Checking fixings regularly is a good idea, although my road/cycle path use doesn't rattle bolts loose as quickly as mountain biking.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu
D

Deleted member 4366

ISIS cranks do creak. I suspect that that failure was due to over-tightening them. You need to read up on the mountain bike forums how to deal with creaking ISIS cranks.

I greased mine when it started creaking, which seemed to work. Here's one suggestion:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Stop-creeky-cranks/

Last edited by a moderator: