Can you help please.

Brian G

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 5, 2017
Kent
Hello all. I am looking to buy an e bike but unfortunately, and mostly for medical reasons, I have some quite specific requirements.

The bike needs to fold and have a very low frame that I can step through. It needs to have a twist style gear change and hub type gears (I apologise as I am not familiar with correct cycling terminology). I would like to be able to travel up to 30 miles although I would be pedalling rather than letting the bike do all of the work. I weigh approx 108kgs.

I would also like, although these are not essential, a throttle, mudguards and a rear luggage rack.

If anybody is able to make any suggestions I would be extremely grateful. I am aware of the Batribike Sigma which seems to do almost all of the above but it would be nice to have some alternatives.

Thank you for your time and help.

Brian G

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would suggest the Zephyr C but the range is a bit short, due to its 10.4AH battery. It has twist style gear shift, is low enough to step through.
Fitted with carbon belt drive, racks, mudguards, lights.
Price: £799

Zephyr-C:

If you want more comfortable riding 30 miles in one trip and better range, the full sus, folding Zephyr 2017 is better, battery 12.5AH but it's not step through.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2017

• Informative
Reactions: Brian G

Brian G

Jul 5, 2017
Kent
Thank you Woosh. It's kind of you to take the time to reply. The Zephyr C comes very close to ideal but I think that, as low as the bar is, it is still a little high for my needs. I couldn't find it on the website to have a proper read.

The gale is probably closer to the shape I want but, of course there are other things about it that aren't suitable - Which is what I'm finding all the time.

Once again thank you for trying.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I would say you're spoiled for choice. Have you looked at Freego, Wisper, Battribike or our own Juicy bikes? Or any of the brands advertising on these forums.

When you see one you like the look of, go take a test ride to make sure the bike actually does fit you and feels comfortable to ride. Not all will.

A stockist offering test rides is the thing you should be looking for - one that has a range of bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What about a Brompton conversion??
108kgs, 30 miles on a 16" bike without suspension? what about your arthritic hips and joints?

• Informative

Brian G

Jul 5, 2017
Kent
Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help.

Just to clarify - At the moment I have a Byocycle City Speed 20" folder which I bought about 2 years ago from E Bikes Direct but have hardly used mainly because I now find it very difficult to get on and off (because these days I can't get my leg over - cue giggles ). I invariably ride in the 1st level of pedal assist and generally find that, from the moment I ride away and the assist kicks in, I am playing catch up with the gears until I reach 6th (the highest) and of course have to reverse the process when slowing. My impaired dexterity makes the action of pressing the button and moving the lever a little tricky so I would like a hub gear which - I think - will allow me to go from the gear I am in directly to the gear that I need. I hope that makes sense.

My wife has also just learned to ride - at the age of 60! - and finds gears a little daunting. I am therefore looking for 2 new bikes with the sort of spec I have described and hoping that I can find a dealer who may take my current bike for a few pennies in part exchange and maybe give a few pounds discount for a double sale.

At the moment I can still only find the Batribike Sigma that fits the bill but I just want to see if there are any alternatives before taking the plunge.

Thank you all once again for your help.

Brian

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
May I suggest a Wisper 806se? It has oversized tyres to give a very comfortable ride and a very low step through. All good quality components.

806se 1.jpg

Or if budget allows, the near silent 806Torque with torque and cadence sensors for immediate power as you push down on the pedals, excellent lights and a very high torque motor for those hills!

806 Torque 2.jpg

All the best, David

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I invariably ride in the 1st level of pedal assist and generally find that, from the moment I ride away and the assist kicks in, I am playing catch up with the gears until I reach 6th (the highest) and of course have to reverse the process when slowing. My impaired dexterity makes the action of pressing the button and moving the lever a little tricky so I would like a hub gear which - I think - will allow me to go from the gear I am in directly to the gear that I need. I hope that makes sense.
Brian, you may find that a crank drive bike would suit your style of riding better. Bikes like you Byocycle have hub motors, you would be better off sticking to one assist level and one gear that gives you the most natural cadence. Use the throttle to start from standstill or to boost the power when necessary.

Brian G

Jul 5, 2017
Kent
May I suggest a Wisper 806se? It has oversized tyres to give a very comfortable ride and a very low step through. All good quality components.

View attachment 20053

Or if budget allows, the near silent 806Torque with torque and cadence sensors for immediate power as you push down on the pedals, excellent lights and a very high torque motor for those hills!

View attachment 20054

All the best, David
Hello David and thank you for taking the time to reply. It's quite spooky that you should post this as I have just noticed the 806 Torque on E Bikes Direct website and it appears to fit the bill and give me another option. BUT now I'm really confused as you have posted a picture showing derailleurs, which I don't want, whereas their webpage shows hub gears -which I do. Are both versions available and does this also apply to the SE? Also may I ask if they have a throttle?

Thank you once again for your time.

Brian

Brian G

Jul 5, 2017
Kent
Brian, you may find that a crank drive bike would suit your style of riding better. Bikes like you Byocycle have hub motors, you would be better off sticking to one assist level and one gear that gives you the most natural cadence. Use the throttle to start from standstill or to boost the power when necessary.
Thank you for your advice. That seems very interesting. Are you able to recommend a crank drive that would fit the bill?

Thank you once again

Brian

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you have to pop into a shop and try out a couple.

The Woosh Zephyr CDN would have fit this requirement but we don't have any in stock at the moment.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-cdn

• Informative

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hello David and thank you for taking the time to reply. It's quite spooky that you should post this as I have just noticed the 806 Torque on E Bikes Direct website and it appears to fit the bill and give me another option. BUT now I'm really confused as you have posted a picture showing derailleurs, which I don't want, whereas their webpage shows hub gears -which I do. Are both versions available and does this also apply to the SE? Also may I ask if they have a throttle?

Thank you once again for your time.

Brian
Hi Brian, we changed from hub drive to derailleure recently because, due to the high torque motor we use, the front wheel could spin in the wet or on gravel.

EBD may well have a hub gear model left in stock, however I would advise always to start of in levels 1 or 2 never in 3 or 4!

All the best, David

Brian G

Jul 5, 2017
Kent
Hi Brian, we changed from hub drive to derailleure recently because, due to the high torque motor we use, the front wheel could spin in the wet or on gravel.

EBD may well have a hub gear model left in stock, however I would advise always to start of in levels 1 or 2 never in 3 or 4!

All the best, David
Thank you once again David.

Brian

seanwang199037

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2017
Cardiff
Hello all. I am looking to buy an e bike but unfortunately, and mostly for medical reasons, I have some quite specific requirements.

The bike needs to fold and have a very low frame that I can step through. It needs to have a twist style gear change and hub type gears (I apologise as I am not familiar with correct cycling terminology). I would like to be able to travel up to 30 miles although I would be pedalling rather than letting the bike do all of the work. I weigh approx 108kgs.

I would also like, although these are not essential, a throttle, mudguards and a rear luggage rack.

If anybody is able to make any suggestions I would be extremely grateful. I am aware of the Batribike Sigma which seems to do almost all of the above but it would be nice to have some alternatives.

Thank you for your time and help.

Brian G
Introducing the Smacircle S1, the world’s most compact and lightweight (only 15.4lbs) backpack e-scooter.
No need to get the subway or spend money on parking, the carbon fiber S1 is folded in five simple steps and is light enough to fit in a backpack. City travel can now be easy and fun.
Feature rich with iOS and Android apps it is ideal for the connected commuter.
More information: https://www.smacircle.com/