Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Could be combined into one referendum:

On the proposed deal to leave the EU:

There should be a referendum on whether to accept the new referendum deal:

Yes . . . . [ . . . ]

No. . . . . [ . . . ]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the result is we should have a referendum on acceptance, how would you vote?

Accept . . . . . [ . . . ]

Reject . . . . . . [ . . . ]
Of course, if you vote that there shouldn't be a referendum, then you are not allowed to vote on the referendum, surely? :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of course, if you vote that there shouldn't be a referendum, then you are not allowed to vote on the referendum, surely? :)
Of course, if the answer to the above question is negative, any choice entry made below that isn't recorded. That's easily done in a usual first stage count sort, all the initial No's to the first option go into a pile that's removed, the Yes's pile goes onto the lower section count held later.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Then she thought "straight bananas"
And whenever I hear that, I think of this:

A little old lady is on a train, buying a ticket from the train conductor, fumbling in a large bag for correct change. After 15 minutes the conductor becomes so enraged that he hits her on the head with the ticket-dispenser, and the poor old lady dies instantly. Not surprisingly, he is convicted and put on death row. His last wish is for a straight banana, they eventually manage to find one, which he devours. They strap him in the chair, flip the switch, and he just sits there, smiling.

According to tradition, this is considered a reprieve from God and he is freed. Somehow, he gets his old job back, and he is happily dispensing tickets when he sees a girl stick her gum on the back of a seat on the train. Enraged, he lunges out with the ticket dispenser, breaking the offender's neck and killing her.

Again, he is convicted and sent to death row. He again asks for a straight banana as his last wish and lo and behold, the electricity does not harm him. This time the executioner cleans the contacts, and makes him sit in a bucket of water, he tries everything - but the man won't die. Again, he is set free.

Amazingly he regains his job. It takes him 1 day to lose his temper and beat to death a young boy who starts to chew his train ticket.

He is returned to death row, again asks for and eats a straight banana, and survives the electrocution. At this point, the executioner can take no more - his professional pride has been hurt. Before setting him free again, he asks him his secret, "What is it with the straight bananas?"

"Oh, the bananas have nothing to do with it", replies the man. "I'm just a bad conductor."

Quite right - brexit really has nothing to do with straight bananas.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quite right - brexit really has nothing to do with straight bananas.
I'm not so sure, I thought Cameron had gone bananas in calling a referendum and the electorate definitely went bananas in voting for Brexit.

And the EU negotiators have been going bananas faced with the UK's unreasonable demands, while Nigel Farage has definitely gone bananas in the European Parliament with his speeches attacking the EU.

Seems to me it's all about bananas. :(

• :D
Reactions: oyster and Jimod

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I'm not so sure, I thought Cameron had gone bananas in calling a referendum and the electorate definitely went bananas in voting for Brexit.

And the EU negotiators have been going bananas faced with the UK's unreasonable demands, while Nigel Farage has definitely gone bananas in the European Parliament with his speeches attacking the EU.

Seems to me it's all about bananas. :(
Aye, and none of them are straight.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Seems to me it's all about bananas.
Some more than others:

Nearly $18m in cocaine found in boxes of bananas donated to Texas prison
The Texas Department of Criminal Justice said federal officials and US Customs and Border Protection are investigating

Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That's how the Telegraph gets their's from their latest comedian
And what has this clown to say in the Express?
"
‘Corbyn is biggest threat to freedom we face’ - Boris Johnson HITS OUT at Labour leader
JEREMY CORBYN is “the biggest threat to freedom that this country has faced for decades” because of his inability to “state the bleeding obvious and denounce evil”, Boris Johnson has railed."

The very man who is the cheif villain in the Brexit debacle because his ambition made him head the country into ruin, and once it had, he ran away.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Independent
News from planet Zog
"
Labour's new Brexit referendum would not offer option to remain in EU, says John McDonnell.

Oh Dear, someone is living in a alternative reality, what is the point of continuing to ignore the huge mass of the public who don't want Brexit at any price?

Lets have a No Deal Brexit and clean the fan afterwards

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In the Independent
News from planet Zog
"
Labour's new Brexit referendum would not offer option to remain in EU, says John McDonnell.

Oh Dear, someone is living in a alternative reality, what is the point of continuing to ignore the huge mass of the public who don't want Brexit at any price?

