Bosch Performance CX motor lost program!!!

Steven Todd

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2018
I have 2 e-MTBs, one is a Modraker Vantage and the other is a Lapierre Overvolt. I use these extensovely as I have heart failure. Anyway, the Mondy has been through 3 motors under warranty, all three for "motor lost programming". The warranty only has a couple of months to go whic is a worry. The Lapierre is a 2016 and bought second hand. The warranty had just expired. The Lapierre has not failed and the local dealer has now said that the motor has most "lost its programming". However, the bike works intermittently so Ifind it hard to believe that its lost its programming. The bearings are also making a serious noise. I have been informed that Bosch will not overhaul this motor but will sell me a new one for £500. Does anyone know of anyone who does post warranty repairs. If this was another product such as a car there would be an uproar.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I don’t understand the lost programming
Has something been done to do this or did it just happen ?

How many miles are on the bikes ?
Just being nosey really

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
https://www.performancelinebearings.com

Can sell you replacement bearings and fit them if you want.

Lost programming is new one on me, never see on forums. To happen 3 times on 3 different motors is bit strange.

While these guys only deal in bearing replacements they maybe able to give you 2nd option on Lost Programming issue.

Reactions: Steven Todd

Andy Elliott

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 14, 2017
UK
I had to get my bearing replaced. Sand and gunk had completely destroyed it.
My local shop would only send it to be replaced by Bosch.
I got it done at www.e-bikeshop.co.uk in Farnham. Can't remember the exact cost but a lot cheaper than a replacement motor. The new bearing also came with a new dust cap which should prevent gunk getting in in the future.

As for the lost programming...I've never seen or heard that either. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Steven Todd

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2018
Thanks for the replies. The main symptom of lost programming seems to be that when the power is switched on the 0 kph bit on the LCD does not come up. Not so sure that my Lapeirre has lost its programming though as it is an intermittent issue. But Bosch are not being helpful to my local dealer. The dealer is new to this so they don't have the experience either. And none of the other local shops have much experience with these kinds of issues either. The Mondy went the same way all three times. These bikes are ridden hard in the SW Scotland mainly at Ae, Mabie and Dalbeattie but that's what they are built for so I'm not expecting these kind of issues. The Lapierre needs bearings for sure. As an aside, one of my friends Mondy ebike also had the same fault and had to have its motor replaced. Very surprised no-one is aware of this issue. The Mondy has done about 1900miles and the Lapierre maybe 1500.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sounds more like a connection problem between the display and the controller in the motor.

it could be a short on the board from water getting in there or its had a whack some how like dropping a lap top on the floor but it could have also got to hot and desolderd a joint some where or just was a poor connection in the first place.

you can get the bearings fixed but if the board still has problems there is no way to buy a new one atm so warranty is the only option.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Most of the problems I am seeing on here with regards to the motor all have a common theme.

I'm not trying to blame anyone or put a downer on our fantastic eBikes, as I too have a Cube with the Bosch motor, but a couple of quotes if I may,

" These bikes are ridden hard" and "I had to get my bearing replaced. Sand and gunk had completely destroyed it."

I have said this many times on here before but the motors on eBikes, are NOT waterproof. The specifications describe them, at best, as "splash proof"

I know we pay upwards of £3000 for an eBike and expect it to be used like a non eBike would, but the simple truth is that if you throw all the muck and water at an eBike like we do with a non eBike, the motor is right in the firing line, and it WILL eventually fail.

I ride conservatively through mud and water just for this reason, and I recently stripped my bike down to the bones, the motor was clean dry and in perfect order 1500 miles and 18 months after buying it.

I know, £3000 for bike you cant throw about like you should, but it's an expensive lesson when it does go wrong.

I'm not implying this is the reason yours has failed, you may just be unlucky, but water, sand, mud and the like do not mix well with an electric motor, and look where it's placed.

Just my tuppence worth, nothing implied.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks for the replies. The main symptom of lost programming seems to be that when the power is switched on the 0 kph bit on the LCD does not come up. ....
....Very surprised no-one is aware of this issue.
That's because what you are describing happens when there is a problem with the main battery. Either the Battery is faulty or its a connection problem with it. And this is nothing to do with the 'Motor losing its programming' !!

Remember the Bosch head unit/control display has its own small battery in it, so it will power up even if there is no 36v supply from the main bike battery, but what will happen is that it won't show a speed on the display.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Try turning bike on by using battery power button, see what happens.

If display or its wiring, switch to purion display may help fix it.

NB I had similar issues when my bike was new, came right after a week or two. May have been Intuvia connector.

mucksmuff

Mar 27, 2018
UK
Hi Steven i'm on my 3rd motor now and was worried like you as warranty will run out soon on speaking to my dealer he informs me that bosch have/are introducing a rolling warranty, so any new bosch products will have warranty renewed :) great news.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi Steven i'm on my 3rd motor now and was worried like you as warranty will run out soon on speaking to my dealer he informs me that bosch have/are introducing a rolling warranty, so any new bosch products will have warranty renewed :) great news.
That’s on a bought replacement obviously, how much warranty is on a new /Bosch replacement over 12months or standard 12 ?

mucksmuff

Mar 27, 2018
UK
That’s on a bought replacement obviously, how much warranty is on a new /Bosch replacement over 12months or standard 12 ?
Hi that's on original purchase of bike, 2 years for all bosch equipment on bike not a bought replacement.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi that's on original purchase of bike, 2 years for all bosch equipment on bike not a bought replacement.
But that’s always been
2 yr on original bike Bosch parts from new
Surely there is warranty on a bought unit after the 2 yrs are up from original purchase
I didn’t understand your rolling warranty comment

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Try turning bike on by using battery power button, see what happens.

If display or its wiring, switch to purion display may help fix it.

NB I had similar issues when my bike was new, came right after a week or two. May have been Intuvia connector.
Done bit more testing.
Battery out of bike. Pressing battery button turns battery LEDs on for 5sec.
In bike with Intuvia removed, LEDs come on for 3sec, so I assume it can see motor otherwise would be 5sec.
Plug Intuvia in while turned ON and battery turns ON and speed is displayed.

Steven Todd

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2018
As I have 2 ebikes. I decided to take the suspect Motor from the Lapierre and fit it to my Mondraker which was functioning perfectly. The suspect motor was fine and worked perfectly except for the noisy bearings. I then did a bit of searching on the net and found a comment on one of the suppliers sites. It said if the 0.0kph does not appear withing a few seconds then the connection to the motor from the Intuvia has not been established. This was backed up by a friend who said he had the same problem and he had to replace the Intuvia mount. I've ordered one from Germany so here's hoping that cures the issue.

Related Articles

Advertisers