Bulk Charging LiPos

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi folks,

I've been balance charging my LiPos using a BC168 balance charger. It's working well but is a bit fiddly and time consuming. I want to use the bike to commute when I'm happy with it, so a simpler charger set-up would be great.

Could I use on of these to bulk charge?

http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/164-alloy-shell-2000w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html

My hope is that I would simply unhook the pack and connect it up. I would then check the balance say once every 10 charges. Does this sound sensible?

One more thing. How does the charger above know how many cells you have, therefore what voltage to supply?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
You order one with the voltage you require.
As long as you have balance charged your pack a few times and it stays in balance then you can do as you suggest and maybe use this through the week then balance charge on a weekend.

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi Kinninvie,

Thanks for the reply.

It makes sense now. Do you bulk charge your big LiPos?

I've just noticed the charger I put a link too didn't say LiPo compatible. I need to fugure out if it is suitable.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I dont bulk charge mine at the moment because I only have 2 x 16Ah Multistars and 2 chargers so its easy enough to just use them.
I charge them as Li-Io rather than LiPo so they stop charging at 4.1V per cell rather than 4.2 as this will increase the cycle life of them.
I use the "fast" charge setting and check them with a battery medic to ensure they are balanced.
If they start to get out of balance I then balance charge them but have only had to do that once in over 40 charge cycles.
I would suggest you have a search on Endless Sphere for info on bulk chargers as there is lots of stuff on there and a lot cheaper than that charger.
When I get my next set of batteries it will probably be 9x 4 cell hardcase lipos so they will need bulk charging and I will use a Meanwell power supply for them.

Reactions: Storapa

Advertisers