Careers vengeance hard work pedalling!

Rick Oshea

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2018
Hi everyone.I've just joined today after buying a halfords vengeance.the motor is fantastic but its extremely hard to pedal as a normal bike.there is a noticeable resistance from the hub.As I've only just bought it 3 days ago can anyone advise me.Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What yo feel as resistance is mostly the extra bike weight in the wheel you are trying to propel and is normal, though some hubs take awhile to loosen up/become easier to pedal.

It should be easier to ride with no power on at all and with the battery switched off, any resistance may be electrical from the controller to phase wiring, so the battery needs switching off to close the circuit.

My bafang cst switched off rides quite normally though the extra weight is noticeable, using low gears more makes riding better form a start as a normal bike.
Inclines are really where the hub weight is more noticeable and much more effort is needed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It doesn't take long to acclimatise to electric bike assist and it becoming the norm, it is only when you go back to unassisted riding that you realise how easy assisted riding is.

Rick Oshea

Jul 27, 2018
It doesn't take long to acclimatise to electric bike assist and it becoming the norm, it is only when you go back to unassisted riding that you realise how easy assisted riding is.
Thanks for the reply Neal but iv taken the battery off and tried to ride it and its defo mechanical drag from the hub.if I get up to say 15mph without battery it freewheels fine.but as soon as I start to pedal it feels like the brakes are on.it really is that bad..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Try picking up the rear of the bike and then spin the wheel forward. It will normally spin freely with no real resistance since the Bafang motor has an internal freewheel that disconnects the motor when it's not driving the bike.

Rick Oshea

Jul 27, 2018
Try picking up the rear of the bike and then spin the wheel forward. It will normally spin freely with no real resistance since the Bafang motor has an internal freewheel that disconnects the motor when it's not driving the bike.
Hi Flecc.yes I've done that and it runs free just as the bike freewheels beautifully like a normal bike.as soon as you start to pedal u actually slow down.presumably because the motor is activated by the forward motion of the crank.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome to the site
Lots of bikes have resistance off power
Is it really that bad or just something you will get used to when leg muscles build up a bit

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Flecc.yes I've done that and it runs free just as the bike freewheels beautifully like a normal bike.as soon as you start to pedal u actually slow down.presumably because the motor is activated by the forward motion of the crank.
That can't happen Rick, the rear sprocket is only connected to the external hub shell. There's no connection whatsoever between the chain drive and the internal motor. That only connects through a freewheel to the internal hubshell gear rack.

Believe me, we've all experienced this drag that's so common on e-bikes, one of mine so bad that it's virtually impossible for me to pedal without power. But it's nothing to do with it's Bafang motor, when the wheel spins freely by hand it cannot be contributing to drag.

Rick Oshea

Jul 27, 2018
That can't happen Rick, the rear sprocket is only connected to the external hub shell. There's no connection whatsoever between the chain drive and the internal motor. That only connects through a freewheel to the internal hubshell gear rack.

Believe me, we've all experienced this drag that's so common on e-bikes, one of mine so bad that it's virtually impossible for me to pedal without power. But it's nothing to do with it's Bafang motor, when the wheel spins freely by hand it cannot be contributing to drag.
Guess I'll have to get used to it and get fitter.but thanks

Rick Oshea

Jul 27, 2018
Hi welcome to the site
Lots of bikes have resistance off power
Is it really that bad or just something you will get used to when leg muscles build up a bit
Hi Fat Rat.it is like riding thru treacklewith the brakes on .Someone said it shud get better with wear.I hope so I don't want to go round assisted all the time.I need the exercise. thanks for your help tho.this is the first forum iv joined.everyone is so helpful.I love it.

Reactions: Fat Rat and flecc

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi Fat Rat.it is like riding thru treacklewith the brakes on .Someone said it shud get better with wear.I hope so I don't want to go round assisted all the time.I need the exercise. thanks for your help tho.this is the first forum iv joined.everyone is so helpful.I love it.
No problem
We don’t always agree that’s human nature but the forum as a whole will always try and get to the bottom of issues as much as we can without actually being there
Hope it sorts it’s self out with a bit of use :)

Rick Oshea

Jul 27, 2018
No problem
We don’t always agree that’s human nature but the forum as a whole will always try and get to the bottom of issues as much as we can without actually being there
Hope it sorts it’s self out with a bit of use :)
Hope so too.thanks again

Reactions: Fat Rat

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Check the tyre pressures are okay.
If they're on the lower end of the pressure limits embossed on the tyres, pump them up, but it depends on the terrain you cycle on and your weight to find a happy setting.

Rick Oshea

Jul 27, 2018
Hi JP.thanks for your reply.Tyres are at max 50 psi.roads are smooth.I weigh 97 kg at the moment.iv taken battery off and tried riding but its really tough going and the resistance is defo from rear hub.I've only ever ridden one electric bike and its the one I have.I need to find someone locally to have a go on theirs.I'm also new to pedelecs forum.can I just post where I live and ask fellow bikers if they live near me??

Rick Oshea

Jul 27, 2018
Hi wicky.OK I'll try that.I'm a bit of a technophobe but I'll give it a shot.Even so can I just post a shout out to see if anyone is local to me??thanks for the msg.