British Empire/Commonwealth(1947) heads Olympic medals table

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Struck by the image of three commonwealth flags being raised at one of the medal ceremonies on Friday, I thought it was remarkable how many medals were being gained by countries which had at one time or another absorbed some British traditions through colonisation. So I though I might try constructing my own medal table by aggregating the IOC countries by Empire.

Of course I had a scope for deciding just how to define an Empire especially with respect to date in history. I decided that choosing the extent of the British Empire/Commonwealth 65 years ago just before India became independent in August 1947 would a good date - favourable to the British total. So India and South Africa are in, but Egypt was out, as of course was the USA after the events of 1776. Loosing the USA does unfortunately mean that we loose a great number of medals.

But what other empires were significant in 1947? The only one I could really identify was the so called Eastern Bloc - a group of countries more or less under the rule of the USSR. So I grouped those together. I fudged it because I can't really split out the East Germans from the unified Germany total that is competing in 2012. I also cheated a little because Yugoslavia more or less left the Eastern Bloc in 1948 after the row between Tito and Stalin and I decided that the 2012 medal score of the Serbians, Croatians and Slovenians should not be included in my tally for the 1948 Eastern Block 'Empire'.

This then provided me with 4 major empire and country groupings for the 2012 Olympics:
  • British Empire/Commonwealth (1947)
  • Eastern Bloc (1948)
  • USA
  • China
But what could I do about all the great European countries which formerly had empires, which had more or less evaporated by 1947? I decided it was best to act in slightly anachronistic way because most of the former colonial powers in European are now all within the Euro Zone, the exception being of course Great Britain. So I have formed an artificial empire - the Eurozone Empire ( I have of course excluded from it those Eurozone countries which I had already allocated to the Eastern Block Empire and the Johny come lately Euro member: Slovenia).

On Saturday morning The British Empire/Commonwealth 1947 was in second place in my medal table, but after Super Saturday the top places are:
  • 80 medals -- British Empire/Commonwealth (1947)
  • 79 medals -- Eastern Bloc (1948)
  • 69 medals -- Euro Zone
  • 54 medals -- USA
  • 53 medals -- China

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting but inevitable of course, the sheer size of the British Empire gave a huge intrinsic advantage. I think the current true situation of third in the medal table for Britain while at 22nd in the population table reflects most favourably.

If we truly brought it down to countries and separated England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland by medals won we'd have more interesting results, but I doubt the data is available.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Someone posted this on Facebook a day or two ago (it's out of date now)

Medals per 1 million population

GBR.....1.33
KOR.....1.23
FRA.....1.07
USA.....0.66
GER.....0.61
CHN.....0.14

Advertisers