Brake pads

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hi
Can anyone give me some good recommendations for decent pads, my brakes are shimano deore
The cheap ones are ok if it's dry but when it's wet they aren't a lot of cop, brake fade and make a lot of noise

Steve

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Deore covers a wide range of brakes, specific brake/calliper series number used may help I denitrifying pads.
I find resin/organic give the most bite, in the wet I find braking efficiency it always a bit less but never less still good.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I use resin/organic pads all year round, as they work very well for my use, and just tend to buy whatever is on special offer at the time. Often switching between cheapo Shimano pads, never the vented version, Clarks, or EBC. I replace quite frequently due to using them in wet muddy conditions, but it isn't something that I'm overly concerned about.

This is a good article on brake pads, which clearly I am doing the opposite of, but doing so, works for me. :) https://www.pinkbike.com/news/brake-pad-information-2009.html

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh and E-Wheels

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I tried sintered and wasn't pleased with them, I found bite was poor and stopping power not very good. I thought it was my rotors so checked for resin only marked on them but found no etching, so tried a new rotor which was no better.
Went back to my cheapy resin pads and hey presto mega stopping again and no squeaking with them either. I tend to buy my B01S pads for a little over a £1 a pair and usually buy in 6 or 10 pair buys.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i use sintered pads as otherwise they dont last 5 mins on my bike but i always buy the oem pads for them even tho there 2x the price.

tho i have some of these to try when there worn out.
DSC_0010.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah but i got them more for keeping them cool than anything else not tried them yet so cant say if there any good or not.

was on offer so only was a few quid more than the avid ones.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I think that I'll still stay away from those as well.

I'm not convinced that the extra pad material on those shown in the link is even such a good idea. I wonder what the fluid reduction rate is when the pad materials extends past what would have otherwise been the manufacturers recommended limit of the backing material, and even the caliper piston travel.
If an end user doesn't have a maintenance schedule for checking fluid levels, and the system is low to begin with, I foresee a potential recipe for disaster, or at the very least, people topping up fluid levels when they shouldn't be.

Last edited:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I tend to buy my B01S pads for a little over a £1 a pair and usually buy in 6 or 10 pair buys.
Nealh, where do get them from at that price? I think I will bulk buy too.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Perhaps not the best person to coment on brakes but among other issues, I struggle with brake fade on some of the steep hills around here., porbably cos I go too fast and then do big stops and the heat makes the levers go limp and pull to the bars until they cool down. Cured this with these.. When the pistons are not sticking they work really good. I recently had one fall apart but forcing a screwdriver between them to push the seized piston back likely had something to do with that.
Gorilla Pads.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-Sintered-Mechanical-Hydraulic-compatible/dp/B01GU7L03C/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0290.JPG
they dont like fire lol ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think that I'll still stay away from those as well.

I'm not convinced that the extra pad material on those shown in the link is even such a good idea. I wonder what the fluid reduction rate is when the pad materials extends past what would have otherwise been the manufacturers recommended limit of the backing material, and even the caliper piston travel.
If an end user doesn't have a maintenance schedule for checking fluid levels, and the system is low to begin with, I foresee a potential recipe for disaster, or at the very least, people topping up fluid levels when they shouldn't be.

I can testify to lack of maintenance.. my pads got low and as I don't ever check them I suddenly lost my front brake when the fluid level got too low. I wrongly assumed they would make a nasty metal on metal noise when they needed replacing...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nealh, where do get them from at that price? I think I will bulk buy too.

It was an ebay listing from China, I will post a link if I find it.

Reactions: awol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0046.JPG DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0048.JPG

that looks like the same thickness of brake pad to me just thinner back plate for the heat sink.

i think ill add some heat sink paste off a cpu between the two as should give even better heat dissipation from the 2 surfaces ;)

bet you lot never thought of that did you :D

• Agree
Reactions: argoose

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just checking pads on the giant. 2300 miles .. and they are all but gone. They are the same as on mtb but with the cooling find like sw showed.. do the fins do anything cooling wise? I have pads in stock but without the fins so used them instead.. need to buy some more so which is best?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It was an ebay listing from China, I will post a link if I find it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-Resin-Disc-Brake-Pads-fits-Shimano-DEORE-M446-M486-M515-M525-M495-TEKTRO/131611554489?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These pads fit a multitude of callipers which use this generic BS01 style and work out at £1.49 a pair. Haven't tried them out yet as still using older stock.
Unlike a lot of pads that just turn up in small placcy bag these came packaged individual as a pair on a 4" x 3" card and a plastic covering, springs came in a separate bag & no split pins.

• Informative
Reactions: awol

Related Articles

Advertisers