Brompton Electric Bike... Made by Brompton

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
6C88BBE2-D9EC-4CE8-96A6-B56889A10AAF.jpeg
I had a KTM then a Cube e-bike and loved them. Then I was told by my consultant I shouldn’t bend and lift so I sold the Cube then bought an H6R Brompton... this was basically a 6speed Brompton. I had the gearing reduced for going up hills but I struggled after my knee operation.
So.... I ordered an electric Brompton.
The range is small, namely it’s either black or white, 2 or 6 gears and you can choose type of handlebars. I was told by the dealer (Cycle Heaven in York) that the reason they don’t have all the colour options and other options such as tyre type etc is that it would delay approx 1week for every option selected! So I couldn’t get the Lime Green I had on my standard Brompton. I waited approx three months for delivery.
Back to the review:
I found going from crank to hub drive weird to put it politely. I have never suffered from wheelspin before on a bicycle - this was at the side of a road with a small amount of fine gravel, so be very careful, especially if you are trying to start off doing a tight turn.
The bike folds and fits in the boot just like the non electric version but you also have a battery pack which fits on the front luggage clip.
There is a choice of two “battery bags” the standard one has a capacity of 1.5 litres and the City bag 20 litres... I hope they bring out an in between size as I find the standard size is too small and 20 litres is far too big (wind resistance is huge).
Initially I had problems with the battery showing controller faults by flashing certain lights but it seems to have resolved itself (this will show on diagnostics at the first service).
I find the power delivery, in the main, very smooth so long as you get used to which gear you should be in. The crank has a cadence sensor and a torque sensor which links to the hub motor.
The hill climbing ability surprised me - if anyone lives near the Derwent Reservoir in Co Durham, I can climb the steep hill from the lower car park up to the water tower car park with ease. So far I have done approx 55 Miles and according to Stava have hit a top speed of 40mph!?!
Unfortunately Brompton still haven’t released their own app for logging journeys but I am currently using Strava so I know when to take it in for its first service at 100 Miles.
If you want to try one in the North East, Cycle Heaven at YORK railway station are very helpful and the long term car park is next to the shop, and it’s huge, so you can have a decent test ride away from traffic.
I nearly forgot... there is virtually no drag from the hub if you aren’t using the electric motor... in fact if I ride my standard Brompton then the electric one, with power switched off, I can’t really notice a difference.
I will add more detail to this posting as I use it more.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
40mph on a Brompton sounds a bit scary! Worth checking your stopping distances! Riding my eMTB at about 35mph downhill last week, I had to stop suddenly for a car in front - I left a lot of my rear tyre on the tarmac before I eventually stopped!! I will definitely employ a little more caution in future...

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
40mph on a Brompton sounds a bit scary! Worth checking your stopping distances! Riding my eMTB at about 35mph downhill last week, I had to stop suddenly for a car in front - I left a lot of my rear tyre on the tarmac before I eventually stopped!! I will definitely employ a little more caution in future...
I think the speed Strava quoted was coming down the hill from the Derwent reservoir dam on an empty private road. I have to say it was rather scary and took some time to stop!
To be quite honest I’m happy toddling along at about 10mph enjoying the scenery and will not let the speed build up again.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Just taken bike into Cycle Heaven in York for its first service and to run diagnostics as, when I first got it, I had a couple of flashing warning lights on the battery and power delivery sometimes cut out just after starting off.
The diagnostics were sent to Brompton and they have recalled the bike to check it out... I’m told they might install a new controller and motor.....If they do I hope it’s lasts longer than 65 Miles.
However I still love it!

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
015559EF-7C5D-493C-AA6C-4786DFDB36BF.jpeg I collected the bike yesterday and was told they had basically changed the motor, controller and torque/cadence sensors in the crank.
So I was ready to wrap up warm and test it today but it’s snowing!
It looks beautiful but not ideal for my intended road test!!

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Just taken bike into Cycle Heaven in York for its first service and to run diagnostics as, when I first got it, I had a couple of flashing warning lights on the battery and power delivery sometimes cut out just after starting off.
The diagnostics were sent to Brompton and they have recalled the bike to check it out... I’m told they might install a new controller and motor.....If they do I hope it’s lasts longer than 65 Miles.
However I still love it!
Hi can I just mention when I ride my Brompton which has a Nano kit fitted ,that the Brompton had a nasty habit of cutting out when I pulled off or hit a bump and then I realised the bag on the front of the bike which held the Battery was loose and would move upwards which then broke the contact lol I did manage to fix the problem by bending the contacts slightly ,problem over,

• Informative
Reactions: BigG

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Hi can I just mention when I ride my Brompton which has a Nano kit fitted ,that the Brompton had a nasty habit of cutting out when I pulled off or hit a bump and then I realised the bag on the front of the bike which held the Battery was loose and would move upwards which then broke the contact lol I did manage to fix the problem by bending the contacts slightly ,problem over,
Thanks for the thought.... I wondered about that and it may well have been but Brompton decided to renew everything!

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Unfortunately the mods completed at the factory didn’t work, so asked Brompton for a full refund and have received it.
Cycle Heaven were certainly the “middlemen” in this, as my purchase was from Brompton direct and Cycle Heaven (in York) were the poor guys who just handed it over and had to deal with the issues. They were truly fantastic and well worth the two hour drive to get to them.... they couldn’t do enough to help.
It has been suggested I check out the new Tern Vektron with the new Bosch crank drive. I intend to do this but am concerned about the weight and folded size. I had two bikes with the older Bosch drive and they were fabulous to ride but I need to be able to lift it, with ease, into my car boot.
My plan is, if the Vektron is too heavy or too large in its folded state to get it in and out of the boot, I will wait until the spring and order a new Brompton from Tom at Cycle Heaven. I know Brompton are accrediting more dealers to sell electric bikes but I have been “hooked” by the customer service offered in York.
I think, as there are so many customers happy with their bikes, mine must have been a rogue.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Big G, your report on your Brompton was interesting particularly as I have a Brompton cycle bought at least 18 years ago from Brompton themselves when in a railway arch, its standard plus accessories that were available then and I’ve done about 6 miles in total on it so its near new (almost), I bought a Powrbyke about 16 years ago, in fact two - one for the wife, but she didn’t get on with it so both bikes have been stored for most of the time until I gave wife’s bike to a friend in Belgium last year, a thing that annoyed me with the Powrbykes is their spoke lacing being really out of wack - pretty well standard with Chinese manufacture. With main interests being motorcycles and large scooters I retained an interest in e-bikes and in particular the Batribike Quartz folder - a beautiful piece of real craftsmanship, for years it was impractical to store any more ‘toys’ until recently when one such came up on fleabay so I snapped it up pdq, but with the weather being so damned wet and cold I just sit and admire it until warmer weather arrives. My wife being a slightly built person finds even the Quartz a problem for her but an answer came - again from fleabay when I found a good example of a Batribike Trike20 up for auction....I bought it and look forward to its delivery on Christmas eve, another masterpiece of engineering with its swivelling / lockable frame. So an idea of converting the Brompton into an e-bike has been kicked into touch for the time being.

Jim

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I have checked out conversions and the one I liked best was from ARCC. However at approx £1800 I have decided to try an Electric Brompton in the spring as I do have a buyer for my Apple Green H6R Brompton.
Good luck with the trike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have checked out conversions and the one I liked best was from ARCC. However at approx £1800 I have decided to try an Electric Brompton in the spring as I do have a buyer for my Apple Green H6R Brompton.
Good luck with the trike.
I'm confused, won't the e-Brompton you buy in the spring be the same model that's given you bother?

I like Bromptons, but they seem to have made a meal and a mess of producing the electric version.

It's taken five or more years to come up with a basic front hub motor/battery in Brommie bag design that a competent kit builder could have come up with in a few hours.

Worse, it appears the Brompton design is less than bullet proof.

Factory fit is usually best, but if I wanted an e-Brompton I'd be tempted to go for a Nano kit, not least because you can spec the Brompton to be converted.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I hope they will have resolved the problems by then. If not I may well go for the Tern Vektron but they are even more money than the Brompton!

Dave Y Fenni

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2017
Y Fenni
I don't want to upset anyone. 10 months ago when looking for a folder e bike, one dealer said don't buy a front wheel hub motor, not the best traction! So I took this on board after test riding a Brompton. I purchased a Volt Metro LS with XL battery. I have to artificial knees and it works for me!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't want to upset anyone. 10 months ago when looking for a folder e bike, one dealer said don't buy a front wheel hub motor, not the best traction! So I took this on board after test riding a Brompton. I purchased a Volt Metro LS with XL battery. I have to artificial knees and it works for me!
I'm also a rear hub motor fan, but for normal road use front hubs aren't a problem in the most common wheels sizes. But in smaller wheels the higher torque can lead to wheelspin in some wet or greasy circumstances. And of course offroad on loose surfaces front hub motors can spin wheels easily.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I can vouch for that - less traction on front wheel, I’ve just bought my wife a Batribike Trike20 which has front wheel drive - my driveway is pebble stones and the front wheel slips like crazy as soon as it sees any load, prob ok on tatmac though, we’ll see.

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can vouch for that - less traction on front wheel, I’ve just bought my wife a Batribike Trike20 which has front wheel drive - my driveway is pebble stones and the front wheel slips like crazy as soon as it sees any load, prob ok on tatmac though, we’ll see.

Jim
Yes, the front drive on trikes is a bigger problem, more weight to pull but little of it on the front wheel. It should be ok on dry tarmac though.

Having a front basket and putting the shopping in that helps when returning from a supermarket trip.

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Big G

Take Charge have a Tern Vecktron S10 (Bosch)on their website for 33% off - £2,211.

Reactions: BigG

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Big G, yes, - very yummey - except that once one gets off it ITS NICKED!

I would be put off e-bikes forever if my QUARTZ was nicked.

Jim

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
If I get another e- folder it will probably be the Tern which I will chain it to my ankle so it doesn’t get nicked!

Related Articles

Advertisers