Brakes acting up yet again.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This has been an on and off problem all the time I have had this bike..
Today my rear brake is totally ineffective . I can pull the lever as hard as I can and all I get is groaning and it barely slows me on the flat but I go down a steep hill and it's fixed it in 20 seconds and is fine from then on.
So I take it off and clean it. Check the pads and both piston are moving. No oil about anywhere, so refit and the video shows what I get when I apply enough pressure to slow the bike.
Brakes are a mechanical thing so there must be a reason for this..
I would fit a new one but it's internal cabling so is beyond my skills (bleeding)
After this cleaning the brake now has little effect but will be ok after a fast downhill stop which is obviously the heat...
Only rear. Never a problem with the front...
So it must be me so what am I doing wrong?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could try a new rotor as thats easy to remove and if it is still the same then if you cant do it a new caliper

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Is the cable moving free in the liner
How does it feel
Also are you still on the first half of your calliper lever pull or have you gone past the 90degrees
Have you a side on photo showing lever under pressure

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Yes I did.. they are all internally routed so I can't just buy a pre bled brake.. which is my preferred option..
Shimano brakes are a doddle to bleed
You just shringe them from the calliper till it comes out of the lever
:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
heat warps disc rotors its why i have t2 parts ones

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0290.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
heat also destroys the pads and thus no brakes at all but first thing you need to do is get the brakes bleed and go from there.

you can take of the rotor a place it on a flat surface to see if it has a warp in it as you said when it gets hot it stops doing it.

are all the rotor bolts tight ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i was just about to say try a mobile mechanic lol

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Could it be that you've lost a load of fluid at some point in time and have a big airlock in the tubing?
Like in a car with the same problem, first pump on the brake pedal - no braking just pressuring the air, moments later they work when a bit of fluid gets to the pads pistons.
You may have fluid at either end of the tubing with air in the middle?
As already suggested, give it a good bleed first.

Related Articles

Advertisers