Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I expect we will have to continue to adopt EU standards into our own laws for a while yet.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
goods manufactured for export to any market have to comply with standards of that market.
For own own market, I expect parliament will have to make time to develop our own standards like we used to.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
goods manufactured for export to any market have to comply with standards of that market.
For own own market, I expect parliament will have to make time to develop our own standards like we used to.
Be expanding the civil service then to write and verify all these.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Be expanding the civil service then to write and verify all these.
my daughter in law works in Whitehall. Job security at long last!

So companies currently in the UK who export to the EU (our biggest market) will still have to comply with EU standards for their export business, but if the sell to their home market (the UK) they could well have to work to different standards... and that'll benefit UK manufacturing in what way??

You've also not mentioned which standards you'd like our parliament to create? What's wrong with having standards across a large market that makes it easy for brands to sell to more customers using a single standard and therefore reducing costs?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we can do like Norway, importing suitable EU standards into our laws where it suits us.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What's wrong with having standards across a large market that makes it easy for brands to sell to more customers using a single standard and therefore reducing costs?
I think that is what will happen. Theresa May's inclusion bill to wrap up our existing EU compliance laws into UK law will have that effect.

In addition there is bound to be much cross referencing to other EU law within our existing adopted laws. That could imply automatic acceptance of EU changes in those laws cross referenced to.

Brexit is riddled with such complexities that will live with us for decades.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I have a product that complies with the EU standard but has been failed by UK trading standards. The U.K. Standard would fail every similar product currently sold in the UK. I will probably ship the product to the EU.
We could end up with lots of arguments such as this,post Brexit as UK standards want to flex their little muscles.
KudosDave

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A better idea is simply not to leave, as it solves all problems.
But no, we have to create
Brexitland, an alternative reality where the nation returns to the Middle ages and the Lord and Serf economic model.
Where Government was taken back from the people for the people by the ruling classes, after the public had voted to "Take Back Control", not realising what that meant to the Politicians.

What these political fools don't realise, is that the next time the public express their displeasure, it may not be just a cross in the wrong box.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Bre
I think that is what will happen. Theresa May's inclusion bill to wrap up our existing EU compliance laws into UK law will have that effect.

In addition there is bound to be much cross referencing to other EU law within our existing adopted laws. That could imply automatic acceptance of EU changes in those laws cross referenced to.

Brexit is riddled with such complexities that will live with us for decades.
Brexit the Exit that actually wasn't an exit at all.....just access through the back door, and having to do what we are told.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
There are some rumours that there is a provision prior to falling into WTO rules that there is a little known provision allowing an interim zero to zero tariff arrangement,provided both countries are agreeable.
It is stated that such an arrangement can continue for a 'reasonable' time,it appears that this can be up to 10 years.
It does require both parties to be agreeable.
Not sure whether that would also remove import tariffs from non EU countries (China) and remove anti dumping duties into the UK.....I cannot see the EU let us import from China duty free and then sell into the EU zero tariff,but who knows?
KudosDave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Have you been to Norway? Do you really think that model will work in the UK? Honestly?
Yes and no... Honestly you are not Norwegians. They came, they saw and they conquered (several times) but your Saxon bloody-mindedness prevailed...

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There are some rumours that there is a provision prior to falling into WTO rules that there is a little known provision allowing an interim zero to zero tariff arrangement,provided both countries are agreeable.
It is stated that such an arrangement can continue for a 'reasonable' time,it appears that this can be up to 10 years.
It does require both parties to be agreeable.
Not sure whether that would also remove import tariffs from non EU countries (China) and remove anti dumping duties into the UK.....I cannot see the EU let us import from China duty free and then sell into the EU zero tariff,but who knows?
KudosDave
You found SW's stash? What have you been smoking Dave? The recent warning and fine of UK customs was just the beginning! I can see EU customs going over every container shipped from the UK and sending ones they don't like back once it hits the fan. I think that will get boring (and very expensive) for those trying it very quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just what we don't need, 3% inflation with 0.5% or less interest on savings.

A Brexit achievement. :rolleyes:
See they told you it would be positive! Inflation is positive (+, up) what could go wrong? o_O

Advertisers