Brand new to ebiking, advice please

DinahGO

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 1, 2017
Nottingham
Hi. I live in the Midlands with hills in all directions. I used to enjoy biking but age and arthritis put a stop to that. Suddenly had a brainwave - why not an electric bike?
So here I am. Looking for first ever ebike and needing every bit of info I can glean.
So, am excited at prospect but a bit daunted as there seem so many out there. I won't be commuting as took much baggage to carry to & fro but want a bike I can enjoy and return to some level of fitness with. Like the look of the Kensington but yet to trial. Hope to try various models this weekend.

Reactions: Sarabee

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The test rides are the thing.
That will let you know what works for you.
The bigger the battery the better.
They are all called 250watt but all are more powerful.
The higher power it is the shorter the range.
15 mph makes you quicker than any normal cyclist.
Enjoy, you should love it.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi. I live in the Midlands with hills in all directions. I used to enjoy biking but age and arthritis put a stop to that. Suddenly had a brainwave - why not an electric bike?
So here I am. Looking for first ever ebike and needing every bit of info I can glean.
So, am excited at prospect but a bit daunted as there seem so many out there. I won't be commuting as took much baggage to carry to & fro but want a bike I can enjoy and return to some level of fitness with. Like the look of the Kensington but yet to trial. Hope to try various models this weekend.
You're dead right to test ride Dinah, but looks are important too. You've got to love your bike!
Why not make a day off it. You can hire electric bikes on the Tissington trail in the south Peak District at Ashbourne or Parsley Hay.

DinahGO

Mar 1, 2017
Nottingham
The test rides are the thing.
That will let you know what works for you.
The bigger the battery the better.
They are all called 250watt but all are more powerful.
The higher power it is the shorter the range.
15 mph makes you quicker than any normal cyclist.
Enjoy, you should love it.

Many thanks. Advice certainly needed

D

Deleted member 4366

Riding an electric bike around a car park is OK for checking basic comfort (up to a point), but you need to test it up some typical hills. That'll give you a good idea about the power characteristics. Some bikes require you to put in a fair amount of power to get up steep hills, which can leave you stranded half-way up when you run out of steam, others give their power regardless of your effort. You only see the difference on the hills.

Beware of people's recommendations, they always do it from their own point of reference, not yours.

DinahGO

Mar 1, 2017
Nottingham
You're dead right to test ride Dinah, but looks are important too. You've got to love your bike!
Why not make a day off it. You can hire electric bikes on the Tissington trail in the south Peak District at Ashbourne or Parsley Hay.
Thanks. Trying to prevent myself careering into it & not choosing carefully. Looking forward to riding the trail, didn't realise I could hire bikes there

DinahGO

Mar 1, 2017
Nottingham
Riding an electric bike around a car park is OK for checking basic comfort (up to a point), but you need to test it up some typical hills. That'll give you a good idea about the power characteristics. Some bikes require you to put in a fair amount of power to get up steep hills, which can leave you stranded half-way up when you run out of steam, others give their power regardless of your effort. You only see the difference on the hills.

Beware of people's recommendations, they always do it from their own point of reference, not yours.

Thank you. Wondering how the shops that sell these bikes actually allow you to trial out on a hill? Yes, have noticed people being very passionate about their own choice. It's a minefield!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thank you. Wondering how the shops that sell these bikes actually allow you to trial out on a hill? Yes, have noticed people being very passionate about their own choice. It's a minefield!
Most shops will allow at least a trip around a car park. If you can find a shop in a hilly area it shouldn't be any problem to go out for longer ride to test on a hill.

You may need to leave a deposit. In our own shops in the Peaks we sometimes ask for a lock of hair to stitch into our special doll...

Parsley Hay is run by the National Park and they are a little stricter on deposits. You may also have to book - 01298 84493

• :D
Reactions: mw1 and flecc

DinahGO

Mar 1, 2017
Nottingham
Most shops will allow at least a trip around a car park. If you can find a shop in a hilly area it shouldn't be any problem to go out for longer ride to test on a hill.

You may need to leave a deposit. In our own shops in the Peaks we sometimes ask for a lock of hair to stitch into our special doll...

Parsley Hay is run by the National Park and they are a little stricter on deposits. You may also have to book - 01298 84493
Hahaha. I have some unused candles here - of any use to you??

Hahaha. I have some unused candles here, is the wax of any use to you?? Thanks for your reply. Shame New Mills is such a trek from here or I'd visit & make a fool of myself re my total my of fitness!

Reactions: JuicyBike

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Where exactly are you? Trikes and Bikes in Sutton Coldfield might be more convenient for you, have a range of brands and allow longer test rides.

DinahGO

Mar 1, 2017
Nottingham
Where exactly are you? Trikes and Bikes in Sutton Coldfield might be more convenient for you, have a range of brands and allow longer test rides.
I'm between Nottingham & Derby. Have 3 outlets quite near. If I find trial times are too short I will look into Sutton Coldfield. Thanks

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Welcome to the forum Dinah

I am also hampered by old age and arthritis! I bought my first ebike on Saturday (well it was bought for me) and I absolutely love it.

It's a fairly basic step through, nice looking, sturdy steed from a local company so I could have a good try out before buying. I'm not going up hill and down dale here as it's fairly flat but on the odd occasion I've needed extra power, it's delivered.

I can't walk miles anymore but this bike is great for getting out in the fresh air and putting a smile on my face. I generally only ride on the first assist level but it makes a real difference and helps to build muscle to help my knee. Have fun this weekend trying different models, I think you will be smitten!

Reactions: mw1 and JimRides

DinahGO

Mar 1, 2017
Nottingham

I am also hampered by old age and arthritis! I bought my first ebike on Saturday (well it was bought for me) and I absolutely love it.

It's a fairly basic step through, nice looking, sturdy steed from a local company so I could have a good try out before buying. I'm not going up hill and down dale here as it's fairly flat but on the odd occasion I've needed extra power, it's delivered.

I can't walk miles anymore but this bike is great for getting out in the fresh air and putting a smile on my face. I generally only ride on the first assist level but it makes a real difference and helps to build muscle to help my knee. Have fun this weekend trying different models, I think you will

I can't walk miles anymore but this bike is great for getting out in the fresh air and putting a smile on my face. I generally only ride on the first assist level but it makes a real difference and helps to build muscle to help my knee. Have fun this weekend trying different models, I think you will be smitten!

What a lovely letter to wake up to. Many thanks for the encouragement. Finding it a tad daunting, so many models & quite an outlay. Yes, tomorrow is trial day. So this time next year I'll be slim, fit & 20 years younger??

D

Deleted member 4366

http://freegoelectricbikes.com/electric-bikes/freego-martin-city/
Bafang Max Drive so you have all the gears on the back for the big hills, step through or crossbar version. Think there is dealer in Leicester.
It's a torque sensor bike, so not suitable for everyone, especially someone with arthritis.

The Volt Kensington is not a bad bike, though I think it's a little overpriced.

I would like to ask how much you weigh because some bikes are more suitable for heavy riders, but let's just say that if you're less than 75kg, just about any one will have enough power for normal riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sarabee

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
On the Wisper Torque, there is an F setting which turns off the torque sensor and relies on cadence sensor alone. Use the torque setting to get going then change to F setting, or simply twist the throttle, this will also bypass the torque settings.

All the best, David