Bosch - New eMtb mode

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
Just seen this article about a new Bosch eMTB mode via software update?
http://ebike-mtb.com/en/emtb-mode-bosch-cx-review/

Sounds like it's a dynamic assist mode that replaces the sport mode. Not sure if they have released the update to retailers yet, has anyone got the update already?

Need to take my bike in for repair on Monday after I had a little mishap, so will ask about it then.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I can't say that it interests me.

Most of my riding is carried out using either eco or tour*. Occasionally, as in a few times a year, I might use sport, and as far as I can recall I have only used turbo mode once or twice in roughly 6,000 miles of off road riding.

*eco when out with pedal mtb riders and tour when out on my own.

• Agree
Reactions: argoose and Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its a cbftpb mode :D

Dave Middleton

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2017
Scotland
Hi.
I own a Scott E Aspect 710 with the Bosch CX motor.
How will the forthcoming software update be installed. Can I install or does the Intuvia have to go to a bike shop?

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
The sunny side of the Alps
I got this info when I bought my bike last week. It will be available to install in the shop in August.
I was told it will add a mode that will automatically change between TOUR and SPORT.
Will probably get it, but I'am not sure it will make a lot of difference. I probably won't even notice it in action.

P.S. Checked out the bosch site. It will actually continuously adapt the power from TOUR to TURBO depending on the user power input. Now that might be a nice mode. Because TURBO now really feels too trigger happy.

Last edited:

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
The sunny side of the Alps
Had the new SW installed a few days ago. eMTB mode works great. It replaces SPORT and makes TOUR and TURBO obsolete.

I used to have to switch between modes all the time (in the mountains), but now I can really just leave it in eMTB.

Reactions: E-Wheels

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Had the new SW installed a few days ago. eMTB mode works great. It replaces SPORT and makes TOUR and TURBO obsolete.

I used to have to switch between modes all the time (in the mountains), but now I can really just leave it in eMTB.
So does that mean there are only Off, Eco & EMTB modes?

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors

Sounds similar to the Shimano E8000 trail mode. Varies assistance depending on the force applied by the rider. Makes for very natural feeling assistance without any delays. Little bar graph on the display lets you know how much assistance you are getting so you can vary your input to adjust consumption.

• Agree
Reactions: Fish2

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Sounds similar to the Shimano E8000 trail mode. Varies assistance depending on the force applied by the rider. Makes for very natural feeling assistance without any delays. Little bar graph on the display lets you know how much assistance you are getting so you can vary your input to adjust consumption.
But that is what has always happened with the Bosch and Yamaha systems as they use torque sensing.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
No. It is a fixed value in other modes. Like alwasy 200% the torque you input.
But it is not a fixed value in this mode.
The multiplier/gain factor may be fixed, but the assistance level (or power from the motor) is obviously not a fixed value as it varies with rider input even with the old existing modes.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
True! It also depends on cadence and speed.
Interesting. I actually think you are correct, however many here don't seem to agree, claiming that the assistance given by the motor is a simple multiplication factor of rider watts * gain factor, where the gain factor is a simple percentage set by the mode - eco, turbo=300% etc etc.
??

• Agree
Reactions: Fish2

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
From what I have read on the bosch site, and from experience, I would say it depends on all three parameters.
If that is true, if someone wants to work out how much rider assistance is needed to get a Bosch/Yamaha driven bike up a certain gradient, then doing a simple calculation based only on the percentage assist level and ignoring cadence and speed, could very well end up with an erroneous answer.

Which would explain the discrepancy we seem to often get here when someone asks about what bike/power is needed to climb steep hills. One bunch of people will do some maths and show that a Bosch/Yamaha rider needs to still put in a considerable (often unachievable!) amount of effort, while many people who actually own and ride the bikes basically say that if you stick it in max assist, then the bike can basically climb almost anything and if you keep the speed down, very little rider input is required, which doesn't seem to match up with the maths calcs.

It would be good to actually get to the bottom of this, as the question of hill climbing assistance is pretty fundamental to making the right choice when buying an e-bike!

Reactions: Eckythump

Related Articles

Advertisers