Brompton Nano or Kudos Secret?

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
If you want an off the shelf folder check this out:

Dahon Ikon Electric Folding Bike Black - City Bikes - ACYCLES
Thanks. I've seen the Ikon before (I remember the different wheel colours) but didn't have it on my list for some reason. Seems about the same price as the Wispa 806 Classic (which is a few hundred pounds more than the other bikes I listed) so I probably need to look into why that is and whether I need to splash out on that certain something if it makes it a 'better' bike in any way. I'm not very knowledgeable on the spec of the different bikes - to me the Wispa and Dahon look on paper about the same as the other bikes I mentioned.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
One key difference is that the Wisper has hub gears so it is a case of whether you want a bike with hub gears or not. Good luck with the search!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks d8veh, that is helpful.

Would still like to check on whether it is a rear or front wheel motor and what sort of bike speeds it would best suit.

OH sitting next to me looking pleased that you just swap the wheel. He thought he was going to be stripping the bike down completely and off searching for parts to make it fit!
The most helpful member on these forums!

All our bikes are restricted to the legal limits for the UK: 15.5 MPH for the electric bikes and 30MPH for the electric scooters. We supply the Police, amongst others, and are members of BEBA, so take this seriously (no, we don't tell you how to de-restrict them)!

Our built bikes are rear wheel driven, as we think bikes are designed to be so. The new Urban Compact Clicks also have a 48 tooth chainwheel and 13 toothed cassette in top gear (6 speed), as recommended by existing riders.

Our kits, on the other hand, replace the front wheel, for convenience - no need to fiddle with gears already configured on the existing bike. The only issue I have then is that the bike becomes a front wheel drive and so stability of the bike is compromised when accelerating through loose surfaces (gravel for instance). Not everyone agrees this is a serious issue and some argue that two-wheel drive is better (rider on the rear wheel, motor on the front).

To fit the kit into the front forks requires good quality forks (strong, especially at the drop-outs) and a minimum distance of 98mm between those drop-outs, parallel along the forks for 60mm or so.

Have you discovered The Bike Centre at Romsey, which may be even closer to you than Swindon, though with a smaller range of makes to try.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
One key difference is that the Wisper has hub gears so it is a case of whether you want a bike with hub gears or not. Good luck with the search!
Do they make a big difference then Electrifying Bicycles? I see you sell that particular bike - am I right in thinking it has a soft start throttle feature and the lights also operate separately should you run out of charge?

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Bob - you have been very informative which is also good to know if one does purchase a Juicy bike or kit as it inspires a little more confidence. I'm definitely going to go for a ready made bike now as it just isn't worth trying a DIY job with the choice of bikes now available. I look forward to reading about your new Urban Compact when it is up on the website. The changes sound good and on a purely superficial level I like the tan accessories...especially with the olive colour :)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Bob - you have been very informative which is also good to know if one does purchase a Juicy bike or kit as it inspires a little more confidence. I'm definitely going to go for a ready made bike now as it just isn't worth trying a DIY job with the choice of bikes now available. I look forward to reading about your new Urban Compact when it is up on the website. The changes sound good and on a purely superficial level I like the tan accessories...especially with the olive colour :)
Well, that's very kind of you to say. Thankyou.

We're gradually adding the new ranges to our new website, which you can sneak a preview of here, though it is not "live" yet.
The Urban compact is not yet listed, but you can glimpse a new colour range (Heath) which will be available to the Compact range. Currently Heath is shown at the Sport Click gallery images.

Any feedback about the new site gratefully received.

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
All the homework in the world is irrelevant if you don't feel good on the bike...you are at the stage of getting out and test riding some bikes....KudosDave
KudosDave - you are quite right and in an ideal world that is exactly where I would be right now...test riding all your lovely bikes, wind in my hair! But as I mentioned earlier in this thread I am not quite fit and healthy enough for that yet (being at the tail end of a severe M.E./CFS relapse) so it will be a little longer till that is possible. In the meantime (in my excitement at the thought of having an ebike) I have thoroughly enjoyed researching the options and have learnt an awful lot (thanks to all you helpful forum members) and narrowed it down to 3 or 4 suitable bikes. This will save a lot of time and energy when it comes to testing them out. As they say, knowledge is power :)

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Do they make a big difference then Electrifying Bicycles? I see you sell that particular bike - am I right in thinking it has a soft start throttle feature and the lights also operate separately should you run out of charge?
Hub gears are just easier for riding in town and lower maintenance. That is not to say there is anything wrong with Derraileur gears, just best to decide what suits you. The bike has an independant throttle (twist grip) up to 15mph.

