Braking motor cut

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, if you have strong enough brakes (eg hydraulic) to overcome the motor if necessary and no throttle.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
yes, if you have strong enough brakes (eg hydraulic) to overcome the motor if necessary and no throttle.
Well, i consider this to be a very serious safety issue. If you own a bike with these switches fitted you get used to it. You then buy a second bike without them fitted. At times, you have to think, while braking, why is the motor still going. Oh,i’m still turning the pedals or i’ve got my thumb on the throttle. At a road junction i was starting to rev up and nearly got wiped out.
P.S And motors don’t stop immediately the pedals stop turning.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
take a look at the controller, it should have a connector for brake switches.
Change the brake levers for sensored ones.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
My Carrera has hydraulics with no sensors. I got used to it, you do have to keep a handful of brake though in case you get a boost if you like to trackstand. Now I've changed the controller I'm considering some in line sensors for extra safety, mainly in case it malfunctions as that's the only time I would see it being dangerous to me

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Of course, i do understand that they do leave off as much of the electrics as possible so that they can then claim their bikes to be rainproof.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Currently I am having trouble with the electric brakes on my car. I also have a campervan with bog standard normal handbrake.
Changing between the two can cause problems.
I wish manufacturers would stop being idiotically innovative.
Imagine a piano or computer typing keyboard designed by Vauxhall!

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
take a look at the controller, it should have a connector for brake switches.
Change the brake levers for sensored ones.
The bike dealer sells the brake sensors in their online shop. They tell me that i don’t need them. They say the motor stops when i apply the brakes without them having to be fitted. It doesn’t seem that way to me. How would it work? It’s a Bafang motor fitted into the back wheel.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The bike dealer sells the brake sensors in their online shop. They tell me that i don’t need them. They say the motor stops when i apply the brakes without them having to be fitted. It doesn’t seem that way to me. How would it work? It’s a Bafang motor fitted into the back wheel.
Hmmm, what exact kit do you have please ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not required on torque sensor bikes, Bosch, Yamaha etc do not fit them.
they use the torque sensor, you automatically stop pushing on the pedals when you brake. Bikes with cadence sensor don't sense pedal pressure, so they need another signal.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They say the motor stops when i apply the brakes without them having to be fitted.
they are incorrect. The cadence sensor can only stop the motor when you stop pedaling. That can be a second or two after you brake.

• Agree
Reactions: Marwood Hill

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
More to the point
Why is anyone pedalling while braking?

(Genuine question)

As for thumb throttles try letting it go

Do people having problems with this drive cars or ride motor bikes if so how do you manage :)

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
More to the point
Why is anyone pedalling while braking?

(Genuine question)

As for thumb throttles try letting it go

Do people having problems with this drive cars or ride motor bikes if so how do you manage :)
Simples ! Approaching a junction, you need to be in the right gear to get away from the junction, so you have to peddle to change gear - but you need to come to a stop. So pull on brake whilst changing gear.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Simples ! Approaching a junction, you need to be in the right gear to get away from the junction, so you have to peddle to change gear - but you need to come to a stop. So pull on brake whilst changing gear.
No not really
You change down before you get there as you do with any bike
Maybe I just ride a bike differently

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No not really
You change down before you get there as you do with any bike
Maybe I just ride a bike differently
the difference is between someone pedaling more slowly because he hits a hill and someone reducing his speed.
The torque sensor can tell but the cadence sensor can't, or at least does not have the programming to detect the difference.
There is a new cadence driven controller with a 6-axis gyro chip that supposedly detects changes of speed and gradient and 'boosts' the power automatically to maintain speed.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
the difference is between someone pedaling more slowly because he hits a hill and someone reducing his speed.
The torque sensor can tell but the cadence sensor can't, or at least does not have the programming to detect the difference.
There is a new cadence driven controller with a 6-axis gyro chip that supposedly detects changes of speed and gradient and 'boosts' the power automatically to maintain speed.
I take it then the motor is either on or off (flat out) with no power increase or decrease

So it seems to me this is the usual this will do cheap job instead of doing it properly in the first place
Or at least that’s how I see it from your explanation
I could have misunderstood your explanation thou :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I take it then the motor is either on or off (flat out) with no power increase or decrease

So it seems to me this is the usual this will do cheap job instead of doing it properly in the first place
Or at least that’s how I see it from your explanation
I could have misunderstood your explanation thou :)
sorry, I ramble on technical bits like a warm blanket..
Let's say you want to reduce speed by relaxing your pedaling effort and braking lightly, for example, while performing a tight turn. You may want to control the speed by varying the pressure on the brakes.
It's no problem for the bikes with torque sensor, which senses correctly your lower pedal pressure and reduces the power immediately or even stops the assistance. Bikes with cadence sensor does not detect that, hence you need the brake sensors.
The new controller with gyroscope can detect immediately the slowing down and no gradient change, thus does not need brake sensors.

• Informative
Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
So what they should have is torque sensors or the new gyroscope
They have introduced the switches as a cheap option
Thanks for the explanation much appreciated:)

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
Yes I just converted my MTB to battery and the kit I bought did not have brake levers suitable for hydraulic brakes. So I bought a couple of sensors for the levers I have,they took a few days to arrive ....The bike was fine without them using the PAS as the safety, as there is very little traffic in the Cretan hills ...However now I have fitted a sensor on the rear brake lever and it is reassuring to feel the power cut as I gently touch the lever ...so worth doing

• Agree