Can upgrade to lekkie ring wait a few weeks?

krzychoniusz

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
London
Benefits of upgrading the stock ring to lekkie are extensively covered on this forum and I will be upgrading to lekkie at some point for sure, but given a tight budget do you think I need to get BBSHD with lekkie ring immediately or can it wait a few weeks until I save up the extra? I read some stories of users having chains drop every few miles and if that's what it means to have the stock ring then I'd stretch my budget and get it now, but I was hoping there is someone out there who still uses stock chainring happily without major issues. Any advice?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Depends on your bike and the chainline you will have. Do it if you aren't sure.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Bottom bracket alignment is down to spacers and a large slice of luck [ or the angle grinder in extreme cases :eek:]
Just remember when you do get one the lekkie 42 teeth makes for good alignment any thing smaller is a potential problem
I have a collection of adaptors and smaller chain wheels 36 t 38 t 40t that do not align even though the retailers state better fit/ alignment you can also try a chain guide

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It helps if you have a 7 speed cassette spaced out from the hub like in my case. The chain only ever falls off the big chain ring onto the small one and always when changing gear on bumpy sections of road.

krzychoniusz

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
London
The donor bike is Scott Aspect 960 29er with 7-speed cassette, I suppose 7S cassette would help due to more generous spacing in between cogs? Does the chain ever fall off not during gear changes?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The donor bike is Scott Aspect 960 29er with 7-speed cassette, I suppose 7S cassette would help due to more generous spacing in between cogs? Does the chain ever fall off not during gear changes?
Nope, why would it?

In fact it isn't the width of the cogs it is because there is a spacer on the hub which is an 8-9 speed hub as most are these days. The cassette is thus the equivalent of a cog further outboard.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Last edited: