cant decide what kit to buy

johny

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
nottingham
hiya ive narrowed it down to 2 kits. want kit to do at least 20mph +
woosh bpm
oxidrive cst

i have not bought bike yet to put kit on its either going to be a boardman or carrera i think. i no i could buy carrera already done but with reading many people saying wished for bit more speed rather than 15mph. so ive decided to build my own. il be using bike for work around 15mile round trip. few not so steep hills just everyday use wont be doing off road as such. just cycle paths canal paths.
im 15stone around 5ft 9 ish. any input would be helpfull thanks

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BPM kit will go up to 19.5mph a bit more if a strong peddler,
Oxy kit up to 24.3pmh on my bike in top assist again you do need to peddle hard and fast to achieve this.
Both if run at 48v will give approx. 25% more speed and improve torque, you would need to check controllers for 63 v capacitors.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and johny

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there isn't much difference between the BPM and SWX02C kits.
the top speed depends mainly on how many teeth you have on the smallest rear sprocket. If you fit Shimano freewheel, you have 14T on the smallest sprocket, Shimano freehub, 11T. You can pedal faster with 11T than 14T. To get to the same speed, fit DNP 11T-32T freewheel instead of Shimano.
That's what I fitted to the Rio MTB which runs on SWX02.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
15st is average, not heavy. You don't need the BPM. The SWX02C is 1 kg lighter.

johny

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
nottingham
thanks reply so quick so the sw02 kit i no limit is 15mph but what could i get out of it normal peddling top speed average

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
whats best kit for normal peddling
Normal for one rider is different to another.
17/18mph isn't a problem for a regular fairly fit rider on a flatish terrain, give a bit more input and speed will be a bit higher.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The lightest one is the best one. You can chuck 48 V at a swx02 and get about as much power as a BPM. Cassette motors are more practical than screw on freewheels and there is a wider choice of gearing - sunrace 11-40 8 speed cassette is all the gears you will ever need on a pedelec.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's not easy for first time builders to mix and match.
if the OP wanted to buy a kit from me, that will be a 36V BPM or XF08CST.
I don't keep 48V kits for some time now.

D

Deleted member 4366

The thing you need to get right is the motor speed. That's what decides how fast you go. the BPM comes in lots of different flavours. The speeds range from 15 mph to 30 mph in 9 steps, so you need to know which one the seller is selling. Then there are two different power ratings - 250/350W and 500W. With a 20 amp controller, the power will be the same, but the 500W one can handle 30 amps, while as the 350W one gets saturated at about 22 amps.

First, you decide what you want your modal cycling speed to be, then you chose a motor with a maximum speed about 25% higher unless you want your motor just for climbing, in which case you choose a low-speed version.

• Informative

johny

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
nottingham
ive just bought this bike second hand of ebay good price i think
Cube SL Road Hybrid 2017
will the woosh bpm or swx rear kit fit it ok.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Johny,

The Cube SL Road Hybrid 2017 is a very smart bike. 700C wheels, 8-speed cassette, hydraulic brakes.

I can supply you with a rear BPM kit and 13AH or 15AH HL downtube battery for £549 (with 13AH battery) or £599 (with 15AH) including a DNP 8-speed freewheel (to replace the 8-speed cassette) and courier delivery. Unfortunately, I don't have the hydraulic brake sensors for your bike.

johny

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
nottingham
thanks for reply will the kit go on this bike ok and you can supply everything i need execpt brake sensor have you got link where i could buy one from thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can supply everything to make the job dead easy except for the brake sensors.

The problem is like this:

The kits I sell have 2-pin brake sensor connector, signal and ground. These connectors are usually coloured red, like this:

The hydraulic brake sensor have usually 3-pin 5V, signal and ground. Their connectors are yellow, like this:

They cannot be mixed.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A road bike doesn't need hydraulic disk brakes front and rear. A mechanical rear disk brake is plenty enough. There are plenty of howto videos on fitting a switch to your existing brake levers if you are a bit of a handyman.

A rear hub motor does not need brakes switches if you are not fitting a throttle.