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Hub gears are just easier for riding in town and lower maintenance. That is not to say there is anything wrong with Derraileur gears, just best to decide what suits you. The bike has an independant throttle (twist grip) up to 15mph.
Appreciate you clarifying that EC

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
thats a point of view for sure, but hub gears have their problems, punctures for example tend to be a pain, and they are less hammer engineering than derailleurs so can't be fixed as easy at the roadside in my experience.

i had a similar experience in being laid up and unable to ride whilst trying to choose a new ride, and i'd say build yourself a big shortlist (is that an oxymoron? probably :) ) I remember being really interested in the stats and making a huge spreadsheet, which i promptly ignored and bought the first bike i loved :)

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Ha ha, I can imagine that. There is nothing like seeing something in the metal and in the end it will no doubt depend on which bikes I can try out and are convenient for servicing etc. Can't wait tbh, never having tried an ebike it should be fun!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hub gears are particularly suited to a folder for a few reasons:

Derailleurs on small wheeled bikes hang very low making them more susceptible to damage and picking up road dirt.

The chain on a hub gear bike has a higher line which means it stays cleaner.

Hub gears are cleaner for handling the bike when folding, unfolding and lifting in and out of the car.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks DW for your words regarding the Wisper 806Classic.

I should mention as well that the 806Classic has the advantage of a soft start option, where the power can be set to come in over 4 seconds. In the wet or ice this can be very advantageous especially with the powerful Dapu motor.

I should also mention that the 806Classic has been so popular this year that we are all but out of stock until early 2014. I think we have two left.

Best regards

David

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

So far I'm not having much luck finding many suitable bikes to try locally. Our closest dealer (ebikes direct) was all about the Freego (too heavy IMO and I'm just not into the style) and even the branch in London didn't have a Juicy Bike or Fast4ward Edge in stock despite listing them on their website. Again, they suggested the Freego.

So, OH has kindly agreed to pop up to London to test out the Volt Metro for me and I'll ring around to find out if anyone has the other bikes. I know the Fast4ward (now a2b Kuo) is not as powerful (26v battery) but it's lighter so I'm still keen to hear how it compares to the 36v bikes...as it may just about be enough for what I need.

In the meantime I'm thinking I may have to buy online without a test ride. so I've continued reading through the archives of this forum and came across a discussion about a cheapie bike from Tesco...which led me to this model (love the write up...especially the part about it being 'special addition version with uprated parted')

http://www.tesco.com/betadirect/hopper-urban-se-electric-bike/249-5474.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=249-5474#

Hmmm, am I scraping the barrel with this one (do love a bargain and could use up some clubcard points)!?

Can anyone tell me if you can add a throttle to any ebike as it doesn't appear to have one?

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I've no idea what that ebike from Tesco is like..... but I do know Tesco's after sales are excellent, any problems or you just don't like it, you can just return for replacement or a full refund. You don't even have to pay to return, they will send a courier to collect at a time that convenient to you.

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
OK, that's good to know. Nothing to lose I suppose if you can just send it back.

Ringing round has brought no further luck with regard to tracking down bikes to test. Looks like one London dealer could possibly get a Fast4ward Edge in to try with a bit of warning but none currently in stock and definitely not round here. That's a shame as am definitely drawn to the BMX styling. It seems that bike is being rebranded as the A2B Kuo and will be out next year (tho John Lewis have it already) so that might account for its scarcity. Not much point in OH going up to London just to try one bike (Volt) without others to compare.

Buying blind online is looking more likely...

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Just an update - the lack of folding ebikes available to try is proving quite perplexing. I'm not getting any fast replies from manufacturers so have rung 4 different dealers asking about certain bikes (of which none are in stock) and had every single one of them tell me what I really want is a Freego folder (which I never mentioned when calling and I don't think I do!). I was beginning to wonder if I had accidentally rung the same outlet four times as the conversation was exactly the same.

So am having to think outside the box and consider the lighter/smaller non-folders as well as would prefer to purchase locally for the backup support. We'll just have to change cars sooner and get a rack :)

Our nearest (ish) shop is E Bikes Direct in Aldershot so will head up this weekend and try the following :-

Oxygen Diva (very highly recommended by a helpful member)
Cyclotricity Stealth
Freego Folder (if nothing else it will give an idea of what a small folder is like to ride)

Was also hoping to try out such bikes as the Byocycles Chameleon or Fast4ward Edge as comparison but no stock.

If anyone has an opinion on any of these bikes then I'd be very interested to hear it.

Thanks...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
OK, that's good to know. Nothing to lose I suppose if you can just send it back.

Ringing round has brought no further luck with regard to tracking down bikes to test. Looks like one London dealer could possibly get a Fast4ward Edge in to try with a bit of warning but none currently in stock and definitely not round here. That's a shame as am definitely drawn to the BMX styling. It seems that bike is being rebranded as the A2B Kuo and will be out next year (tho John Lewis have it already) so that might account for its scarcity. Not much point in OH going up to London just to try one bike (Volt) without others to compare.

Buying blind online is looking more likely...
Cricket,buying blind is never a good idea,so many occassions on this forum have resulted in members realising they have bought the wrong bike on-line. Is the London Electric Bike Company within your radius in Hampton Wick,Kingston on Thames.....they have over 20 e-bikes in stock including the 5 Kudos Secret bikes and Versatile bikes.The Secret was a bike you originally thought ideal. The Secret was a bike that worked well from the prototype,we have another 100 stock en-ship to us such is our faith in this bike,
KudosDave