Brompton E bike 2014?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
On further investigation of the Williams site it could be the collaboration project may have been scuppered again as part of Williams Advanced Engineering - the Hybrid Power division - was sold off to GKN in March this year or someone has built the web page and inadvertently published it by mistake.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
It does seem the whole Brompton E bike initiative has gone quiet. Not to worry though many of us have improvised and come up with our own solutions :p

I would suspect that any Brompton offering would be very expensive!

Jerry

Reactions: kitchenman

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
If it was based on their Kers system it might have been good for 8 second bursts;)

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Google cached page has been taken down - hmmm.

More clues from Linkedin

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/neilmwhittaker:

Head of Hybrid Systems
WilliamsF1
Privately Held; 501-1000 employees; Sports industry

2012 – Present (2 years)

Responsible for the exploitation of Hybrid Propulsion system technology, covering the end to end commercial, technical, project delivery & manufacture, of Hybrid Systems to the Energy Storage and Automotive markets. Successfully project managed the delivery of the C-X75 Electrical Propulsion system; secured contracts to supply Formula E with Energy Storage Systems and the propulsion system for an E Bike OEM, secured TSB funding to design and develop an advanced manufacturing system for high voltage batteies used in Automotive and Electrcial Utility applications.

More info: GKN buys Hybrid Systems for £8M:

http://www.gkn.com/media/News/Pages/GKN-acquires-Williams-Hybrid-Power-Limited.aspx

3 weeks later as part of a group, receives part of £7.6M grant :

http://www.gkn.com/media/News/Pages/GKN-receives-grant-to-bring-Formula-One-technology-to-public-transport.aspx

S&S Windings also part of the group, could this have been the motor builder?:

http://www.sandswindings.com/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I think that they've wasted a massive opportunity by not offering an electric version. I don't know why they have to make such a long project out of when Jerrysimon offered them a solution on a plate.It' not exactly difficult is it?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
where would you put the battery on the Brompton, where are you going to run the wires through and how would you keep the weight down?
The only practical solution for an e-Brompton is a front Copenhagen type of wheel.

D

Deleted member 4366

Jerry does it with the controller and battery in a front bag with a quick-release connector. If I were a Brompton designer, I'd go for a battery and controller in a pod mounted on the main frame tube in front of the seat so that it doesn't interfere with the folding and doesn't increase the size when folded. With a torque sensor BB, there would only be one wire to the motor that crosses one folding point.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think my Nano is quite well thought out.

Front hub motor, battery in a front Brommie bag, connected via the mounting block, and a small controller mounted on the headtube, none of which effects the fold.

http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/

The only problem is the extra weight kills the portability making the bike suitable really only for lifting in and out of a car.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

if I were the boss of Brompton, I would OEM an electron wheel.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
where would you put the battery on the Brompton, where are you going to run the wires through and how would you keep the weight down?
The only practical solution for an e-Brompton is a front Copenhagen type of wheel.
My "stokemonkey" bracket solves the battery problem and the wiring. I can lift it on and off the train and have on occasion carried it across footbridges!folded.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

I had a feeling something was coming from you, Kitchenman. The wait was worth it. That's brilliant. Can we have some more photos and details please?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Much as I love Kitchenman's conversion, I still like the idea of separating controller/battery from bike. Then again I guess its easy to take the bottle battery off and carry it in the other hand.

My guess is that Brompton don't feel that a mortised solution would provide the same reliability. Well that and the fact that the cost they would want to impose would mean very few would purchase it. For us DIYers its easy in that we can easily support and fix it. This is why I personally would never attempt to go into business with my various solutions. I am convinced that I would never make any money.

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

See if you can search back and find his other projects. It used to be really interesting when he and Cwah were applying their creative juices. It's been a bit boring recently, so we have to entertain ourselves by slagging each other off instead - a bit like East Enders, Coronation Street or Emmerdale

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I had a feeling something was coming from you, Kitchenman. The wait was worth it. That's brilliant. Can we have some more photos and details please?
Of course!SM_BRACKET2.jpg SM_BRACKET1.jpg