Brian, 77 years young, and his G-Tech ebike.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
So what did you think of the Gtech?
Brian has had the bike for 6 months and his issues were that it came with brake handles too high (an easy adjustment) and zero suspension. He also thought the handlebars were too low for him and the steering felt a bit 'wobbly' and, as he said in the video, he ended up in a thorn bush in the first week due to that issue.

I felt pretty much the same, in that it felt very 'rigid' with it being a hard-tail with rigid front forks, no suspension seat-post and a harsh seat.

I answered his complaints of discomfort by letting him ride mine, which he gave 10 out of 10 for being a good ride, probably as I've just fitted a suspension seat-post and a gel saddle. So, he knows what his next purchase will be he said. I've also advised him on how to raise his handlebars. :)

I would say that it's an OK bike for riding to work. Providing that it's fairly flat and a relatively short distance. It felt very light, which we all know already, and I was able to power it up to around 18mph or so with relative ease. Albeit on a slight downhill slope.

It's a stylish bike. But, for a grand, you can do a lot better.. in my humble opinion. :)

Still, nobody markets them like G-Tech does. ;)

DSC00735.JPG

Note the all round surveillance devices, front and back cameras, on my 'Stealth Bomber'. o_O

Last edited:

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
To be fair the Suntour NCX seat post was a good investment for mine, and I'll be fitting one to my other project as well.

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
To be fair the Suntour NCX seat post was a good investment for mine, and I'll be fitting one to my other project as well.
I have one of those on my other bike. It wouldn't work on this one. It would clunk the rack, or very near to it, and I have a rack bag coming to stow my gear in, which it would definitely bounce against. Gear = umbrella, rainproof jacket, gloves, phone, dog lead, cash, balaclava, ski mask, gas-mask, knife, rope and other essentials.. you know.. :D

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I normally wear a rucksack and to be fair don't carry enough to be prepared for doomsday ;). Sounds like you have some eventful trips out!.

Found another Gtech owner doing 20 mile commutes on his so I'm not the only outcast :).

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I normally wear a rucksack and to be fair don't carry enough to be prepared for doomsday ;). Sounds like you have some eventful trips out!.

Found another Gtech owner doing 20 mile commutes on his so I'm not the only outcast :).
I wouldn't knock the G-Tech. It's just not my cup of tea. I ride bikes cross country primarily. Hence, having 2 e-MTB's. If I could commute, I would happily do it on a G-Tech bike. Alas, my commute is a 50 mile round, motorway trip. I did find myself pedalling like the blazes on it, due to it being so light. It's a good bike to get fitter on for sure.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Yeh it's deffinitely more of a town bike, saying that I have ventured further afield on it (not on a field though!).

Looking forward to finishing my other build an giving it a good shakedown run but the Gtech will always be the daily commute choice for me.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I have a speedo fitted, mainly due to logging milage vs battery because I knew people were very interested in the results.

When I reported first charge use at 53 miles I wish I hadn't bothered but hey ho..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Every 500 miles or so just check the brass bushes on the Suntour seat posts as a couple of my bushes wore through it had covered about 2k road miles. Wasn't able to source replacements so had some made for me by curtesy of the taxpayer.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I did see your post on that, should have had a batch made as I'd by a couple of spare sets ;-).

• Agree

wheatear

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2016
Hampshire
Thanks to all who've replied to my post. Lovely though the Gtech looks, I can already see that it isn't exactly value for money, and might not be all I hoped.

If only I still had the legs, I'd buy one of the beautiful urban machines now being produced by artisan makers and covered in 'Urban Cyclist'. Not that I have any desire to be an urban cyclist, but some of those machines would also be great for spinning down a country lane.

• Agree

wheatear

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2016
Hampshire
As I learn more about the e-bikes currently being marketed, it becomes apparent that I may be limited in finding one with a big enough frame. I'm only about 5'11", with a ~35" inside leg. I used to ride a 24" steel frame but 23" would have done. With today's much smaller frames, one needs much more exposed seat post. That's all right in itself, but if you like the handlebars at the same height as the saddle, you may find you can't raise the bars enough. And even if you can it looks horrible. And the reach will be out of proportion too.

The larger Gtech frame is only 20", which is too small for me. So it's out of consideration on that score alone. I think range would kill it too, as would the poor grade componentry mentioned by, IIRC, Wobble.

Of course I can get the size I want if I buy a Royal Dutch Gazelle, many of which are available with a 57cm frame. But they really aren't the sort of bike I'm looking for.

• Informative