Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I knew what I voted for, exactly as I did in 1975, I voted to leave both times. The EU is a corrosive influence in the world, making the rich Europeans wealthier on the backs of African farmers and high tariffs on third world producers. The sooner it falls apart under the weight of it's own incompetence and mismanagement the better.

As far as NI goes, there really is no problem with leaving things just as they are from the UK perspective. It's not as though the ROI is suddenly going to be invaded by boatloads of refugees coming from the Mediterranean Sea. So why so much angst in Whitehall over it?
No, It's the EU that are terrified of the status quo on the Irish border. They don't want millions of vaccuum cleaners with wattage ratings over 1800 watts and all the other silly nonsense products downgraded by the EU's rules pouring into the ROI from Britain via the Northern Ireland border.
So you are not at all worried about vast amounts of drugs coming up from Africa and flooding into Belfast, , borders flow both both ways.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Welcome to the Thread
Lets see now

EU is a corrosive influence in the world,
Corrosive influence?
Perhaps you would care to explain in what manner?

making the rich Europeans wealthier on the backs of African farmers and high tariffs on third world producers.

That too is completely wrong!
https://fullfact.org/europe/out-africa-facts-about-eu-tariffs-african-exports/

Claim
The EU imposes 50% tariffs on rice, maize and other cereals and 300% tariffs on processed sugar imported from African countries.
Conclusion
Incorrect. The EU does charge tariffs on imports of all these goods, but most African countries aren’t subject to them
"
As far as NI goes, there really is no problem with leaving things just as they are from the UK perspective. It's not as though the ROI is suddenly going to be invaded by boatloads of refugees coming from the Mediterranean Sea. So why so much angst in Whitehall over it?

Are you seriously suggesting that is the reason for the dispute?

The issue of borders and customs has been explained so simply on here it is hard to imagine that anyone can fail to understand it, yet you have, please check for factual information before offering something straight out of a propaganda newspaper.
and you posted this
No, It's the EU that are terrified of the status quo on the Irish border. They don't want millions of vaccuum cleaners with wattage ratings over 1800 watts and all the other silly nonsense products downgraded by the EU's rules pouring into the ROI from Britain via the Northern Ireland border.

What the EU do not want is the smuggling and dumping of cheap unsafe and environmentally damaging goods into the EU from the Far East.
As to that comment about vacuum cleaners clearly you fail to understand the need to reduce energy wasted in inefficient appliances, legislation of this type will have to be complied with by the UK government in the future in order to meet Climate change carbon limits nothing whatever to do with the EU
and also
The sooner it falls apart under the weight of it's own incompetence and mismanagement the better.

My goodness, are you posting in jest?
you want to leave the EU for that reason to be governed by the utterly incompetent shower and dodgy asset strippers in Westminster?

And why do you see any advantage in the EU falling apart? do you really want to go back to the days when the countries that comprise it were regularly at each other's throats so to speak?

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it could do to contain some facts as well as propaganda

Now tell us the real reasons you voted for leave

Even better the benefits we can look forward to out of the EU

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So you are not at all worried about vast amounts of drugs coming up from Africa and flooding into Belfast, , borders flow both both ways.
Nope, Brexiteers don't look too hard for fear of encountering something unpleasant, it is a religion based on faith not fact.
And Faith in False Gods and Graven images at that.
Or Craven if you prefer

Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Now tell us the real reasons you voted for leave. Even better the benefits we can look forward to out of the EU
Don't be cruel OG! It's obvious from this poster's contributions that he is suffering from an incurable disease. Either that or he's 9 years old and rides a BMX Burner, on grown-up internet sites without his parents' knowledge.

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Don't be cruel OG! It's obvious from this poster's contributions that he is suffering from an incurable disease. Either that or he's 9 years old and rides a BMX Burner, on grown-up internet sites without his parents' knowledge.

