Buying my first e-bike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The effect from a hub motor is like someone pushing you at constant speed from the back. .. just like when you were a kid and getting a shunt. The effect from a mid motor is that your legs have just got a lot stronger.
that's is a gross approximation.
When did you ride a hub motor bike last?
Firstly, there are a lot more hub motor bikes sold than crank driven bikes.
Secondly, did you ask people who ride hub bikes if they feel 'like someone pushing you at constant speed from the back'?
I am not against the crank drive bikes at all in case you wonder.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
that's is a gross approximation.
When did you ride a hub motor bike last?
Firstly, there are a lot more hub motor bikes sold than crank driven bikes.
Secondly, did you ask people who ride hub bikes if they feel 'like someone pushing you at constant speed from the back'?
I am not against the crank drive bikes at all in case you wonder.
I have both a hub motor and a crank motor. The hub motor is of 2007 vintage.. UrbanMover um20 and I use it regularly. It was my only ebike until September 2016.. the battery don't hold much charge now but it's grand for the short hop 500 metres to the shop and back for milk.
I agree that there are a lot more hub bikes sold. Cost matters and they are no less reliable, so what's not to like? I think that Woosh is a very good description of the sensation from the hub motor. The crank motor is more like bionic legs.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
a lot of improvement has been brought into hub motors since you bought your UM20. Until last year, if you want torque, you have to have a crank drive. I sold about as many CD bikes as hub bikes in 2014, 15 and 16. Only the last 12 months I see my hub bikes outselling my CD bikes.
Motors like the one on your UM20 is similar to those 120mm diameter, running with a 9AH battery on a 10A controller capable of 20-25NM. Now you have new remarkable motors like the Bafang G06 that can output 80NM directly at the wheels and run very quietly too (<55dB). You should try the G06 to appreciate the improvement. I have it on my Rio fat bike and nearly every day I receive emails reporting how impressed my customers are by it.

Take a look at the specs.

http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/motor/rm-g06250dc.html

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
The effect from a hub motor is like someone pushing you at constant speed from the back. .. just like when you were a kid and getting a shunt. The effect from a mid motor is that your legs have just got a lot stronger.
This is true, but only when a hub motor is combined with a cadence sensor.

When a torque sensor is used (as on the higher end mid-drive motors) the effect is much more like those bionic legs you describe.

So by combining a (good) torque sensor and (good) hub motor there is no difference in the responsiveness of a hub drive bike with that of a Bosch mid-driven bike, for instance. The speed range is smooth and directly relates to effort, whilst a cadence sensored bike provides just a limited number of speeds, usually 3, 5 or less often, 9 and ignores the effort of the cyclist, simply noticing if the pedals are being turned.

Some cheaper mid-drive motors also use cadence sensors (often also called "speed sensors") and provide that same "shunted" feel.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes
D

Deleted member 4366

What you feel is a result of the control system. It's nothing to do with the type of motor. Your Urban Mover has a very old-fashioned control system that is hardly used on modern e-bikes with hub-motors.

• Agree

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
The effect from a hub motor is like someone pushing you at constant speed from the back. .. just like when you were a kid and getting a shunt
If you want it to be that it can be, equally so if you want to put some effort in and frankly on a very steep hill I have to put considerable effort in despite the motor, your legs are still getting plenty of exercise.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What you feel is a result of the control system. It's nothing to do with the type of motor. Your Urban Mover has a very old-fashioned control system that is hardly used on modern e-bikes with hub-motors.
Ok that sounds reasonable. But I wasn't suggesting that this push in the back was unpleasant or anything.. ,

Reactions: JuicyBike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ok that sounds reasonable. But I wasn't suggesting that this push in the back was unpleasant or anything.. ,
the feel of bionic legs that you have with CD motors is the same with rear hub motors. It's the front motor that gives a different feel to normal cycling.
PS:
I think the feeling that 'someone pushing you at constant speed from the back' is likely to be produced by bikes with low torque, they can't produce fast acceleration and are less responsive in comparison.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
This is true, but only when a hub motor is combined with a cadence sensor.

When a torque sensor is used (as on the higher end mid-drive motors) the effect is much more like those bionic legs you describe.

So by combining a (good) torque sensor and (good) hub motor there is no difference in the responsiveness of a hub drive bike with that of a Bosch mid-driven bike, for instance.
100% agree Bob, as long as you say that the hub drive bike has a decent torque sensor. The only real difference is the hub motor is normally quieter and when it's situated on the rear wheel the rider can hardly hear it at all. Very much like riding a vanilla bike with bionic legs!

All the best, David