Bulls Support - or not

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
On 24th August, whilst investigating a bearing creak on the frame, I misplaced (lost) one of the washers. I emailed the UK importers (not where I bought the bike), a replacement washer was not available and they put a bearing set on order for me from Bulls Germany as it was not a stock item. This slightly surprised me as mtb's are ridden in harsher environments and bearings are a maintenance issue.
On 20 September, nearly a month later, the set arrived (at a cost of £40) however it was the wrong one despite the fact that I included a photograph showing which bearing with my original request.
On the 21st I pointed this error out and the importer ordered another bearing set but, to date this has not arrived. I measured the lost washer and made a replacement so I have been able to use the bike meantime but I post this here because our bikes are quite expensive and I think it is quite reasonable to expect better service than this. I don't know where to point blame and I do not intend to do so but I mention this for anyone considering the Bulls brand in UK.
That said, I am pleased with the bike - so far.

Tom

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
haibike are not much better tbh but at least you got a reply as on my bike had to lock tight all the rear frame horse link bolts as otherwise they just fall out.

it is why i have cable ties through them just in case as there 30 quid each.

i have also lost the main pivot bolt and cost 25 quid for a new one as had to buy the hole thing and lock tight that as well.

so far so good ;)

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
After replacing the washer I did them up with a wee blob of Loctite and they have stayed tight - so far. I replaced the bearings anyway after packing the new ones with waterproof grease but they were sourced from my local bearing supplier.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think the bearing kit for my bike is like 140 quid yet a ktm is under 100 but still a rip off.

my ses wheel bearing dont last long at all but i get them of ebay for 2 quid as 10 from a ebike shop!

if you know the sizes just get them ur self as will save a fortune and i bet the dealers would not have a clue anyway to fit them.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Most bearings will actually have the number on them, if not, a bearing dealer should be able to measure them. Bulls charge £40 for a bearing set of two, I sourced better quality bearings from my local supplier at £2 each. My comment starting the thread was simply to warn people of the parts availability rather than pricing.
Tom

Reactions: E-Wheels

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-Spare-Parts/Haibike-xDuro-OEM-Swingarm-Kit

out of stock and cant even buy them less the bike from them sold as new.

my bike was from them but bought 2nd hand with 160 miles on it and he wont even sell parts to me :rolleyes:
Ha ha, how to succeed in business....... should be a tidy mark up on that too :)
Tom

PS all those bearings look the same and should be easily sourced, the other components are unlikely to wear quickly despite being aluminium, make sure you use copper ease or similar on assembly as there could possibly be a galvanic reaction.

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Premature bearing and bushing failure(s) are quite often a result of improperly torqued pivots/axles. Just as often from overtightening as from rattling loose. Get a quality torque wrench and check them regularly!

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Also, be sure to save your old bearings and other parts after your service job. A few may still be usable as "emergency replacements", and the others make for perfectly fit bearing presses....

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Premature bearing and bushing failure(s) are quite often a result of improperly torqued pivots/axles. Just as often from overtightening as from rattling loose. Get a quality torque wrench and check them regularly!
Though it is not the point of the thread, the retaining bolt had worked loose and I sorted it by a dab of Loctite however in the process I lost a washer. I replaced the bearings because I was in there anyway! I do have a torque wrench and regularly check the torque.

Tom

Reactions: Rick Bullotta

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Just out of interest my lappier is about 18 months old, and I have never had any of the bearings out to clean them or grease them up, is this something I need to do.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Just out of interest my lappier is about 18 months old, and I have never had any of the bearings out to clean them or grease them up, is this something I need to do.
Most of the bearings are only operating in a small trajectory and should be fine for a good long time, just keep GT85, WD 40 and the like clear of them as it disperses the grease which is not a good idea! Usually bearing wear will make it self obvious by play in the joint or damned creaking, worth checking for play every so often. Any sign of play is not good and I replace them at that point.

Tom

Reactions: Rick Bullotta

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
I've found that unless there's something wrong with them (gritty, noisy, loose), leave them alone! You'll just as likely damage them trying to service them.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom Rae

Related Articles

Advertisers