Tom
Don't discourage him oldtom, I still seek enlightenment on the benefits of Brexit, after so many disappointments and false promises, and thought that perhaps against all odds he would be able to bring light into the darkness:cool:

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Don't discourage him oldtom, I still seek enlightenment on the benefits of Brexit, after so many disappointments and false promises, and thought that perhaps against all odds he would be able to bring light into the darkness:cool:
Fair play to you OG. Let no-one ever say that you are intolerant or that you don't suffer fools gladly. I wish I had your patience!

Tom

• Agree

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
In spite of all the personal attacks the people on here are posting on me, I still respect they are entitled to their opinion, just as I am. Born in the UK, I have lived a long time in many different countries although the UK is now my permanent home. From my perspective, brexit is just a blip on the political landscape, it will happen whether you people like it or not.

The UK has survived a lot worse than brexit, and we will prosper as never before, all your doomsaying and gnashing of teeth will have zero effect on what happens in the next few years.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Welcome to the Thread
Lets see now

EU is a corrosive influence in the world,
Corrosive influence?
Perhaps you would care to explain in what manner?

making the rich Europeans wealthier on the backs of African farmers and high tariffs on third world producers.

That too is completely wrong!
https://fullfact.org/europe/out-africa-facts-about-eu-tariffs-african-exports/

Claim
The EU imposes 50% tariffs on rice, maize and other cereals and 300% tariffs on processed sugar imported from African countries.
Conclusion
Incorrect. The EU does charge tariffs on imports of all these goods, but most African countries aren’t subject to them
"

Are you seriously suggesting that is the reason for the dispute?

The issue of borders and customs has been explained so simply on here it is hard to imagine that anyone can fail to understand it, yet you have, please check for factual information before offering something straight out of a propaganda newspaper.
and you posted this

What the EU do not want is the smuggling and dumping of cheap unsafe and environmentally damaging goods into the EU from the Far East.
As to that comment about vacuum cleaners clearly you fail to understand the need to reduce energy wasted in inefficient appliances, legislation of this type will have to be complied with by the UK government in the future in order to meet Climate change carbon limits nothing whatever to do with the EU
and also
The sooner it falls apart under the weight of it's own incompetence and mismanagement the better.

My goodness, are you posting in jest?
you want to leave the EU for that reason to be governed by the utterly incompetent shower and dodgy asset strippers in Westminster?

And why do you see any advantage in the EU falling apart? do you really want to go back to the days when the countries that comprise it were regularly at each other's throats so to speak?

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it could do to contain some facts as well as propaganda

Now tell us the real reasons you voted for leave

Even better the benefits we can look forward to out of the EU
I really don't know where to start with replying to this claptrap, so I won't bother, it's too late and I'm off to bed.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Calls for a 'people's vote' on the deal, or no deal, should that be the outcome of the 'Brexit' negotiations, have gathered enormous momentum if the media is to be believed this week.

Perhaps the 'Independent' is just trying to talk up the forthcoming protest in the capital with their headline stuff of late but it's here if you haven't read the news:

brexit-referendum-final-say-london-protest-eu-uk-remain-leave-peoples-vote-a8585441.html

Tom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
From my perspective, brexit is just a blip on the political landscape, it will happen whether you people like it or not.
it can be just a blip - because there is no majority support in parliament for any form of brexit.
Even the EU does not have a preference for any form of future relationship.
On the other hand, there is a majority for leaving the matter unresolved until after the next GE which may be fought on which party will offer a second referendum.
it is possible that after a period of turmoil, a new government may recommend a new referendum and reverse brexit.

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I reckon the establishment thought that the French and Italians would surrender quickly when The British got their dander up, thus rather isolating the Germans and causing the smaller nations to get frightened, the whole idea being to destabilise the EU. Uh-uh; the bluff hasn't worked and another referendum now seems likely with a general election almost certainly having to be called before 2020.

Bring it on!

Tom

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Advertisers