C2W scheme best value currently

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
Just found out my work is now running a C2W scheme but this is only open until the end of the month. I've been told this is a standard £1000 scheme and I would appreciate some ideas and suggestions of current available bikes up to around or just over that amount please.

I commute 10 miles each way 5 days a week and would love to be able to use an electric bike for at least a couple of days a week through the milder months. My car is very uneconomical on fuel and i'm sure the bike would pay for itself within a reasonable time and the cost is reduced by about 40% so the 1000 costs roughly 600 payable over 12 monthly instalments.

So what do I need, well you tell me, I'd not really thought of getting an electric bike until now...

I think quality and reliability are important factors.

Thanks

Mark

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just found out my work is now running a C2W scheme but this is only open until the end of the month. I've been told this is a standard £1000 scheme and I would appreciate some ideas and suggestions of current available bikes up to around or just over that amount please.

I commute 10 miles each way 5 days a week and would love to be able to use an electric bike for at least a couple of days a week through the milder months. My car is very uneconomical on fuel and i'm sure the bike would pay for itself within a reasonable time and the cost is reduced by about 40% so the 1000 costs roughly 600 payable over 12 monthly instalments.

So what do I need, well you tell me, I'd not really thought of getting an electric bike until now...

I think quality and reliability are important factors.

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark,

If quality and reliability are your key factors then take a search on here.
Your search will come back to buying a crank drive electric bike.
Unfortunately these come a little over your £1000 C2W scheme.
Although we can put the first £1000 towards your ebike and top the rest up outside of the scheme.

If you would like any more information on crank drive bikes please visit my website, have a good read on there.

Better still pop in store where we can have a coffee, discuss your requirements and better still get you out riding a few of the models to compare for your self.

If you would like any more information regarding eBikes or the scheme please don't hesitate to contact me..

Regards
Martin

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
Hi Martin, thanks for the reply, I'll search for crank drive bikes as suggested.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Mark you need to be careful paying more than the maximum allowed under the scheme. The rules are clear and you could be committing a serious offence if you pay separately in addition to using your voucher. The likelyhood of being caught is low, but the offence serious for both the trader and employee.
BEBA and others are seeking to raise the limit of the scheme but right now it stands at £1000

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hullo Mark and welcome to the forum!
You must know first of all that what you are thinking of doing is entirely natural even praiseworthy but as the man from Juicybike says, entirely illegal!
Nevertheless as we all now know the law is a donkey's ass so welcome to the dark and murky world of de ebike speed freeks and know now my friend that once your in you are never out! Though there are many of us here who would ride out one summer's morn like their making way for a vicar's visit, we are seedy souls all, who generally ride by night and flit from ther tae next wi eyeballs blink. But Mark for you my word is this is heed not martin of bikeshop bliss, he 'll sell you crank he'll sell you hub, the bottom line's his only rub!

moral: be smart buy a Tonaro.

apologies rab et martin@haibikesareboggin.com

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Might be to your advantage to see what d8veh thinks of the new woosh - He's promised a review, hopefully by the weekend.

Watch this forum

D

Deleted member 4366

Welcome to the forum. You've made a good start by introducing yourself and what you want to achieve; however, that's enough to be able to make realistic recommendations.

For £1000, there's loads of bikes to choose from. Most in that price range have hub-motors, which may be more suitable for your riding. I don't know why people are recommending crank-drives because you haven't given us enough to say which is most suitable.

You should start by telling us your weight, your fitness and how hilly your journeys are likely to be, then we can narrow down the choice a bit. How good are you at fixing things? Where do you live?

You mentioned a "quality" bike, but "quality" has a different meaning to different people. Do you mean reliable, durable, high specification, fitness for purpose or what?

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
Martin,
"Unfortunately these come a little over your £1000 C2W scheme" I've looked on your site and it appears the range starts at £1599 with the 26V Dover. Is this your entry point machine?

Maybe I should look at a hub drive as these appear to be a lot closer to the £1000, although would this be false economy??

Must say I smiled when I saw the 'Bosch Tuning Dongle', now that sounds like fun although possibly quite scary!!

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
Hi d8veh,
You should start by telling us your weight: 100kg
your fitness: No aches, pains or bits falling off. I take the dog out walking for about an hour a day
how hilly your journeys are likely to be: to work and back is not very hilly at all
How good are you at fixing things?: Not too bad, used to be a motor vehicle technician
Where do you live?: Dorset

You mentioned a "quality" bike, but "quality" has a different meaning to different people. Do you mean reliable, durable, high specification, fitness for purpose or what?: Reliable, durable and fit for purpose. Bells and whistles are not important.

Last edited:

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin,
"Unfortunately these come a little over your £1000 C2W scheme" I've looked on your site and it appears the range starts at £1599 with the 26V Dover. Is this your entry point machine?

Maybe I should look at a hub drive as these appear to be a lot closer to the £1000, although would this be false economy??

Must say I smiled when I saw the 'Bosch Tuning Dongle', now that sounds like fun although possibly quite scary!!
Hi Mrke,

Yes I can confirm the Dover is the entry level model @ £1599
If your budget is stuck at £1000 then I suggest looking at something more within your grasp.
As for a false economy, I refer back to the old saying - 'You pay for what you get'.
Buy good once, rather than buy on a budget twice!

The bosch tuning dongles are not for the fain hearted! Maybe not something you would need at this present time.

Where are you based?

Also take on board what Dave says above^^ he is a genuine guy who could offer you some un-biased information, based on your requirements..

Regards
Martin

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
also check out the actual savings on bike under C2W . Remember at end of scheme you have to buy the bike from your company and not for a nominal fee (Taxman closed that loophole a few years ago.) meaning the saving can be far less than you expect.

A better bike on 0% finance may be the better option in the long run.

more info here

Guide To The Cycle To Work Scheme - BikeRadar

Last edited:

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
Hi Garry - thanks for that; I've emailed asking the question of final payment. I didn't know it was the case this is required...

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Had a reply already - No final payment to make in this case. :)
Love to know how as unless over 5 years seems to be no legal way out of this.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Love to know how as unless over 5 years seems to be no legal way out of this.
Some big employers in the UK do run there own schemes that allow slightly different guidelines.
For example the usual maximum certificate amount is £1000, but we had a BA pilot in the other day, his employer allowed him to spend up to £5000.. :)

But you are right Garry in the fact that the majority of schemes now have a final amount to pay, at the end of the year.

Regards
Martin

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Some big employers in the UK do run there own schemes that allow slightly different guidelines.
For example the usual maximum certificate amount is £1000, but we had a BA pilot in the other day, his employer allowed him to spend up to £5000.. :)

But you are right Garry in the fact that the majority of schemes now have a final amount to pay, at the end of the year.

Regards
Martin
not sure how £5000 but £4500 is allowed if employee has a consumer credit license which I bet BA have. may be limit has been increased.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
If the employer swallows a loss of tax savings on the marginal additional cost of bikes of higher values on behalf of both employer and employee there's probably a way around even the £4.5k. Big companies may well go down those tracks for personnel they want to keep happy.

All an employer needs to allow bikes of >£1k up to £4.5k is a CCL. This is dead easy to obtain for any business but most can't be bothered to try as getting one on account of cycle2work is usually not at the top of their priority list. Usual story !