Camera's

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
Hi,

Looking to get the Duchess a birthday present (I really owe her at the moment) so thought about a camera she could clip onto the handlebars of her beloved bike, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't wear a helmet one.

Don't know too much about them so would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. I guess one of the things it would need is a fairly good battery to get a decent recording time.

Thanks for any help.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hi,

Looking to get the Duchess a birthday present (I really owe her at the moment) so thought about a camera she could clip onto the handlebars of her beloved bike, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't wear a helmet one.

Don't know too much about them so would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. I guess one of the things it would need is a fairly good battery to get a decent recording time.

Thanks for any help.
Look up techmoan.com. He is a British based reviewer of gadgets including action cams. There is a link dedicated to these on his main page. I bought mine two years ago and it was everything he said it was. These cams have come a way since then so you should be able to find one that meets your needs.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

SJCAM M20 is pretty good at £90. It has the giro stabiliser and 2k resolution. the battery lasts about 90 mins recording at 2k 30 fps. I take a spare for 3 hour rides, though you can power it by USB from a separate powerpack if you want. It does rolling-road recording, so you don't need to delete anything.

here's some footage I took on my road bike, so it's a bit more bumpy than an MTB with suspension forks, and it's been cut down to 1080P by Youtube. the original is higher resolution at 2k.

Last edited by a moderator:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Look up techmoan.com. He is a British based reviewer of gadgets including action cams. There is a link dedicated to these on his main page. I bought mine two years ago and it was everything he said it was. These cams have come a way since then so you should be able to find one that meets your needs.
Totally agree re Techmoan. Very good impartial reviews based on a lot of experience.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
SJCAM M20 is pretty good at £90. It has the giro stabiliser and 2k resolution. the battery lasts about 90 mins recording at 2k 30 fps. I take a spare for 3 hour rides, though you can power it by USB from a separate powerpack if you want. It does rolling-road recording, so you don't need to delete anything.

here's some footage I took on my road bike, so it's a bit more bumpy than an MTB with suspension forks, and it's been cut down to 1080P by Youtube. the original is higher resolution at 2k.

Oh dear flecc might think you were going to fast close to those pedestrians at the start

Reactions: Emo Rider

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
SJCAM M20 is pretty good at £90.
Ordered one and it's turned up this morning. Nice bit of kit. It didn't like any of the 4gb cards out of my car camera's, so I popped across to a well known electrical retailers and treated it to a 32gb Sandisk and it's much happier. Itching to try it out, but the weather's dreadful. Am I wrong, or, in the multitude of adapters, is there no quick release plate that mates with the handle bar mount?

Gaz

Reactions: Emo Rider

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Useful
Reactions: Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Had a closer than comfortable one on the way home:

I'm wondering if I should change the camera settings to improve the resolution to get number plates. To be fair it was wet and the light was fading.

Can any experienced M20 users advise what settings they've found best?

Ta

Gaz

• Agree

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Personally I wouldn't get stressed and hung up over trying to prosecute every **** car driver you come across. Just accept they are out there on the road and you will come across them from time to time, and enjoy your ride.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is plenty of room on the pavement and no speed limit ;)

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I'm wondering if I should change the camera settings to improve the resolution to get number plates. To be fair it was wet and the light was fading.
The picture seems worse than the resolution would suggest. Do you have the camera in a crappy plastic housing perhaps? Maybe it's just the mist and moisture that's the problem.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
problem is the poor light and the conditions at night even with a light my action cam is useless.

• Informative
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
Saw a nice one in my LBS today - a combined light/camera. Looked to have excellent video quality on it. 400 lumens light too... thought it was a good idea. Can't remember the make though, or the price!

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Saw a nice one in my LBS today - a combined light/camera. Looked to have excellent video quality on it. 400 lumens light too... thought it was a good idea. Can't remember the make though, or the price!
Cycliq Fly 12 Circa £250/275 ?

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Personally I wouldn't get stressed and hung up over trying to prosecute every **** car driver you come across. Just accept they are out there on the road and you will come across them from time to time, and enjoy your ride.
Neither stressed, nor hung up on it. As a very new and inexperienced user of this type of camera, I'd like to ensure I've got the camera settings at their optimal on the off chance that if an event happens that could do with recorded evidence it's the best it could be. This clip suggests I haven't quite sussed it yet. I've had front and rear Blackvue's in my cars for over five years, and haven't reported anyone yet.

Do you have the camera in a crappy plastic housing perhaps? Maybe it's just the mist and moisture that's the problem.
It is in a plastic housing, although I wouldn't describe it as crappy. The plastic that's in front of the camera's lens is very clear indeed, but the moisture undoubtedly had an effect on the overall quality.

The camera resolution is currently set at 1080P 60fps, but I wondered if 2k 30fps, or 4k 24fps would be better? 120fps is only optioned at 720P, which I'm guessing would be a sharper image at a reduced pixel quality - or have I got that round the wrong way?

Whatever happened to the nice choices of low, medium and high, for the luddites like me?:rolleyes:

Gaz