Bosch - New eMtb mode

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I'm now riding a Riese & Muller Supercharger Rohloff and I have found that in Turbo you have to drop several gears to get the full assist. Once you do it's great.

Jim
Do you think that Turbo only kicks in when the cranks are spun above a certain RPM? By dropping several gears your cadence is likely to increase and perhaps once a preset level of RPM is achieved then Turbo mode will engage.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
My brother has emtb mode. He has been in touch with shop to have it removed. He prefers the sport/turbo modes for climbing. He goes through too much battery with emtb. After a ride He can be on 20% whilst i still have 40%. Weight and cycling ability aside, We think it should be about a 10% difference. The extra 10% We put down to emtb tripping into turbo too often.
I tend to put Mine in Normal, and leave it there.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Tried mine today up a short sharp steep hill and stayed in a higher gear than normal so had to pedal hard at low cadence and turbo came in straight away and switching up to turbo made no difference. I am unable to maintain that level of effort for long so for long climbs I switch to turbo.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Do you think that Turbo only kicks in when the cranks are spun above a certain RPM? By dropping several gears your cadence is likely to increase and perhaps once a preset level of RPM is achieved then Turbo mode will engage.
That's certainly possible - I hadn't tried to analyse it, being technically challenged. I only noticed it when riding the bike up a hill to my home at the end of a 25 mile ride. To make life easier I switched to Turbo but noticed that the indicated assistance level was only about 50%. As soon as I dropped 2 (or maybe 3) gears the assistance went to 100% and was noticeable (and welcome).

Jim

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Perhaps you are not pedalling hard enough . I find it really needs hard pedaling to engage turbo in emtb.
I bought a new bike today and you are right. You need to put in a fair amount of effort to get turbo assist level when in emtb mode. I have to admit I found it much easier to just switch to turbo mode when I came across a really steep hill.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Me too. I call it tired old man on a steep hill mode..
I bought a new bike today and you are right. You need to put in a fair amount of effort to get turbo assist level when in emtb mode. I have to admit I found it much easier to just switch to turbo mode when I came across a really steep hill.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike has turbo and off :D

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
my bike has turbo and off :D
I can understand why, it is very tempting to just leave it in turbo all the time. I do however want to use the bike to try and regain some of the fitness I once had, and so I probably do need to use some of the other modes too.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you spin that thing up to 120rpm and fit a dongle with the right gearing you will hit 35mph and get the best work out you ever had.

if you crash its going to fkn hurt tho ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm pretty sure that I remember the Bosch guy telling me that an update to MTB mode is a one way street, i.e. it can't be rolled back. Maybe my memory is playing tricks though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I'm pretty sure that I remember the Bosch guy telling me that an update to MTB mode is a one way street, i.e. it can't be rolled back. Maybe my memory is playing tricks though.
dealers can remove it and go back to the old firmware, if you have a nyon display it can be tuned a bit.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
There is reason they call it eMTB mode, really designed for flowing uphill single MTB tracks, especially ones lots switchbacks. Saves lot gear and assist level changing especially on tracks where Turbo is much.
Bosch termed the phase Uphill Flow and eMTB mode really helps to deliver it.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I think I would rather have mine reverted back to normal. I'd rather be in control of the assistance level that I want, rather than letting the bike decide. Battery power savings aren't crucial for me.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Related Articles

Advertisers