Can anyone recommend a good bike for hill climbing and distance

D

Deleted member 4366

There are lots of Chinese bikes out there without ever experiencing spoke breaking, so the issue is not 'poor quality' spokes.
I agree with most of what you wrote in the previous post. I think that you have the right idea, but seeing as they're breaking and causing a lot of dissatisfaction they are ipso facto bad quality. I think what you're trying to say is that cheap spokes are not necessarily bad quality. In China, some of the manufacturing facilities do not use proper quality controls, so the parameters of the materials that they use are variable. you can alter the characteristics of any steel by changing very slightly any of the ingredients or the heat treatment. With inadequate quality controls in the spoke making processes, it's also possible to change the material properties. The end result is that most cheap Chinese stainless spokes don't break, but some do. I know some manufacturers have had batches of bikes where everything is OK, then all of a sudden one batch starts to show breaking spokes. You can put the two side-by side and you can't see a difference, but somewhere there is a difference. It only takes the slightest blemish on the bending tool, and you can reduce the life of the bend by 1000%. Then there's the hardness of the material. Too hard, and the same result. There's so many possibilities. As a user, keeping your spokes adequately and evenly tensioned helps. If you don't tension loose spokes, some will surely beak, but if you do all that and they still break, time to start again with some new ones. I must admit that I'm a little suspicious about the repairs done to the wheel in question, because a rebuild with new spokes normally fixes it.

To finish, I'm 100kg, and I use my bike for everything, including carrying 20kg of shopping back from the supermarket, lots of rough off-road riding, jumping off curbs, etc, and sometimes all of those things at once. My cheap Chinese spokes don't break. My motor is the same as what they fit in some of the Neos.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
but you look after your spokes and keep them under even tension.
Many users just don't have the time or the skill for it. For a commuting bike, you will want a bike requiring as little maintenance as possible.

Peter56

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 30, 2013
Hi I have just received the KTM Sport plus 10-400 and have ridden
On a few long steep hills near where I live in County Durham and I am
Very pleased with the way this machine has performed ,
To be honest this Ebike just eats hills. A great bike.....
Pete

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Pete
A nice bike, certainly one at the top of my list if I was in the market for a new bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Pete
Very smart, I quite fancy a go on that and we are not so many miles apart.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Specifications:

Top Speed: 45-MPH (tested)

range 30-miles (estimated normal riding)

weight- 116 lbs

Battery: 72V / 10-aH LiFePO4 (claimed to be good for 1000 charges)bomber.jpg