Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Walk away without a deal. ;)
you mean like can't pay won't pay?
and never again getting into a new relationship?

Brexiters will have a hard time finding a country that survives on WTO regime alone without being member of one or more blocs.
Maybe Trump's USA will be one but I reckon he'd be gone before that happens.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I think the will to leave would dissolve.
You’ve said this before, soon after the referendum and at that time I didn’t think it would happen. Now I think you are correct. I sense that people aren’t as emotional about leaving or remaining and if nothing else, the leaving process is exposing just how useless and weak the government is. I think people have lost faith and I would expect more people to choose remain if asked to decide again today.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You’ve said this before, soon after the referendum and at that time I didn’t think it would happen. Now I think you are correct. I sense that people aren’t as emotional about leaving or remaining and if nothing else, the leaving process is exposing just how useless and weak the government is. I think people have lost faith and I would expect more people to choose remain if asked to decide again today.
No one is bothering to offer them any hope that things will work out to their advantage.
I said originally that the main reason people voted for brexit was as a protest at being ignored.
And now the government is proving they really haven't taken the lesson, and in fact are so busy clowning around they have forgotten what the public want, worse, they neither care or know what to do.
They can't be trusted.
Look how the maybot changes her mind all the time.
Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I don't know. We have an ambivalent attitude toward the EU for a long time.
Yesterday, we were discussing about sending batteries by couriers who are changing their terms to restrict Lithium batteries to 300WH, which is smaller than our least capacity batteries. We'd need additional insurance to cover batteries while transiting in their warehouses regardless of the circumstances. The EU directive about transport of dangerous goods by roads (including Lithium batteries, DG9) run at over 1,200 pages. There is clearly a need for a more practical/flexible approach than the current arrangement where UK government tends to stick to the letter.
I didn’t realise just how lethal these Lithium batteries were until “the blast” from a cordless drill battery (typically 36Wh) closed a London tube station and injured a few passers by. Imagine the carnage and devastation an ebike battery could cause. A simple ebike battery could necessitate the re-writing of the A-Z Street atlas.

The “blast” in London was definitely caused by one of those cordless drill batteries. It certainly wasn’t an explosive device which didn’t detonate properly, because thanks to our competent government, London is very safe. I just wanted you all to know that. Remember this WAS a drill battery incident, no explosives were involved.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The “blast” in London. was definitely caused by one of those cordless drill batteries.
Those very close had some very superficial injuries, but the overreaction was ridiculous. The comment below gives some idea:

Manuel Cortes, general secretary of the TSSA transport worker union, said: “Our thoughts are with those caught up in this incident and their loved ones.

Goodness knows what he'd say if someone was hurt enough to need a stitch.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So the Maybot won with 16 votes.
Hmm! not only is that pretty marginal it's also an illusion that being willing to leave without an agreement worries the EU.

It simply means a change of plan for them
Rather more serious for us, even though few seem able to comprehend that.

All the ingredients needed to create a disaster, and far too few (and of substandard quality) to give even a faint hope of success

Reactions: robdon

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Those very close had some very superficial injuries, but the overreaction was ridiculous. The comment below gives some idea:

Manuel Cortes, general secretary of the TSSA transport worker union, said: “Our thoughts are with those caught up in this incident and their loved ones.

Goodness knows what he'd say if someone was hurt enough to need a stitch.
Will there be a candlelit vigil?

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Imagine the carnage and devastation an ebike battery could cause. A simple ebike battery could necessitate the re-writing of the A-Z Street atlas.
e-bike batteries are much safer than those used in the cordless drills or e-cigs. Each cell has anti-explosion device and thermal runaway protection.

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Thanks for the information. Does make one think though, 300 Wh limit against e-car's freedom to travel anywhere with thousands of watt hours.

Next year's Leaf is to have a 63,000 Wh battery, 210 times that limit.
When I was talking to various car salesmen (possibly not the world's soundest authority on, well, anything), there was a theme of all cars being electric when the new batteries start to arrive. You know, the ones that are about the size of an A4 sheet and a couple of inches thick. They'll have the capacity to do Tenby to Aberdeen and back - who'd want a one-way trip to Aberdeen? - at high speed without recharging. Or some possibly slightly inflated claim.

Where was I? O yes - what if something with that sort of energy density shorted and released it all in one burst? Could be spectacular.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and wheeler

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Where was I? O yes - what if something with that sort of energy density shorted and released it all in one burst? Could be spectacular.
Yes, could be fun. At present though it's just Tesla leading the way as usual, with spectacular fires. Others selling pure electric cars like Nissan, Renault, Mitsubishi, Peugeot, Citroen, VW and Ford haven't suffered them.

