Britain by bike. Ch 5

oggie

Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2017
chester
Anyone watching Britain by bike on channel 5.
Larry and George Lamb. Noticed Larry is on an electric bike, looked good on them Yorkshire hills. Not sure what electric bike it is yet

Reactions: LeighPing

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I watched it. Nice programme. Couldn't see any markings on the ebike. Probably deliberate

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Have only seen the trailers for the programme up to now but will get it on catch up. It looked like a Giant E Prime the one that's produced in that lovely brown colour!

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
It was. Giveaway is the integrated lights, square shape on the headset (?).
Yes ,my wife has the female version, the light on the headset lights up initially and the main light comes on when it gets darker. Has a Yamaha PW motor with 60 NM of torque. A good value for money bike as is all of the Giant range.

pamdo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2017
France
I tested the Prime E+2 yesterday and really liked it. Used to have Giant mountain bikes and never had any trouble with them, but then no motors! The Yamaha seems to be pretty good and with 10 gears it should suffice but maybe not for Mont Ventoux!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can add a double chainring to the Yamaha so Mont Ventoux should not be a problem.

pamdo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2017
France
Thanks. In fact I am waiting to tests a Winora Yucatan 20 with a double chainring. Same price as the Prime but no lock or suspension seatpost. Is there really an advantage in 20 gears over 10 with an e-bike? My Kalkhoff was a NuVinci 360 and I felt I still had to pedal really hard up a steep hill on max assist and lowest gear. (And I had 3 motors before I gave up and sold the bike!)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No. About 16 wide spaced ones is enough to cover just about any terrain. Use this http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence to calculate what you need depending on your terrain.

My own personal ideal setup for a 28" wheel bike (Number Two for example) would be the Sunrace 8 speed 11-40 with 28-44 chainrings giving a range of 20 to 114 gear inches.

My choice is conservative for an e-bike because I need low gears to get home in case of battery failure in the last 5 km. The top gear is calculated to spin out at about 50 km/h at cadence, over that speed you need to be rolled up into a ball to stay out of the wind... Number Two has a record top speed of 62 km/h with me making myself as tiny as possible but you can't pedal when you are in that position anyway. 47-52 km/ are everyday downhill top speeds.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015