Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We did have an Italian pasta company in London Road, St Albans for many years, but that's closed now.

And we do make Smirnoff fake Russian vodka here.

We do make genuine sheeps milk feta cheese here in both Sussex and Yorkshire at least, but after the Yorkshire company lost a court case we had to stop calling it feta following the EU Commission ruling the name could only apply to cheese from certain parts of Greece.

So the Sussex maker calls it Medita and the Yorkshire maker, Mrs Bell, calls it Fine Fettle Cheese. Perhaps as we leave the EU they could be naughty and revert to saying feta!

Not sure why we'd need Irish bricks, England is a major producer of them, particularly the London Brick Company in the Bedfordshire clay fields.
Northern Ireland is a major producer of Irish bricks ,so you need not be deprived. In fact the core of my house is built from Tyrone brick.

Reactions: robdon and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Northern Ireland is a major producer of Irish bricks ,so you need not be deprived. In fact the core of my house is built from Tyrone brick.
I've no doubt, but I see no need to import any when we produce so many in England with abundant clay resources. In 17 years of supplying the construction industry I'd never knowingly tripped over an Irish brick in England.

Oyster's mention of them in his house in the extreme west of Wales may be partly related to proximity, most English production being in the eastern side of the country due to our clayfield locations.

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I've no doubt, but I see no need to import any when we produce so many in England with abundant clay resources. In 17 years of supplying the construction industry I'd never knowingly tripped over an Irish brick in England.

Oyster's mention of them in his house in the extreme west of Wales may be partly related to proximity, most English production being in the eastern side of the country due to our clayfield locations.
The builder changes bricks almost house by house! Very, very slowly built over many years and seems to choose an approximate colour then gets the best deal he can.

But with a border in the Irish Sea we might yet be deprived of NI bricks!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just seen a German company has stopped supplying the UK. They have been a long term direct supplier but have suddenly refused to ship to the UK. Afghanistan? Fine. And all the other many countries they list on their site.

They are being cagey as to why but have suggested they might restart "in 2019".

One suggestion was VAT. Have to say, if I were a trader supplying the UK, I'd want all my VAT paperwork with respect to the UK closed before 29/03/2019 - unless the arrangements were crystal clear and fully agreed. I wouldn't want goods in transit at that time or to have to deal with sudden changes in tariff and non-tariff arrangements, customs declaration requirements, etc.

Reactions: robdon

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Brexit 50p coin to show two children with blue passports fighting over a dead rat for lunch :)

The Chancellor Of The Exchequer Philip Hammond is expected to announce a commemorative Brexit 50p coin today that will depict two small children fighting over a dead rat for lunch by frantically stabbing each other in the eye with the reinforced corners of their blue passports.

According to government sources, the new coin will enter circulation on 31st March 2019 – the day that the United Kingdom officially sort of leaves the European Union.

One source said, ‘It was a tough choice, and we had to whittle down a number of ideas until a panel selected the winning design.’

‘Second place was Jacob Rees-Mogg getting a rim job from a gathering of Question Time audience members from Barnsley, while not far behind that was a diabetes suffering sprawled out on the pavement after being forced to inject themselves with Vimto.’

‘The whole exercise is pretty pointless anyway, because by the time that the new coins are minted 50p will be worth around 19p.’

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just checked the WTO customs tariff on house bricks but found only one mention for Tajikistan! The rate will probably be the same everywhere though, it's 10%.
In all the World wide web is it possible there is another thread about Brexit that goes so far into detail that there is a learned discussion about House Bricks and Cheese?
What a range of Talent 'eh?:D

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Thought for the Day

Here's a BRILLIANT IDEA! it must be if the Japanese have an FTA with it!
Only idiots would give up on membership of such an obviously brilliant organisation for such a paltry reason as to protect offshore financial Tax swindlers as we have.
From a time when we were the "Sick man of Europe"
We became successful despite our own Government,and now thanks to them
We will become instead "The Homeless man, woman and Child of Europe"

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Brexit 50p coin to show two children with blue passports fighting over a dead rat for lunch :)

The Chancellor Of The Exchequer Philip Hammond is expected to announce a commemorative Brexit 50p coin today that will depict two small children fighting over a dead rat for lunch by frantically stabbing each other in the eye with the reinforced corners of their blue passports.

According to government sources, the new coin will enter circulation on 31st March 2019 – the day that the United Kingdom officially sort of leaves the European Union.

One source said, ‘It was a tough choice, and we had to whittle down a number of ideas until a panel selected the winning design.’

‘Second place was Jacob Rees-Mogg getting a rim job from a gathering of Question Time audience members from Barnsley, while not far behind that was a diabetes suffering sprawled out on the pavement after being forced to inject themselves with Vimto.’

‘The whole exercise is pretty pointless anyway, because by the time that the new coins are minted 50p will be worth around 19p.’
50p! A whole days wages for an UBER driver!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
50p! A whole days wages for an UBER driver!
The lucky ones!

Why on earth does anyone become an UBER driver in such as London? Stressful heavy traffic, wearing the car out, never knowing what kind of fare you're picking up, risk of attack, risk of someone throwing up in the car after drinking, long periods of no work or earnings and minimal earnings when there is work.

Almost any work or even the dole is better.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In all the World wide web is it possible there is another thread about Brexit that goes so far into detail that there is a learned discussion about House Bricks and Cheese?
What a range of Talent 'eh?:D
Jean Claude Juncker and Michel Barnier would probably think, "Why couldn't the UK have sent these knowledgeable people to negotiate with us?"

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Jean Claude Juncker and Michel Barnier would probably think, "Why couldn't the UK have sent these knowledgeable people to negotiate with us?"
these people still can't agree among themselves on which brexit after more than 37 thousand posts.

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
these people still can't agree among themselves on which brexit after more than 37 thousand posts.
Come on Woosh you are too modest!
that isn't "these people" more "this person":cool:
After all the others who wanted Brexit haven't stood the course, have they?
And in any case what is on offer anymore?
After all this time and effort there is still nothing other than a belief in miracles keeping the idea going.
It has become the giant snowball rolling downhill that engulfs all that get in it's path.

Last edited:
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
When you look at the trade deals the EU has struck you can see the writing on the wall for Brexit
Dyson is just the first of many companies who will invest in Singapore for Tariff free access to the EU (or something very close) plus cheap labour, short supply lines and other freebies.
Who can entice Manufacturing business start up's here with those inducements on offer?
Even an FTA between us and the EU can't match that.
We either stay in the EU or doom ourselves.

• Agree

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Heyyyyyy.... you sackful of rabid weasels.. or should i just say The Losers Thread..lol!!

Was there a Budget today?? !!!!

Hmmmmmmm.....lets see,

DqsIVBFX4AE4rM9.jpg DqsLYdcWoAI9m8m.jpg

DqsAD0cWwAArr1c.jpg
And also.....
Chancellor announces £2million to help #Belfast city centre recover from the #Primark fire. He says he received a joint request from @NigelDoddsDUP @GRobinsonDUP & @little_pengelly

:p:p:p:p Hear Hear !!

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Advertisers