Brose motor problems

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Sambal commutes on his hard fat bike and loves it.
I will do quite a bit on the road with mine as It'll be the only bike I have. Just wonder if I'd be glad of the FS for the other stuff. going of curbs etc was fine on the HT fat bike I tested.

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Have you tested any non fat bikes on trails Graham? I've never ridden a fat bike but imagine they'd be cumbersome on twisty bumpy trails? And a nightmare in muddy conditions. I'm thinking about a Forest of Dean trip Saturday if you're interested on having a go on my bike?

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Have you tested any non fat bikes on trails Graham? I've never ridden a fat bike but imagine they'd be cumbersome on twisty bumpy trails? And a nightmare in muddy conditions. I'm thinking about a Forest of Dean trip Saturday if you're interested on having a go on my bike?
Hi Chris, That would have been great and thanks for the offer, but I'm going to be busy elsewhere all Saturday. I haven't ridden anything on the trails yet, or before that when it comes to it. I am basically hoping the ebike will help me get more into it.

You are right that fat bikes will not be as agile as standard tyres. I have read different reports regarding mud. some say they float over it really well, and other say not as good as they don't bite in and get the grip like smaller tyres.

For my use, I'm not planing to use it for highly technical trails but more for dirt, woodland and grass type tracks / roads.

I haven't yet found a fat bike rental I can have for a day. I'm sure renting a standard or plus tyre bike would be great in these conditions, but it wouldn't help tell me if the fat bike would be worse, or just different. All I know is that when i have ridden fat bikes in the past, including a non electric one, it's just broght a big smile to my face.

Reactions: chris130256

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
No problem Graham. Another time perhaps? The thing about having a big smile on your face riding a fatbike, I'd suggest every single person who has contributed to the emtb photo thread has a similar smile on their face when they ride their emtb?

• Agree
Reactions: IR772 and Graham B

Ravin

Just Joined
Apr 6, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I am 2016 Rotwild enduro RE+ owner and have had terrible problems with the motor.
It started cutting out about a month after I bought it. At first it seemed to be limited to people over about 80kg ,but progressively got worse.
The motor only restarts when you lift out of the seat and pedal, after seating it cuts out again,
Making matters worse, I imported the bike from Berlin, so have been told to remove the motor and send back for inspection.
Rotwild have no presence in Australia and Brose does not have an independent distributor. No-one here knows how to dismantle the motor.
Anyone have any reason why the Brose T appears to be so faulty?

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I am 2016 Rotwild enduro RE+ owner and have had terrible problems with the motor.
It started cutting out about a month after I bought it. At first it seemed to be limited to people over about 80kg ,but progressively got worse.
The motor only restarts when you lift out of the seat and pedal, after seating it cuts out again,
Making matters worse, I imported the bike from Berlin, so have been told to remove the motor and send back for inspection.
Rotwild have no presence in Australia and Brose does not have an independent distributor. No-one here knows how to dismantle the motor.
Anyone have any reason why the Brose T appears to be so faulty?
That does not sound like a motor problem to me, more likely connections that are disturbed by suspension movement? I seem to recall the Rotwild battery is internal so it may be worth removing it and checking connections before the expense and delay of returning the motor. I had a Bulls/Brose and battery connections could be temperamental?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Check all external connectors on Motor have not worked loose. If it has dropper post check its cable where it runs around motor isn't interferring with wiring.

Reactions: Tom Rae
After 6000 km in 9 months. Motor is perfect, no troubles at all.

Ravin

Just Joined
Apr 6, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for this Tom, Richard,Trevor. I am a little hesitant to meddle with the battery given the implications for the warranty, but may have little choice. Does anyone have any instructions or a can they post a video on removing the Rotwild integrated battery?
Is their some kind of 'overload sensor' in the motor that is sensitive to vibrations coming into the motor from the seatpost above, that can become faulty?
Richard, what is the bike you have put 6000kms on?

Bruce Lee

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2016
Australia
So a Specialized Levo with Brose T purchased new and now with less than 1k of firm to hard riding... various overheating drop outs from motor in that time and now the motor has stripped something internally I think...
When pressure is applied to pedals there is no drive... just terrible grinding as the cranks turn. This occurs with or with out power on.
These manufacturers have designed great concepts but real world moderate use can destroy ebike motors easily.
Unfortunately dealers near me know nothing.
Hopefully the Brose S will last longer...

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
................................. Does anyone have any instructions or a can they post a video on removing the Rotwild integrated battery?....................................................................
You may find help with the Rotwild on a German pedelce forum via Google translate? https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php

Tom

Last edited:

cookiee

Aug 20, 2017
Australia Albany WA
So a Specialized Levo with Brose T purchased new and now with less than 1k of firm to hard riding... various overheating drop outs from motor in that time and now the motor has stripped something internally I think...
When pressure is applied to pedals there is no drive... just terrible grinding as the cranks turn. This occurs with or with out power on.
These manufacturers have designed great concepts but real world moderate use can destroy ebike motors easily.
So far so good with my 2018 Turbo Levo FSR Comp Carbon @ 2500km it has the Turbo 1.3 Rx Trail-tuned motor not sure if its the same as the Brose S.
The grinding sound with yours sounds like a sprag clutch failure not the belt, because there's no drive when applying pressure to the pedals, Specialized AU have said the motors have to go back to Germany for repairs and can't be serviced locally. Are you still in the two year warranty window ? if not that's going to be a pricey repair.

D

Deleted member 4366

The terrible grinding is more likely a hall sensor issue rather than anything mechanical. It may be something as simple as a connector not on properly, but you'd need to do some dismantling to get at the connectors.

cookiee

Aug 20, 2017
Australia Albany WA
The terrible grinding is more likely a hall sensor issue rather than anything mechanical. It may be something as simple as a connector not on properly, but you'd need to do some dismantling to get at the connectors.
Maybe I've miss-understood what Bruce Lee meant, but he said he has no drive even with the motor off (like the crank is just slipping and not driving the chain ring).

Bruce Lee

May 9, 2016
Australia
cookiee, yes correct the cranks rotate with bike stationary and do not engage any form of drive so clutch sounds most lekely.
Warranty period is going to be close.
I think it is very poor that these bikes are sold with a return to factory policy for motor.
The dealers should provide a loaner of same spec while waiting.
I have not found any Brose resellers to buy a replacement motor.
2018 Turbo Levo FSR Comp Carbon may be the replacement...LOL

cookiee

Aug 20, 2017
Australia Albany WA
cookiee, yes correct the cranks rotate with bike stationary and do not engage any form of drive so clutch sounds most lekely.
Warranty period is going to be close.
I think it is very poor that these bikes are sold with a return to factory policy for motor.
The dealers should provide a loaner of same spec while waiting.
I have not found any Brose resellers to buy a replacement motor.
2018 Turbo Levo FSR Comp Carbon may be the replacement...LOL
With any luck it's still in warranty and specialized should replace the motor with a new one not repair the old one.

Bruce Lee

May 9, 2016
Australia
Update:
Specialized are replacing motor under warranty but may have a bit of a wait if it comes from the factory...

cookiee

Aug 20, 2017
Australia Albany WA
Update:
Specialized are replacing motor under warranty but may have a bit of a wait if it comes from the factory...
Should ask them for the newer 1.3 motor, apparently from what I've read they fit straight in and you don't need to connect the handlebar controller for it to work.

Related Articles

Advertisers