Can the Gtech go up hills?

MiffyWiffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2017
uk
I'm going to wait to see if they have a free battery offer this Christmas again, but I am interested in one to get to work. I'm only wanting a second battery because work is 20 miles away and one is probably not going to cut it there and back.

However I have lots of steep hills between myself and work; I have a road Bike but it kills me every day and I stink so much lol. I was just wondering if the Gtech can handle hills? I really don't want gears and all that because they require so much maintenance; I bought a Carbon Road Bike and I'm always trying to sort the gears out... I dunno who though Indexed gears were good? I think Friction are far better!

Any ways...

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'm going to wait to see if they have a free battery offer this Christmas again, but I am interested in one to get to work. I'm only wanting a second battery because work is 20 miles away and one is probably not going to cut it there and back.

However I have lots of steep hills between myself and work; I have a road Bike but it kills me every day and I stink so much lol. I was just wondering if the Gtech can handle hills? I really don't want gears and all that because they require so much maintenance; I bought a Carbon Road Bike and I'm always trying to sort the gears out... I dunno who though Indexed gears were good? I think Friction are far better!

Any ways...
.. modern middle of the road indexed gamers are fine and robust, I cannot see why you would have trouble with them I have done 1000 miles without any adjustment and expect to continue indefinitely. The possibility that comes to mind is that since you have a carbon framed bike, that everything on it is race grade and optimised for Weight reduction not durability.
Put simply you need gears or you will be putting unnecessary strain on the motor.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Not sure a Gtech would be right for your commute. I'd be looking for something more appropriate with a decent battery that'd get you there and back.
Having said that, a second charger might answer your range concerns.

Gaz

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire

Any ways...
Hi MW
How many gears do you have on your road bike?

You may like to consider that an electric bike needs far fewer gears than a traditional bike.
Often eRiders use only 2 or 3 because of the electric assist.
An electric bike is often more cost-effective to manufacture with 6 gears, or perhaps 8, rather than any less, with just the chainwheel at the front.
This makes gear setting and adjustment much easier.

• Useful

MiffyWiffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2017
uk
This post is already out of date for me lol, I went to Halfords and saw a 10% off Voucher... they allowed me to use it and got their E Bike for £860.

• Informative

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
This post is already out of date for me lol, I went to Halfords and saw a 10% off Voucher... they allowed me to use it and got their E Bike for £860.
Blimey, quick work fella. Crossfire-e ? If so good choice, love mine.

If your reasonably fit (which I guess you are if you have previously cycled 40 miles round trip to work on a normal bike), you should be able to get to work and back on a single charge on eco setting with the occasional boost for hills on the crossfire-e

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Bikes without gears are like a car without gears....you have to compromise between very high ratio,like driving a car permanently in top gear,difficult to hill start but ok once you get up to speed.
Or you have a low ratio,which means your legs are in high cadence even for modest speeds but pulling away on a hill is ok.
We (Kudos) have only one e-bike without gears,that is the K16,it has a low ratio and because of the 16" wheels is a strong hillclimber ,the nature of the bike is a very light commuter bike,high speed was never considered a priority.
KudosDave

• Informative