I've just posted about our electric bus fleet expanding in The Charging Post. They haven't been been bursting into flames so very safe, but our diesel ones have many times, here's just one in Kingston and here's another in Streatham.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
what if something with that sort of energy density shorted and released it all in one burst? Could be spectacular.
That depends on the chemistry but there are lots of safe cells.
I assure you, you can do something like this with modern Lithium ion batteries (no LIPO ones though).
I cut up one of the pouch cells myself to see, the 18650s are even safer. You can drive a nail through them and it smokes a lot but won't set fire to anything.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Are we coming across a tad miffed Mr. ding-dong ?? lol :D

It means the 10 DUP votes were crucial.

View attachment 25401

££££..Kerrrrrr-Ching....£££££

:cool:

It means the 10 DUP Votes were crucial?
She should have sent them home and saved our money as they made no difference

I'm delighted actually as every stupid thing they do simply put's them further into the hands of the EU
What comedy!
Only idiots would imagine we can use the threat of a "No Deal" as a bargaining chip?

This is what it amounts to

"Hit me again, and I'll Bleed all over you!"

If you bothered to read my previous posts I want Brexit to go ahead in all it's glory, so that people like you finally understand what's at stake.

And I wouldn't count on any money from London after Brexit, more likely you'll be part of Eire by then.

Ebay will be overflowing with bowler hats going cheap :D

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's very important that we recognise that Trump and his country are no friends of the UK. We get no favours from them yet they enjoy our assistance in the sense that we represent a large aircraft carrier available to them in the North Sea/East Atlantic.

Before this corrupt government sells off our NHS to American capitalist interests, with the promise of greater co-operation in trade matters, we should consider the following:

35654395_2089519241287465_5105812471004790784_o.jpg

Not here (yet!) but in the USA.

So, if you ever wondered.......

35543447_632585010433467_3030794795418124288_n.png

It's all about education:

35686839_2522550317970779_2294058112874708992_n.jpg

I have been trying to get exactly that message across ever since the ridiculous referendum result.

Tom

• Agree

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
.. and why not when your economy is subvented to the tune of 10 billion per annum by the other uk taxpayers..
.. and your economy presently is propped up by your masters in Brussels,,,

Oh, and i seem to remember the British taxpayer (ie N.I. taxes included) bailing you out to the tune of £3.2 bn not so long ago as well .... and not even a hint of a mere `thankyou` from yourselves??

btw any chance of a repayment soon??

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
.. and your economy presently is propped up by your masters in Brussels,,,

Oh, and i seem to remember the British taxpayer (ie N.I. taxes included) bailing you out to the tune of £3.2 bn not so long ago as well .... and not even a hint of a mere `thankyou` from yourselves??

btw any chance of a repayment soon??
The difference was that the money wasn't spent with the intention of damaging the UK, where wasting it on the DUP was.

All to prop up a rubbish Prime minister renting the dubious support of an insignifiant rabble with a handful of seats and loyalty for sale.

And as this weeks vote showed, she didn't need them after all!
Perhaps we should ask for the money back?
Any chance of a repayment soon?

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This comment from Tommie sums up the huge fallacy that Brexiteers have fallen for.
".. and your economy presently is propped up by your masters in Brussels,,,.. "
Let's question why.
Firstly we were more than equal partners in whatever came out of Brussels, and 97% of the time we got our own way.

They were never our "Masters" it was more the other way if anything.

And what have we achieved?
Now thanks to the misguided vote for Brexit.
Our economy was in fact propped up by the benefits of Membership of the EU and the single market and customs union.
Now it hangs in the balance waiting on their generosity.

We have placed ourselves on the outside begging to be allowed under some silly name to remain in the single market and customs union.
Why the need for a silly name?
In order to con the easily fooled Brexit Voters that they have had their "Victory for the Will of the people"
For if we fail we face ruin.

And no longer we are more than equal masters, (more a client state,)we will be having to abide by rules we have no control over and will effectively have brought about the situation of being

Ruled by our Masters in Brussels, and by demanding it too!

The EU must be relieved to have got rid of a disruptive element , all they are trying to do now is make it as cheap for themselves as possible.

So we imagine that we are going to be a "World Class Trading Nation" do we?
perhaps one should ask, since the Germans are clearly all of that, why do they remain in the EU instead of branching out on their own?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Our economy was in fact propped up by the benefits of Membership of the EU and the single market and customs union.
Now it hangs in the balance waiting on their generosity.
if brexiters think that the ROI needs the UK trade, then it follows that the UK needs the EU.

Advertisers