Byocycle or Carrera Crosscity

Chester Willam Blake

Just Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Hello guys,

This is my first post, I have tried search the forums to see if this has been posted before. So I really apologise if it has.

Basically I am moving to Edinburgh next month. I currently have a car, but I have discovered that parking in Edinburgh city is a big no no. So I will be commuting from one of the many Park and Rides. So a fold up bike is important to me.

I've really settled on two choices. The Carrera Crosscity from Halfords or the Byocycle CitySpeed 20 from e-bikesdirect.co.uk

I currently get a 15% discount at Halfords through work, this is what helped my search. I wanted to know what everyones opinions and experiences are with these two e-bikes.

Thank you all in advanced.

Chester

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
What precisely do you want a folder for?

Any folded ebike is still an unwieldy lump, fine for occasional lifitng in and out of the boot of a car, but not much else.

The notion of popping on and off public transport with one sounds attractive, but does not work in reality.

A converted Brompton might work, but you will still have a lump of a bike and several kilos of battery in a shoulder bag.

http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/

Chester Willam Blake

Just Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I need a
What precisely do you want a folder for?

Any folded ebike is still an unwieldy lump, fine for occasional lifitng in and out of the boot of a car, but not much else.

The notion of popping on and off public transport with one sounds attractive, but does not work in reality.

A converted Brompton might work, but you will still have a lump of a bike and several kilos of battery in a shoulder bag.

http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/
I need a folder because Ill be travelling on train at a moments notice. I'm not able to do reservations.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Neither of the folders you mention are much good for lifting on and off a train regularly.

Not least because getting to and from the train may involve steps, ramps, lifts and the like.

That''s my view, but at the very least you ought to nip into Halfords anc trying folding/unfolding the bike several times and try carrying it up and down stairs.

Chester Willam Blake

Just Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Neither of the folders you mention are much good for lifting on and off a train regularly.

Not least because getting to and from the train may involve steps, ramps, lifts and the like.

That''s my view, but at the very least you ought to nip into Halfords anc trying folding/unfolding the bike several times and try carrying it up and down stairs.
I'll only be unfolding it at my car, It'll stay unfolded at the station as I will be putting in the racks. I'll need it to fold up for when I travel back to London to see family. They don't live near any stations. It'll save me money on cabs, plus I don't fancy driving my car down.

Chester

Last edited: