Brompton Nano or Kudos Secret?

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Cricket,buying blind is never a good idea,so many occassions on this forum have resulted in members realising they have bought the wrong bike on-line. Is the London Electric Bike Company within your radius in Hampton Wick,Kingston on Thames.....they have over 20 e-bikes in stock including the 5 Kudos Secret bikes and Versatile bikes.The Secret was a bike you originally thought ideal. The Secret was a bike that worked well from the prototype,we have another 100 stock en-ship to us such is our faith in this bike,
KudosDave
Dave, you are right about buying blind and I don't want to so OH has kindly offered to trawl the shops for me to get going. So we'll start local as if nothing else it means we've got an easy port of call should anything go wrong with the bike. I asked about your bike at Aldershot but they had none in store. However, the Secret still remains on the list but possibly not the Versatile as I believe it has no throttle and is lower voltage? Having said that the shape and suspension are more to my requirements so if you could combine the two we'd be all systems go! Only kidding. Anyway, if the local pitstop brings no joy it will be on to London and my OH will make a first stop at The London Electric Bike Co for a good look around before heading into central London. I look forward to updating this thread with case solved eventually. It's just been tricky tracking bikes down but hopefully on a roll now :)

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Finally made it to the local dealer to try out some bikes and fell in love with the Oxygen Diva. The bike is arriving today and I'm more excited than when I got given a free box of chocolate flapjacks last week (and that's saying something).

Not sure how I went from considering a Brompton to a 26" Oxygen but don't suppose I'm the first person to have changed their mind. It rode like a dream and I couldn't stop smiling.

Did try a Freego folder (26kgs!) which I quite liked but I underestimated the weight issue big time and anything above 15 or so kilos was going to be a problem to lift which made a folder a bit pointless. Also, as some of you pointed out the larger wheels are better for off road tracks and paths..as is the suspension and I really felt that when test riding them both. I think some sort of lightweight folder will still be needed down the line though (N+1).

Thanks everyone for your advice and especially Ghouluk who so very kindly let my OH take theirs for a spin on the local hills. Will update when I've had it a while.

Cricket

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oxygens are decent bikes.

I nearly bought one - twice.

Problem I found was there was never any in stock or even available to order within a reasonable time span.

Assuming your bike exists, all should be well.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
i'm a big fan of the oxygen (as you and most other people know) which is kind of a shame as my wife owns it ;)

great that you got sorted, enjoy the new bike and look forward to seeing you around and about in the future.

D

Deleted member 4366

On the surface, Oxygen don't look much, but they have cassette motors with decent gearing, good batteries, and everything else is well specified, but the main thing is that they're very pleasant to ride. Nearly everyone that rides one likes them and comment how nice they are.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I agree we sold a nice pre-owned one a while back, ride was very nice. Only improvement I would like is a chain guard.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
On the surface, Oxygen don't look much, but they have cassette motors with decent gearing, good batteries, and everything else is well specified, but the main thing is that they're very pleasant to ride. Nearly everyone that rides one likes them and comment how nice they are.
Dave, you're being modest. Oxygen make great bikes and are members of BEBA. Andrew, the owner of the company is an extremely nice chap and is a pleasure to meet. When Dave had problems getting to the NEC set-up day (to help out at the Oxygen stand) we had the happy luck to be able to help Andrew set up his stand, and so got to see his bikes up close. They are very good bikes.

Andrew still owes us a pint though...

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Thanks everyone, glad you all think of it as a solid choice. It certainly looks good sitting in the lounge but OH and my Dad are having a problem assembling it. Nearly there but seems the front mudguard is not curving up high enough so the wheel is catching/rubbing. They've tried everything and are now looking for a washer to push it up in place.

Any advice please!?

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Well, my first foray into ebiking has hit a hurdle. After an afternoon assembling the diva and a full charge of the battery we discovered a problem with the power - you turn it on and it cuts out. A throttle attempt up the garden and the bike gave up the ghost making a noise akin to a cats chorus. No minor adjustments solved the problem so it had to go back today. These things happen and I must say Rami at E Bikes Direct has so far been very apologetic and assures us he'll get it sorted or order another bike which will be fully assembled and tested. The only problem may be stock if this bike can't be mended as Oxygen are pretty much down to the last one with no idea when the next batch are due. Fingers crossed it can be fixed.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Well, my first foray into ebiking has hit a hurdle. After an afternoon assembling the diva and a full charge of the battery we discovered a problem with the power - you turn it on and it cuts out. A throttle attempt up the garden and the bike gave up the ghost making a noise akin to a cats chorus. No minor adjustments solved the problem so it had to go back today. These things happen and I must say Rami at E Bikes Direct has so far been very apologetic and assures us he'll get it sorted or order another bike which will be fully assembled and tested. The only problem may be stock if this bike can't be mended as Oxygen are pretty much down to the last one with no idea when the next batch are due. Fingers crossed it can be fixed.
Oh dear.

