Bosch system and reduced range???

Gordon Jackson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 22, 2017
Shropshire
Good evening Ladies and Gents.
I wonder if anyone can put my mind at rest here? I've just indulged in a Cube reaction Pro 400 and took it out properly last weekend.

At the shop they showed my how to use the system, It's a Bosch cx with a 400 Battery pack. When they ran through its display, it suggested over 100 miles on 'eco' mode and I think it was about 34 in 'Turbo Mode'
That quickly dropped to about half that estimate and despite a couple of re-charges and more outings doesn't seem to have come back up. I wondered if this is because of me! (I am around 19stone!) but I have read articles all over the internet and there doesn't appear to anything about the system adjusting itself accordingly? Have I got a faulty battery or charger perhaps or am I expecting too much?
I'd love to hear other peoples (preferably the larger types!) experience about actual ranges of these bikes?
Many Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Gordon

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Take the readings on offer with a big pinch of salt and expect 30 -50 miles of range.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's because of you. For every electric bike, the range depends on the rider's weight, how hard he/she pedals and how many/how steep the hills are. Bosch can't know that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is nothing wrong with it as it trys to guess the range based on the last 30 mins of a ride.

so if the last 30 mins was a up hill climb and then you fully charged the batt then the range will be alot lower.

Gordon Jackson

Feb 22, 2017
Shropshire
Ah, I thought it was odd as I had only used one-two bars (of the five) on the battery yet the range had reduced by about 50-60%. My thought was to go for a long ride and just keep going till it dies and use that distance as a personal range guide?

Gordon Jackson

Feb 22, 2017
Shropshire
there is nothing wrong with it as it trys to guess the range based on the last 30 mins of a ride.

so if the last 30 mins was a up hill climb and then you fully charged the batt then the range will be alot lower.
On that basis, will it come back up if I go on another (less strenuous) route?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0451.JPG DSC_0452.JPG

On that basis, will it come back up if I go on another (less strenuous) route?

yes ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you are 19 stone I would be surprised if you can get 50 miles.. but don't worry, if you keep at it you won't be 19 stone for much longer.
I would bank on 30 to 40 miles and anything more will be a bonus.
I treat the bosch display like a woman.
Says one thing but means another..

Gordon Jackson

Feb 22, 2017
Shropshire
It's because of you. For every electric bike, the range depends on the rider's weight, how hard he/she pedals and how many/how steep the hills are. Bosch can't know that.
Thank you, I did wonder if the system 'learned' as it went along. I guess if I put more work in and choose a more gentle route the range will adjust itself back up in time?
Thanks for the reply

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just ride it until it is flat in what mode you want to use then you will get a idea of the range you can get.

Gordon Jackson

Feb 22, 2017
Shropshire
If you are 19 stone I would be surprised if you can get 50 miles.. but don't worry, if you keep at it you won't be 19 stone for much longer.
I would bank on 30 to 40 miles and anything more will be a bonus.
I treat the bosch display like a woman.
Says one thing but means another..
That's got to be the best reply I've ever read on a forum! It made me chuckle!! Thank you!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I suggest that you try to avoid flattening the battery, just because it will be hard work getting home,
Use the 5 bars of the battery gauge to gauge your usage, noting how far each bar gets you to estimate how for you'll be able to get without running out of power. It could be as low as 15 miles.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

Gordon Jackson

Feb 22, 2017
Shropshire
I suggest that you try to avoid flattening the battery, just because it will be hard work getting home,
Use the 5 bars of the battery gauge to gauge your usage, noting how far each bar gets you to estimate how for you'll be able to get without running out of power. It could be as low as 15 miles.
Thanks for that, I will give it a test at the weekend, I thought riding abut 24 miles in Turbo Mode was too good to be true!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That's got to be the best reply I've ever read on a forum! It made me chuckle!! Thank you!
Just being sensible really without being rude. Unless you are a rugby player and an athletically fit 19 stone then I am sure your weight will drop and your overall output will increase giving you a bit more range.. plus it's winter and batteries don't perform at the it best in the cold..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you might get 24 miles on the flat with no hills just depends how much effort you put in.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Gordon Jackson

Feb 22, 2017
Shropshire
Just being sensible really without being rude. Unless you are a rugby player and an athletically fit 19 stone then I am sure your weight will drop and your overall output will increase giving you a bit more range.. plus it's winter and batteries don't perform at the it best in the cold..
LOl, you're not being rude at all, I'm reasonably fit but definitely overweight which is the reason for getting the bike! I tend to get out, put in the effort and lose about 3 stone this year if I can. Thanks for the encouragement! Best Regards

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
LOl, you're not being rude at all, I'm reasonably fit but definitely overweight which is the reason for getting the bike! I tend to get out, put in the effort and lose about 3 stone this year if I can. Thanks for the encouragement! Best Regards
Good luck with that.
The bonus of ebike excersizing is its bloody good fun as well .
Do you know anyone else with one? It helps if you have company...

Related Articles

Advertisers