I assume their calculation is not to offer Labour up as a target for the right wing press on a new front, let the tories fight between themselves.
The tories plan B is the Canada plan. I wonder how long before the DUP pipes up and tells them where to go with that plan.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
In the Independent
News from planet Zog
"

I, ve been saying for months Labour are equally to blame for this debacle.
They could have got into power at last election had they campaigned on staying. Trouble is they want to leave more than May does.
And BTW how can you have a vote on deal offered if you turn deal down and still leave. Its deciding on taking what's offered or crashing out... Isn't that same as May.. They have no chance of getting in power.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I, ve been saying for months Labour are equally to blame for this debacle.
They could have got into power at last election had they campaigned on staying. Trouble is they want to leave more than May does.
And BTW how can you have a vote on deal offered if you turn deal down and still leave. Its deciding on taking what's offered or crashing out... Isn't that same as May.. They have no chance of getting in power.
As I've said many times before, just be patient and wait. There's over two and a half years to the next scheduled General Election and only when that occurs or an earlier one is announced will we know what Labour will do.

Meanwhile Labour continue to hedge their bets by avoiding establishing a position that could cause a loss of support. Woosh has allluded to similar in this post above.

Clearly what Labour will do is adopt the most opportune position then for the election, a very sensible tactic, leaving the tories unable to focus criticism effectively meanwhile.

• Agree
Reactions: daveboy and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And what has this clown to say in the Express?
"
‘Corbyn is biggest threat to freedom we face’ - Boris Johnson HITS OUT at Labour leader
JEREMY CORBYN is “the biggest threat to freedom that this country has faced for decades” because of his inability to “state the bleeding obvious and denounce evil”, Boris Johnson has railed."

The very man who is the cheif villain in the Brexit debacle because his ambition made him head the country into ruin, and once it had, he ran away.
The creature who is doing everything he can to remove MY freedoms as in:

Free movement of goods
Free movement of capital
Freedom to establish and provide services
Free movement of persons

And removing MY status as a citizen of the EU.

Careful of what you wish for, BJ, Corbyn could validly turn round and denounce YOU.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The creature who is doing everything he can to remove MY freedoms as in:

Free movement of goods
Free movement of capital
Freedom to establish and provide services
Free movement of persons

And removing MY status as a citizen of the EU.

Careful of what you wish for, BJ, Corbyn could validly turn round and denounce YOU.
And then do exactly what BJ wants us to do... Leave.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And then do exactly what BJ wants us to do... Leave.
I watched Andrew Marr interviewed him yesterday.
His body language seems to be 'remainer' while answering about the second referendum - it could well be that he's opportunistic, sensing which way the wind blows.
It is clear that if there is fresh GE, he can, if circumstances demand, offer a second referendum along this line: would you choose 1) the Labour deal, 2) WTO or 3) remain.
The default choice is the Labour deal.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
May's fighting talk: "There's a plan on the table from us ... If they have issues with it, let's hear what those issue are,"
Faisal Islam of Sky posted an interesting backgrounder:
https://news.sky.com/story/chucking-chequers-misses-the-point-of-brexit-hold-up-11507154
She had attempted to say to Irish leader Leo Varadkar that detailed UK plans on Ireland would not be ready until November. This is what prompted the EU27 over lunch last Thursday, led by President Macron of France to drop a plan to commit to a special deal-making Brexit summit in mid-November.

Well, if TM can agree how to sort out the Irish border before November, there may still be a deal.
the EU wants to do VAT and duty checks away from the border, she does not want them anywhere in NI because that will make NI different from the rest of the UK. These discussions are still not published, so there is room for some fudging.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
As I've said many times before, just be patient and wait. There's over two and a half years to the next scheduled General Election and only when that occurs or an earlier one is announced will we know what Labour will do.

Meanwhile Labour continue to hedge their bets by avoiding establishing a position that could cause a loss of support. Woosh has allluded to similar in this post above.

Clearly what Labour will do is adopt the most opportune position then for the election, a very sensible tactic, leaving the tories unable to focus criticism effectively meanwhile.
That scenario assumes country at some point sees Labour as a credible government and offering a majority supported mandate on Brexit. Both seem rather obscure objectives for Labour at moment.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Advertisers