I would be vary wary of quoted delivery times for an ordered-in replacement.

As I mentioned earlier, supply of Oxygen bikes is very hit and miss.

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Oh dear.

I would be vary wary of quoted delivery times for an ordered-in replacement.

As I mentioned earlier, supply of Oxygen bikes is very hit and miss.
I hope that won't prove to be a problem as I do really like the diva. Maybe it'll be something as simple as a loose cable and the bike can come straight back!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
:( Sid's Law in operation - Finally find your ideal bike & there's only one available in the entire uk...

And that one's broke :mad:

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
After profuse apologies from E Bikes Direct they promised to look at the bike yesterday and if it couldn't be fixed get a new bike sent over if any stock left. Surprise surprise...heard nothing so chased them up today and they're just too busy to look at it...that old chestnut :)

Feeling a bit grouchy today so after an email to say not happy and a refund politely suggested they sprung into action and checked it over. It is the connection to the controller which is failing. They will fix it but the part from Oxygen would take a couple of weeks. It must have been that magic word refund as they acknowledged that would not really be acceptable after spending £1,300 on a new bike and have asked the manufacturer to send another bike which should arrive in the next day or so. This time they have agreed to fully assemble and test the diva before we collect it.

Can't say fairer than that so hopefully all will go well this time. And at least there was one still in stock.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Good news - hope the next one is as good as frankie's has been - can't believe they didn't assemble and test before delivery of the last one though?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's really disappointing that they didn't check it before they sent it out. Presumably, they didn't check that the brakes were properly setup either.

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Good news - hope the next one is as good as frankie's has been - can't believe they didn't assemble and test before delivery of the last one though?
Hi Rob,

Think that was a bit of a communication breakdown as initially they said they would assemble it but then when they called to say it was in and we asked about putting it together they just said it'll come 'in a box' :)

We should have insisted on it but with one thing or another it didn't happen. Won't be making that mistake second time round...not least because my parents won't appreciate doing another set of round trips to drop it off and collect it! Perils of a small car.

I know what a great bike it is and how much Frankie (and you!) love it so I'm sure it will be a lot of fun once we get it sorted.

Hope it's not too cold for you to get out for a daily spin and Frankie will join you again soon. Watch out for another diva on those local towpaths next year...

Cricket

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
It's really disappointing that they didn't check it before they sent it out. Presumably, they didn't check that the brakes were properly setup either.
They didn't check anything but I admit we were silly not to insist on that. They said they would originally but maybe they were busy or thought we weren't bothered and as my OH didn't push the issue it didn't get done (he's only used to standard bikes so probably thought it wasn't a big deal). This time we have insisted and I'm sure they won't want any more hiccups so all should be ok..

C

Cyclezee

Be assured Cricket, I don't know about the dealers, but Andrew at Oxygen is a top guy and won't let you down.

Really it doesn't matter what you buy, a fault can occur, it is how the problem is dealt with that is important.

We had a new double oven delivered yesterday and after my wife lifted into the housing with a little guidance from me we noticed that the control panel wobbles like a wobbly thing. I was tempted to tinker with it, but called John Lewis instead. They will send someone to have look at it but can't say when as they are quite busy, apparently it is Christmas.......did anyone else know that:eek:

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Be assured Cricket, I don't know about the dealers, but Andrew at Oxygen is a top guy and won't let you down.

Really it doesn't matter what you buy, a fault can occur, it is how the problem is dealt with that is important.

We had a new double oven delivered yesterday and after my wife lifted into the housing with a little guidance from me we noticed that the control panel wobbles like a wobbly thing. I was tempted to tinker with it, but called John Lewis instead. They will send someone to have look at it but can't say when as they are quite busy, apparently it is Christmas.......did anyone else know that:eek:
Thanks John, good to know. I've no real complaint yet - Oxygen are sending a replacement bike which is the best one can ask for. I didn't see it as a warranty issue as such as the bike was obviously broken from the get go which is why I wasn't happy to wait for parts to ship from abroad to fix it. I want to at least start with a perfectly functioning bike! As for John Lewis - I normally find them superb on the customer service front. We had an oven arrive once from them with smashed glass and had a new one by the next day...but then again it wasn't 'the most magical time of the year' and it couldn't really be fixed in situ! Good luck and hope it's done in time for your roast turkey...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Andrew at Oxygen is a top guy and won't let you down.

How Very very true.......

Lynda :)